Alfredo Di Stefano has passed away

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

European Cup Semi Final Second Leg match at Old Trafford. Manchester United 2 v Real Madrid 2.
United goalkeeper Ray Wodd comes for the ball during a Real attack watched by United pair Duncan Edwards and William Foulkes and Real's Alfredo Di Stefano. 25th April 1957.

Alfredo Di Stefano is pictured above scoring against Manchester United at Old Trafford in a friendly in 1959.

Sir Bobby Charlton has led Manchester United's tributes to Real Madrid great Alfredo Di Stefano, who passed away on Monday, aged 88.

The Argentinian-born striker scored in the first five European Cup finals as the Spanish giants lifted the trophy on each occasion and was always a respected opponent for Sir Matt Busby and his players. Real were even willing to loan Di Stefano to United in the wake of the Munich disaster as they displayed their support to the club during its darkest hours.

"I was deeply saddened to hear the news of Alfredo Di Stefano's passing," Sir Bobby told ManUtd.com. "As one of the stars of the legendary Real Madrid team, I think Alfredo was one of the best players I ever came across and an extremely intelligent footballer.

"He was somebody I really respected, having watched him from the stands at the Bernabeu and then played against him. I have many fond memories of my time with Alfredo and feel privileged to be able to call him a good friend. The footballing world has lost a great player and a great man.

"I'd like to send my condolences on behalf of everybody at Manchester United to his family and our friends at Real Madrid."

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Thank you for all your services to Real Madrid, Thank you for scoring 307 Goals, Thank you for putting on the Jersey 396 times, Thank you for being part of the team that won 8th La Liga, 1 Copa del Rey and a RECORD 5 in a row European Cup. You will always have a special place in every Madridista's heart, May you Rest in Peace “Saeta Rubia ”

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Some great footage of Alfredo Di Stefano in action.

[video=youtube;IOcbxP2-mdc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOcbxP2-mdc[/video]

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Alfredo Di Stefano with legendary Manchester United manger Sir Matt Busby.
Real Madrid offered to loan Di Stefano to Matt Busby's Manchester United in the aftermath of Munich air disaster
that killed 8 Manchester United players.but the Football Association blocked it as he would be taking the place of a potential British player.

Legend of the game: Alfredo Di Stefano with Manchester United heroes Sir Bobby Charlton and Bill Foulkes

"I couldn't take my eyes off one player. I'd never seen anything like it in my life"

- Bobby Charlton

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

A picture from May 25 in 1960 shows Di Stefano posing with five European trophies he won with Real Madrid

Di Stefano - winner of five consecutive European cups with Real Madrid as player between 1956 and 1960 - went on to coach Real Madrid in two separate spells.

In his first stint, Di Stefano came up against Alex Ferguson's Aberdeen in the 1983 European Cup Winners' Cup final, which was won by the Scottish club 2-1 after extra time in Sweden - a meeting that Sir Alex Ferguson remembers clearly.

"It was an honour to come up against Di Stefano. what I did, out of respect for him, was I bought a bottle of Scottish Malt whisky and gave it to him the night before the match when the two teams had an opportunity to train on the pitch at the venue for the final."

"We were second, they were first. When he came off, they were coming down the tunnel and I said 'Mr Di Stefano, I'd like to give you this gift.' He was taken aback, he was really taken aback."

"He said, 'Aberdeen are a team that money can't buy. They have a soul, and a family spirit'. Those words – you couldn't say any more, in terms of praise for a football team. It was very generous of him."

-Sir Alex Ferguson

Last edited:

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

A well written obituary by Guardian's Brian Glanville

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/07/alfredo-di-stefano

Alfredo Di Stéfano obituary

Centre-forward of the all-conquering Real Madrid football team of the 1950s, which won five European Cups in a row

Alfredo Di Stéfano, who has died aged 88, was the inspirational leader of the Real Madrid team of the 1950s, one of the best, and certainly one of the most successful, club sides of all time. It won five European Cups in a row, starting with the inaugural tournament in 1956. He was a centre-forward of versatility and authority: his greatness lay not only in his prolific goalscoring, but in his ability to influence play in all areas of the pitch in an era when players stuck to their positions and were relatively static. His stamina was legendary and even in his veteran years he could bring off a sliding tackle in his own penalty area, then in the next minute pop up at the other end for a shot at goal. This individual brilliance, combined with an imperious air, enabled him to orchestrate a team to play to his command.

