AFC Asian Cup 2023

footy

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2019
Marina Dool Rey
AFC has assigned relatively inexperienced Kuwaiti ref for Qtr & IR game. Would be his 13th game, he has whistled a PP Asian level game and one game in this tourney.

Plenty of room for mistakes?

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
AFC has assigned relatively inexperienced Kuwaiti ref for Qtr & IR game. Would be his 13th game, he has whistled a PP Asian level game and one game in this tourney.

Plenty of room for mistakes?
Maybe so, but I don't think he will favor Qatar because he is an Arab.
Iranian media trying really hard to find an excuse if anything go wrong.
In fact no complain when a Chinese (let's say east Asian ref) called a penalty in the last minute

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
AL RAYYAN, Qatar -- Jürgen Klinsmann has accepted responsibility as coach for South Korea's Asian Cup semifinal elimination at the hands of Jordan but said he has no plans to resign.
The former Germany and United States coach said that he was angry after the Taeguk Warriors were beaten 2-0 by Jordan at the Ahmed bin Ali Stadium on Tuesday evening, saying that they were deserved winners.

"A coach is always responsible for how a tournament goes for a team. Absolutely. Our goal was to get into the final and we didn't get into the final," he said.
"You have to accept it, you accept the result like this. It happens because Jordan today deserved that result."

However Klinsmann, a divisive figure in Korea ever since he was appointed to lead a group widely considered to be a golden generation just under a year ago, batted away a question over whether he planned to resign.
"I'm not planning to do anything," he said. "I'm planning to analyse this tournament, to go with the team back to Korea and then talk to the federation about what was good and what was not so good in that tournament.
"I think there was a lot of good stuff that we saw. There's a team that is growing, a team that still has to develop towards the World Cup in the U.S., Mexico and Canada over the next few years, with a very difficult qualifying campaign. So there's a lot of work ahead of us."
Second-half goals to Yazan Al-Naimat and Musa Al-Tamari lifted The Chivalrous Ones to a famous win in Al Rayyan, securing the Middle Eastern nation a berth in its first-ever Asian Cup final.
Despite only having 30% of possession and entering their opponent's penalty area 16 times compared to South Korea's 36, Jordan still outshot Korea 17 to eight, with seven shots on target compared to Korea's none and ended with 1.7 expected goals (xG) compared to 0.82.

His team soundly beaten, Klinsmann was pictured smiling as he congratulated Jordanian coach Hussein Ammouta in the aftermath of the contest, drawing the ire of Korean fans and journalists, especially in contrast to several Korean players in tears on the pitch.
"I am very disappointed. I'm angry because we should have done better," Klinsmann responded.
"When a game is over, and I congratulate another coach and smile just because I'm personally congratulating him, I think that's not a big deal.
"I'm certainly not walking around tonight here and smiling over the place.
"There were reasons why we lost this game. And you have to accept those reasons. The other team showed more on the field, we say then you have to give them respect."

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Jordan’s #9, #10, and #11 were destroying SK defensive line at will. They looked very dangerous every time they had the ball. Not to mention their half backs and defense. Very solid performance by Jordan.

I think Jordan tied SK during group stage if I’m not mistaken.
I can't believe Jordan upset Korea like that by thew ay I missed the first 7 minutes of the Iran Qatar game who scored? damn 1-1 Biranvand made a mistake.
He was too far to the right, by the time he came to the left, dude scored. If we can get passed Qatar, I like our chances vs Jordan. Lol one guy for Qatar
has a last name of Mendez Lucas Mendez and the other is named Pedro. Ya something tells me they are NOT ARABIC.

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
The guy I was worried about Saif #11 scored again shoot Qatar 2-1 Iran. We have to come back, again like we did vs Japan.Stoppage time so we got about 45 min+ second half stoppage to equalize or we go home. So far, we are playing our worst game. Possible handball.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
what a player this Afif guy is ? overall Iran player head is not in the game, just complaining. the first 10 min i thought 3 goals for Iran but things were changed.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Goddos has been even worse
Ya Ghoddos has been basically a non-factor all tournament. I think both of them are starting to show their age a bit in this tournament.
what a player this Afif guy is ? overall Iran player head is not in the game, just complaining. the first 10 min i thought 3 goals for Iran but things were changed.
He is fabulous! I knew he was going to cause us problems.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Goddos has been even worse
Ya Ghoddos has been basically a non-factor all tournament. I think both of them are starting to show their age a bit in this tournament.
Possible penalty review VAR. They can't get away with this forever, one hand ball needs to go our way.peanlty
Goal. In the Asian World Cup Qualifiers, I would consider replacing Alireza Jahanbaksh and Saman Ghoddos.
They were both great layers
when they were young but clearly, they are not the same guys anymore. Outside of taking penalty kicks, Jahanbaksh did not do much but that was still more than what Ghoodos did. Just an observation, let's give some younger guys a chance.

Last edited: