Airbus to deliver 114 planes after sanctions are lifted

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
Now, even Bombardier eyeing significant opportunities in Iran as Canadian new lefty government starting to show THE big smiles to towelheads.
Bombardier, the Montreal-based manufacturer of planes and trains, is exploring how to get in on that market, despite facing challenges that confront all Canadian businesses looking to deal in Iran.

The Bombardier C-Series are twin-engine, medium-range jet airliners currently under development by Canadian manufacturer Bombardier Aerospace.
The C-Series models are the 110-seat CS100 and the 135-seat CS300.

As known before, the Bombardier Transportation Signal has been involved in Tehran Metro through chinese CRCC.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Yet another stupid investment by the Iranian Government.

so long as these Visa Issues Remain, alcohol issue remains; Iran is not gonna be competitive in long haul or medium haul game.
so why waste the country's money on it.

but even if it was. we are well past the era of flag carrier Era.

What Iran needs is whole bunch of short range planes for serving the needs of the country internally. not a whole of of A320 or A320 neos.
What a ridiculous argument. People who use IranAir to travel deserve to feel safe. Secondly, how do you know this is not part of a grander plan to change things? You can not lift visa issues alone without providing other attractive means. I have heard that one mission of Sepah is to turn IKA into a major transit hub and looking at the constructions around the airport I don't think they are being built for show.

Anyway, all air fleet need upgrading from time to time and Iran's has not been upgraded for many many years.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
By the way, the era of flag carrying airlines is not over by a stretch. You only need to look at the investments made by the likes of British Airways, KLM, Air France, Lufthansa, Emirates, Qatar, Malaysian Airlines, and many more to realise this. Many people still prefer to travel with mainstream major airlines than budget airlines.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
The Latest: Iran signs deal to buy 118 Airbus plans. More than 300 are expected to be signed.

I do not like the way they keep Boeing out of this!

PARIS — The Latest on Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's visit to Europe (all times local):

5:45 p.m.
Iran Air has signed a deal to buy 118 aircraft from Airbus in the first of an expected host of commercial deals expected to be announced during the visit of Iranian President Hassan Rouhani to Paris.
Rouhani and French President Francois Hollande are expected to oversee the signing of about 20 bilateral agreements.
__

3:55 p.m.
The Iranian president is meeting with his French counterpart at the Elysee palace.
Hassan Rouhani, smiling, walked across the Elysee courtyard in front of the Republican Guards to be formally welcomed by Francois Hollande.
The two heads of state are to discuss Iran's role in peacemaking in the region, notably in Syria and Yemen, as well as other issues.
The meeting is scheduled to last for about two hours. Then Rouhani and Hollande are expected to oversee the signing of about 20 bilateral agreements.
They will give a joint news conference following their meeting.

Last edited:

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
nobody else is buying A380s.
but some genius in Iran decided that we need A380s probably to fly to Beijing or LA. or Canada.

this is while the only airport in Iran that has even tested A380 (one landing) is the Emam Airport.
apparently the second runway is not operational yet.

There is no metro connectivity to southern Tehran (or MehrAbad).

There are still no connection flights say form Mashahd to Emam AirPort or shiraz or Ahavaz.
Talk about misplaced priorities.

one thing in common between Shah government and IRI government is bailing out western companies with sweet heart deal

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
What a ridiculous argument. People who use IranAir to travel deserve to feel safe. Secondly, how do you know this is not part of a grander plan to change things? You can not lift visa issues alone without providing other attractive means. I have heard that one mission of Sepah is to turn IKA into a major transit hub and looking at the constructions around the airport I don't think they are being built for show.

Anyway, all air fleet need upgrading from time to time and Iran's has not been upgraded for many many years.
What you don't understand is running an airline is a very intense business.

the very emirates you mentioned is run a by a British guy that does not allow his planes to idle a single day (or even few hours)
have you ever seen how emriates flies into SFO or IAH or IAD. and then two hours laters it is on its back to Dubai.

IranAir will not be running its planes like that. But even if it did. It will not be charging market prices. it will be in essence subsidizing
the life style of upper middle class iranians. that's while people in Abadan still do not have a Centralized Waste Water System.