The young Bobby Charlton watched Di Stéfano from the stands as a Manchester United reserve at Real's Bernabéu stadium in 1957, and later wrote that his first impression was: "Who is this man? He takes the ball from the goalkeeper, he tells the full-backs what to do; wherever he is on the field he is in position to take the ball, you can see his influence on everything that is happening … I had never seen such a complete footballer … It was as though he had set up his own command centre at the heart of the game. He was as strong as he was subtle. You just could not keep your eyes off him." Di Stéfano was not as naturally gifted as Pelé or Diego Maradona, but Charlton is one of many former players and managers who regarded him as the best all-round footballer in the history of the game.

Over a 20-year period, Di Stéfano was the guiding light of three teams in three different countries: at River Plate, briefly, in his native Argentina; at Millonarios of Bogotá in Colombia; and then, most famously, with Real Madrid in his adopted Spain. Extraordinarily, he also represented all three of those countries, but despite his dominance at club level, Di Stéfano never played in the World Cup finals.

Di Stéfano was born in Buenos Aires, the grandson of immigrants from Capri and son of Alfredo senior, also a footballer who had played for the Buenos Aires club River Plate, and his wife Eulalia, of French and Irish origin. He grew up and learned to play football in the streets of the working-class suburb of Barracas and later, after his father had retired from the game, on a farm on the edge of the city.

Curiously he was still in River Plate's third team at the age of 19, as an outside-right, and after quarrelling with the club over money he was loaned to neighbouring Club Atlético Huracán. But River Plate soon took him back and he became a star, winning the Argentinian championship as top scorer in 1947, and nicknamed the Blond Arrow for his explosive speed. The same year he helped Argentina win the 1947 South American championship, scoring six goals in six matches – his only appearances for his native country.

In 1949, a footballers' strike in Argentina prompted Di Stéfano and many other Argentinian players to defect to a breakaway Colombian league that was outside the remit of Fifa and therefore not obliged to pay transfer fees, but able to pay big wages to some of the world's best players. Along with two other Argentinians, the legendary striker Adolfo Pedernera and defender Néstor Rossi, he joined Millonarios. There he won three league championships in four years and, despite the dubious status of the Colombian set-up, the team was considered one of the best in the world.

"We succeeded in building a team so strong and so homogeneous," Di Stéfano said, "that it was hard to find another like it." But Millonarios's bubble burst in 1953 when Colombia rejoined Fifa and Di Stéfano suddenly found himself without a club, and with heavy losses when he had to sell his property in Bogotá. On Millonarios's final tour of Europe, Di Stéfano ran rings around the Real Madrid defence, and the Spanish club coveted him from that moment.

His move to Spain was one of the most acrimonious and bizarre transfer deals in football history. Real wanted him and agreed a fee with Millonarios, but so did bitter rivals Barcelona, who tried to outflank Madrid by agreeing a transfer with his former club River Plate, who still held Di Stéfano's official registration, claiming his move to Colombia had been illegal.

He eventually signed for Barcelona but the Spanish football federation failed to recognise the transfer and, in a Solomonic judgment, decreed that the two clubs share him and he play alternate seasons for each. Crucially, however – and, the Catalan club claimed, with Francoist backing – the federation gave Real first bite. When Di Stéfano started his first season slowly Barcelona were persuaded to sell their rights to the player – a decision they would regret.

Four days later he scored a hat-trick against Barcelona, and that was just the start. In just 30 games that 1953-54 season he scored 27 goals, leading Real to the Spanish championship for the first time in 21 years and sparking an unprecedented era of domestic and European domination. In 11 seasons at Real he won eight Spanish titles (he scored 218 goals in 282 games and was the league's top scorer in four seasons straight); five consecutive European Cups (scoring in all five finals); the inaugural Intercontinental Cup in 1960, played between the European and South American champions; and was named European Footballer of the Year in 1957 and 1959.

Real's apotheosis was the 7-3 victory against Eintracht Frankfurt in the 1960 European Cup final held at Hampden Park, Glasgow. In the autumn of his career he struck up a famous partnership with another great striker of the 1950s, the Hungarian Ferenc Puskás. Both were then in their mid-30s, Di Stéfano balding and Puskás with a pot belly, but that evening more than 125,000 Scottish fans were held spellbound by their sublime, almost exotic skill in what is still regarded as one of the greatest games ever. Di Stéfano scored three goals and Puskás four.

