Afshin Ghotbi Dedicated Thread!

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Typical Iranian mentality..players couldnt handle the pressure and fans' expectation were too high!

Now we know where his Green movement rants came from..on his way to Japan, he talks about return to Iran again! "I can never say never to Iran."

AFC-

Saturday, 22 January 2011 20:01
Doha: Iran coach Afshin Ghotbi felt the weight of expectation perhaps proved too much for his players as the three-time champions saw their AFC Asian Cup Qatar 2011 title hopes ended by Korea Republic on Saturday.
The two sides were contesting at the quarter-final stage of the continental tournament for the fifth successive edition and, just as in past encounters, it was a typically close fought affair at Qatar Sports Club Stadium.

After a gruelling 90 minutes ended goalless the game went to extra time, where Korea Republic finally broke the deadlock towards the end of the first period of extra time when substitute Yoon Bit-garam struck to secure a 1-0 victory.

Iran had ambitions of ending a wait of 35 years to lift the AFC Asian Cup trophy once again and Ghotbi conceded that the desire to please the country’s people may have affected the mentality of his players.

“This championship was very important to our players and our team,” said the 46-year-old. “When we reached the second phase we started believing we could be champion and make the people of Iran happy.

“When these two sides meet anything can happen. We tried very hard to get the players to relax and play football, but the Koreans did very well in the midfield and closing down space.

“At half time we talked about it and I think in the second half we improved but not as we would have liked. Again it comes to the importance of winning and I think it got to the players.

“They are tired of not coming home with the trophy for 35 years and they wanted to do this for the people.”

The match marked the last game in charge of the national team for Ghotbi, who steps down to return to club football with Japanese side Shimizu S-Pulse, and the former Persepolis boss is confident he leaves Iran with a bright future ahead of them.

“This team has a great future and a lot of rising stars and I will follow them from a distance,” he said.

“I want to thank the Iranian people for all their support over the last three years. There are moments with Iran I will never forget.”

As for a potential return to management in Iran somewhere down the line, Ghotbi was ruling nothing out and added: “Iran is where I was born and you can never say never.

“If an opportunity comes in the next 20 years - and I hope to work for the next 20 years - then I will consider and explore that opportunity at that time.”

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
He is right...our players couldn't cope with pressure.. it got a little better in the second half, but not enough.. South Korea was way ahead of us in every aspect of the game, but then again, we knew that going in.

dariush-44

Bench Warmer
Oct 15, 2004
^ I agree. he pointed out the exact problem! Our players had too much pressure on them for some reason. They had fear from minute one as if they were playing Brazil in the World Cup.

that's when as a coach, you have to try to use the half time whistle to collect your players and make them feel good about their abilities. Not sure Ghotbi did that during the half or not!

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Iranian players can not win big games. They always fall. Go see the list I have put up of all the Overtime and PK shootout losses that I can remember. Iranians do not have the mantality to win big games. We have always lost them and unfortunately the trend will continue.

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
I agree with him, the players seemed afraid and nervous to have any decent build-up. They quickly resorted to long balls (even when not under pressure), and when they did pass it was often sloppy. They looked afraid to keep possession.

Feb 7, 2009
Iranian players can not win big games. They always fall. Go see the list I have put up of all the Overtime and PK shootout losses that I can remember. Iranians do not have the mantality to win big games. We have always lost them and unfortunately the trend will continue.
Sad but true lack of confident some thing that has to do with our culture.

xoraster

IPL Player
Oct 21, 2002
I agree with him, the players seemed afraid and nervous to have any decent build-up. They quickly resorted to long balls (even when not under pressure), and when they did pass it was often sloppy. They looked afraid to keep possession.

It surprises me that someone who write so.

Specially somone who seems active and watches a lot of football.

Hasnt Aghily and Hosseini ALWAYS belted the ball forward, particularly when under pressure? Hosseini did so even in a u23 tournamnet. I counted in one game, 15 times in 45 minutes.

Its not about the coach TELLING his players how to pass but rather PICKING players who can handle the ball and pass when pressured.

What can Guardiola do to Hosseini & Aghily? Tell them to pass the ball short?

You pick 2 central defenders who cant pass plus 3 defensive midfielders expecting what?

Its not that Guardiola and Del Bosque tell thir teams to keep the ball, but rather pick or promote players who have that ability.

Its no coincidence that Iran played its best offensive game when Hadadifar was playing and Agily & Hosseini were not.

We could have Bagheri, Karimi and Azizi in our midfield and Guardiola coaching us, as long as Hosseini &Agily are in central defence, Iran will never be able to establish possession.

When even North Korea has more possession than you, you need to look at how your team is constructed.

May 12, 2007
Our physical strenght was questionable and after 90 minutes or less we lost concentration.
Ghotbi had no idea what to do when Ansarifar could not get the ball. Go back and
see how viera made a substitution when Iran was behind 2:0 against australia and
Daei and Azizi started to touch the ball. Khalatbari, Pejman Nori should have been substituted. NN is rarely usefull in Ghotbis system while in Daei, Brankos system he
was greate.
Ghotbi dose not take risk even when we are behind. He could have taken one defender out and add a midfilder to strengh at the midfield specially in final minutes. He is a good coach but far from ideal.

eerooni

Bench Warmer
Nov 9, 2002
Toronto
A Coach is only one person, a team is 11, when did Ghotbi ever want our team to lose???!! He sent the players in to win, but it seems our boys lack self belief and discipline to win important games. Korea was a MUCH better team from minute one and they deservedly won, lets not break all the "Kaseh Koozeh" on Ghotbi's head.. he did a great job, but our football is weak at grass roots level....something beyond ghotbis control....