I rather any Iranian government to spend money rail infrastructure.
spend it on a better electric grid.
spent on a proper highway connecting Bandar Abbas all the way to Tehran or Mashahd.
Spend money on a proper highway connecting Ahvaz to Kurdistand and then to Tabriz and Astara.
A Proper highway to From Chahabahr to Mashhad.

than planes with cheap tickets for a bunch of brats to fly to Antalyia or Thialand.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
What you don't understand is running an airline is a very intense business.

the very emirates you mentioned is run a by a British guy that does not allow his planes to idle a single day (or even few hours)
have you ever seen how emriates flies into SFO or IAH or IAD. and then two hours laters it is on its back to Dubai.

IranAir will not be running its planes like that. But even if it did. It will not be charging market prices. it will be in essence subsidizing
the life style of upper middle class iranians. that's while people in Abadan still do not have a Centralized Waste Water System.

I rather any Iranian government to spend money rail infrastructure.
spend it on a better electric grid.
spent on a proper highway connecting Bandar Abbas all the way to Tehran or Mashahd.
Spend money on a proper highway connecting Ahvaz to Kurdistand and then to Tabriz and Astara.
A Proper highway to From Chahabahr to Mashhad.

than planes with cheap tickets for a bunch of brats to fly to Antalyia or Thialand.
All that is valid. But for god's sake, the Iranian regime doesn't do this kind of thing for profit. Iran Air is heavily subsidised by the government because it does not make a profit. You are comparing Iranian government run business with a properly run private business which the wrong comparison. Making a profit is not in their mind and they will subsidise the operations of these airlines from oil money.

The issue is some of the current planes are so old that many countries would not allow them in their air space. Look what happened to the Mahan flight that was landing at Birmingham airport in the UK. Mahan was banned from UK airspace after that and has not been allowed back in since.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
All that is valid. But for god's sake, the Iranian regime doesn't do this kind of thing for profit. Iran Air is heavily subsidised by the government because it does not make a profit. You are comparing Iranian government run business with a properly run private business which the wrong comparison. Making a profit is not in their mind and they will subsidise the operations of these airlines from oil money.
It is precisely my point to challenge the view in Iranian affluent society
that spending so much money on buying planes is a good idea.

It is policy that benefits very few in the society. a Government not Just IRI, not just Shah, any government's
first priority should not subsidizing the lifestyle of a country upper percentiles who can afford to fly to foreign places.

unfortunately In Iran. Whether we are talking about Shah's Era or IRI era. anytime the government does something
that only benefits the upper percentiles. nobody challenges it.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
It is precisely my point to challenge the view in Iranian affluent society
that spending so much money on buying planes is a good idea.

It is policy that benefits very few in the society. a Government not Just IRI, not just Shah, any government's
first priority should not subsidizing the lifestyle of a country upper percentiles who can afford to fly to foreign places.

unfortunately In Iran. Whether we are talking about Shah's Era or IRI era. anytime the government does something
that only benefits the upper percentiles. nobody challenges it.
What you said is true but Iran is not the only country with this problem. Some would argue that the upper class or 1% in the US receive benefits that the rest do not. Of course it is not as bad as Iran or some other countries like Iran. Sadly both governments had this problem cater to the upper echelon of society and good luck to everybody else. There is some of that in the USA but it is not nearly as bad as Iran or other countries as bad.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
but some genius in Iran decided that we need A380s probably to fly to Beijing or LA. or Canada.

this is while the only airport in Iran that has even tested A380 (one landing) is the Emam Airport.

There are still no connection flights say form Mashahd to Emam AirPort or shiraz or Ahavaz.

one thing in common between Shah government and IRI government is bailing out western companies with sweet heart deal
Renewing 40 year old aircrafts must be and is a priority ,millions of Iranians live abroad and millions in Iran travel by air every year ,surely their safety is a priority and urgency .

I should think A380 flying from LA or Toronto to Tehran will be a full house on almost every flight ,do you not think so ?

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD

The Mehrabad Metro line is close to finishing http://youtu.be/7Wp_JB0_fXE

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Renewing 40 year old aircrafts must be and is a priority ,millions of Iranians live abroad and millions in Iran travel by air every year ,surely their safety is a priority and urgency .

I should think A380 flying from LA or Toronto to Tehran will be a full house on almost every flight ,do you not think so ?
I don't have a problem if those folks are charged market prices. but I really highly doubt that they will be.

as for a380 to Toronto. it is not simple you first have to buy a gate. landing rights all that.

and even then I would much rather see a flight everyday say like Emirates. with 777 or 787.

than have a once per week flight.