Di Stéfano scored 49 goals in 58 European Cup ties, a remarkable feat, while the sheer elan of the Real Madrid side quickly established the cup as the world's greatest club competition. Yet despite the dominance of both the player and Spanish clubs in European competitions, neither he nor Spain fared as well at international level.

While he was still eligible to play for Argentina, their football federation withdrew from the 1950 and 1954 World Cups. In 1949, at Millonarios, he played four games for Colombia, though they were not recognised by Fifa. He took Spanish nationality in 1956, but his adopted country failed to qualify for the 1958 World Cup, and after helping them reach the finals in Chile four years later, at the age of 35, he was injured and did not play in the tournament, or again for Spain.

He never exerted quite the same influence or elicited the same success for Spain as with Real. Perhaps this was because he could not aspire to running the show, as he did with Real, when there was the twin presence of the powerful Barcelona midfielder Luis Suárez Miramontes and his mentor Helenio Herrera, the national team's flamboyant but defence-minded manager, a fellow Argentinian émigré whom Di Stéfano could not abide.

But "Don Alfredo" never did share his podium willingly with anybody, as the brilliant Brazilian inside-forward Didi and the Swedish international centre-forward, Agne Simonsson, found when they joined Real Madrid after the 1958 World Cup, in which both had flourished. Di Stéfano practically refused to pass the ball to them and Didi would later complain that his time at Real Madrid was the worst of his career.

Even Puskás, a dominating figure himself, the captain and star of the dazzling Hungary team of the early 1950s, had to compromise and found his modus vivendi with Di Stéfano when, level on goals with him in the last league match of a Spanish season, he passed to let Di Stéfano score, rather than score himself.

On leaving Madrid in 1964, aged 38, Di Stéfano finally went to play in Barcelona, but for the city's "other" team, the royalist Real Club Deportivo Español rather than Barca, one final rebuff for the fiercely partisan Catalan club.

Di Stéfano was a de facto coach on the pitch, so when he retired from playing, aged almost 40, moving into management was a natural progression. He managed eight clubs in almost 25 years (three of them on more than one occasion), guiding Boca Juniors and River Plate to Argentinian league titles, and Valencia to the European Cup Winners' Cup and Spanish title. He returned to his beloved Real Madrid in 1982 but that season ended in despondency when the team finished runners-up in five competitions: the Spanish league, cup, Supercup League Cup and to underdogs Aberdeen in the European Cup Winners' Cup final.

However, despite his success as a coach, as with many great former players turned managers he felt like an impotent bystander on the touchline, once commenting that, "Apart from [the compensation of] working with the young," he said, "it's the most horrible profession that could exist."

In 2000 he was made honorary life president of Real Madrid, and in 2006 the club inaugurated a stadium at the club's new training facilities named after him.

His wife Sara died in 2005; they had six children.

• Alfredo Stéfano Di Stéfano Lauhlé, football player and manager, born 4 July 1926; died 7 July 2014

A match made in heaven with Ferenc Puskás

They say that one day in the summer of 1958 the former Real Madrid director, Antonio Calderón, asked Di Stéfano: "Alfredo, what do you make of the new guy?". "He controls the ball with his left foot better than I can with my hand", he replied.
Di Stéfano admired Ferenc Puskás hugely, and it was with him that he formed the best strike force in Real Madrid's history, together with Kopa, Rial and Gento. The world marvelled at their attacking prowess and they gave the Whites many glorious evenings. "I've lost a friend and an ace, that's what Puskás was as a footballer and as a person. He was one of the best of all time", declared Di Stéfano on the death of his soul mate on 17th September, 2006.
Di Stéfano called him 'Pancho'. They were both born in the same year (1926) and they always had a great relationship off the pitch. "He was exceptional, a very generous man; money burned a hole in his pocket. A good, honest, affectionate and wonderful man. 'Pancho' is exceptional.
Often, when we were playing together, I'd pass to him, I'd see the way he was going to meet the ball with his left foot and I'd turn around shouting "Goal!". And it would be a goal. He never missed. He'd put it wherever he wanted to. He'd hit it and even if there were three keepers you couldn't keep those shots out", said Don Alfredo.