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
A Coach is only one person, a team is 11, when did Ghotbi ever want our team to lose???!! He sent the players in to win, but it seems our boys lack self belief and discipline to win important games. Korea was a MUCH better team from minute one and they deservedly won, lets not break all the "Kaseh Koozeh" on Ghotbi's head.. he did a great job, but our football is weak at grass roots level....something beyond ghotbis control....
But nobody says Ghotbi wanted our team to lose and he did this on purpose. It's just that he thought he knew how to win. He was wrong. and many of us knew that from before. That's what's frustrating!

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I find it very ironic that the genius analyzer that we brought from Korea couldn't beat what he was supposed to be an expert at. Fucking slut.

Goes to show it doesn't really matter if you're born and educated in the west or some village in khorasan if you don't have sharraf you'll fucking sell yourself out and back stab your own people.

Fuck off Ghotbi and good riddance.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
I find it very ironic that the genius analyzer that we brought from Korea couldn't beat what he was supposed to be an expert at. Fucking slut.

Goes to show it doesn't really matter if you're born and educated in the west or some village in khorasan if you don't have sharraf you'll fucking sell yourself out and back stab your own people.

Fuck off Ghotbi and good riddance.
not trying to defend anyone here, but dont you think it MIGHT just MIGHT have also something to do with the fact that K-League is much better than IPL? than Korea has a player playing in Man U. ? than the facilities provided to Koreans are better than to Iranians? Korea making to World Cup 1/8 ?I personally think those stuff is WAY more important than who your coach is. Coach is not a magician , if the players cant deliver, they just cant.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
^^His quote will go down history with Khomeinis quote of man ab& bargh ra majani mikonam.
"Man Teame Koreh ra mesle kafe dastam mishnasam"

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
not trying to defend anyone here, but dont you think it MIGHT just MIGHT have also something to do with the fact that K-League is much better than IPL? than Korea has a player playing in Man U. ? than the facilities provided to Koreans are better than to Iranians? Korea making to World Cup 1/8 ?I personally think those stuff is WAY more important than who your coach is. Coach is not a magician , if the players can deliver, they just cant.
I'm sorry but Zob had a much more respectable final with Korea's rep. At least they didn't defend with 10 men and have 3 Defensive mids.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Hasnt Aghily and Hosseini ALWAYS belted the ball forward, particularly when under pressure? Hosseini did so even in a u23 tournamnet. I counted in one game, 15 times in 45 minutes.

What can Guardiola do to Hosseini & Aghily? Tell them to pass the ball short?

You pick 2 central defenders who cant pass plus 3 defensive midfielders expecting what?
So he should have picked whom?

And yes, our best game was with Hadadifar, against UAE that was already knocked out by the time we started to flood them with goals.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
not trying to defend anyone here, but dont you think it MIGHT just MIGHT have also something to do with the fact that K-League is much better than IPL? than Korea has a player playing in Man U. ? than the facilities provided to Koreans are better than to Iranians? Korea making to World Cup 1/8 ?I personally think those stuff is WAY more important than who your coach is. Coach is not a magician , if the players cant deliver, they just cant.
I'm sorry but Zob had a much more respectable final with Korea's rep. At least they didn't defend with 10 men and have 3 Defensive mids.

I agree with both of you !

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
btw. you could take the stuff Ghotbi said and use him against him much better. He pretty much showed that he is not capable to coach a game at knockout stage, as his initial line-up and subs(Heydari good, Shojaei and Gholami pretty bad, especially since the Shojaei sub involved Ansarifard out and then subbing in a worse forward with similar attributes hence wasting a sub) didn't turn well.

But instead we criticize that he played Aghili and Hosseini in defense and not Pique and Baresi.

xoraster

IPL Player
Oct 21, 2002
btw. you could take the stuff Ghotbi said and use him against him much better. He pretty much showed that he is not capable to coach a game at knockout stage, as his initial line-up and subs(Heydari good, Shojaei and Gholami pretty bad, especially since the Shojaei sub involved Ansarifard out and then subbing in a worse forward with similar attributes hence wasting a sub) didn't turn well.

But instead we criticize that he played Aghili and Hosseini in defense and not Pique and Baresi.

Its because it starts from there.

You can have Ansarifard, and put Pedro and Villa next to him.

As long as Aghilys passes are going over their head, they can buy a chocolat con chorrus, sit in the grass and enjoy the game.

Thats why TM never in the last 3-4 years have been able to establish possession and keep the ball against teams that press them.

Thats why sepahan cannot even make it to the 2nd round of CL because its the same picture when they play against a team that pushes their players forward.

So he took out Ansarifard, or put in Shojaei, or had khalat to letf or Rezaei to right. So what?

When your under immense pressure, and then get the ball after 2-3 minutes, hoof it forward just to se it come back, and then hoof it forward, for it to come back, so you can hoof it forward- So what. Davil Villa could have been Iran striker yesterday, in excactly which sequence would he have made a difference?

Its a rare feat, to play 120 minutes of football and not even create one good chance, or decent shot on goal from open play.
Its actually very rare. Even a team such as Santander created more against Barca than Iran did against Korea.