I really do not see as making sense for IranAir to operate A380 when virtually no other Iranian airport can receive it.

Feb 22, 2005
Probably makes more sense to get Boeng as Iranians are already familiar with those planes.

Boeing are probably more trustful than European's Airbus.

They should have had Boeing and Airbug fight each other for the pricing. Perhaps, this was a way to force Boeing to push US gov to allow them to make a deal faster.

Either way, there will be alot of money eaten up by the fat Akhoonds, sepah etc in the deal. That is given.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I don't have a problem if those folks are charged market prices. but I really highly doubt that they will be.

as for a380 to Toronto. it is not simple you first have to buy a gate. landing rights all that.

and even then I would much rather see a flight everyday say like Emirates. with 777 or 787.

than have a once per week flight.

I really do not see as making sense for IranAir to operate A380 when virtually no other Iranian airport can receive it.
I don't think getting a gate and landing rights would be a problem with hundreds of thousands of Iranians living in Canada and california and with 12 A380 they could probably do a lot more flights than once a week .

Boeing will be there too ,don't forget Iran needs to buy or ease about 500 planes so Boeing will definitely be there ,personally I like the 777 very much .

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Boeing will be there too ,don't forget Iran needs to buy or ease about 500 planes so Boeing will definitely be there ,personally I like the 777 very much .
That's precisely the line of thinking i don't get!. With the worst kind of Sanctions Iran has managed to stay connected to the world by relying on international careers.
what is the strategic value of operating an airline and with state money!!!

just build the conducive environment have foreign Carriers come and use Iran as hub. Operating an Airline has been such unprofitable operation in the past 30 years that Warren Buffet famously said I will never again invest in an airline.

It is true in the more recent years because of consolidation, airlines have become more profitable. But it still remains a very low-margin business.

if one is is thinking long-term and strategically it makes far more sense for Iran to invest its cargo rail network.

I don't get the love affair with buying planes.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
That's precisely the line of thinking i don't get!. With the worst kind of Sanctions Iran has managed to stay connected to the world by relying on international careers.
what is the strategic value of operating an airline and with state money!!!

just build the conducive environment have foreign Carriers come and use Iran as hub. Operating an Airline has been such unprofitable operation in the past 30 years that Warren Buffet famously said I will never again invest in an airline.

It is true in the more recent years because of consolidation, airlines have become more profitable. But it still remains a very low-margin business.

if one is is thinking long-term and strategically it makes far more sense for Iran to invest its cargo rail network.

I don't get the love affair with buying planes.
A country such as ours with almost 100M people and standing needs it's own national airline for it's prestige ,even if at times it needs to be bail out and supported ,Iran Air used to be one of the best airlines in the world and has the potential to get it's place back .

I felt uncomfortable and a bit sad at Istanbul airport watching the number of Turkish airlines planes parked along side each other , a country with a tiny fraction of the wealth of ours where 30 years ago didn't have a pot to piss on ...

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
Now this is very good news, Boeing Co. is finally open for business in Iran.

Boeing Cleared for Iran Talks After $27 Billion Airbus Haul
The U.S. government cleared the manufacturer to begin talking with approved Iranian carriers about their fleet needs, a first step toward entering the country’s resurgent aircraft market, Boeing said Friday. The planemaker will still need a separate license to complete any commercial jetliner sales.

Ardavan Amir-Aslani, a French-Iranian lawyer who is negotiating deals with Tehran for French companies says the Airbus deal isn't set in stone.
"The agreements that have been signed are not definite, final documents," he says.

Jan 2, 2015
Milanello
Interesting...for some people in this thread, its clearly more important that the american Boeing earns a few milliards of their own rather than the needs and problems of Iran and Iran Air. Its like hey, if Iran is about to get milked, why shouldnt our american Boeing have a share? Its really sad to see people with dubious loyalties and preferences roam on an iranian site and gang up true iranians.

Regarding the issue, well Iran Air needs new planes. However in this deal, once again milliards of iranian peoples money will be redirected on privat bank accounts of agha zadeh haa, many people will take bribes to favor Airbus vs. Boeing and vice versa....business as usual. Iranians have given up tracking those huge losses of financial resources or stopping the bleeding. They steal and people dont care. Every single of those Airbuses or Boeings will cost iranian people 1000 times of its actual cost but we dong care :)