Ali Karimi

Aug 26, 2005
I came across this video and it hit me hard with nostalgia. I don't care if he didn't fulfill his potential (which in my really biased opinion was in the top 10 in the world), he's the greatest Iranian player ever for me.

[video=youtube;0ievvNEfXso]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ievvNEfXso[/video]

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
I came across this video and it hit me hard with nostalgia. I don't care if he didn't fulfill his potential (which in my really biased opinion was in the top 10 in the world), he's the greatest Iranian player ever for me.

[video=youtube;0ievvNEfXso]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ievvNEfXso[/video]
What a talent! Alas, he personifies the word underachiever.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
What a mysterious legend. His game was never really understood by anyone. I don't think even he himself ever got a hold of the pattern. His moments of brilliance were all unique and never reproduced in another game. Every game was different. Every dribble looked new. Every goal was original.

Can't say the same about many top players. This guy had genius wrapped around his boots. Look at his hands when he's dribbling. I don't know anyone who plays like that.

You may say he never reached his potential, but thinking about it, I don't think he ever had a chance to begin with. He was born in the wrong country at the wrong time and was coached by the wrong people. Even when he moved to Europe, he ended up at the wrong team with the wrong manager. It just wasn't meant to be.

Aug 26, 2005
What a mysterious legend. His game was never really understood by anyone. I don't think even he himself ever got a hold of the pattern. His moments of brilliance were all unique and never reproduced in another game. Every game was different. Every dribble looked new. Every goal was original.

Can't say the same about many top players. This guy had genius wrapped around his boots. Look at his hands when he's dribbling. I don't know anyone who plays like that.

You may say he never reached his potential, but thinking about it, I don't think he ever had a chance to begin with. He was born in the wrong country at the wrong time and was coached by the wrong people. Even when he moved to Europe, he ended up at the wrong team with the wrong manager. It just wasn't meant to be.
You hit the nail on the head bro. Ali Karimi was really one of a kind.

He had the dribbling and later on when he matured the vision and passing - both feet. And what was incredible about Karimi, unlike other skillful dribbles, is that he would run towards the players and beat them one at a time through sheer skill. He didn't use the runners around him to create space, he didn't use angles or pure speed; he just raped defenders almost at will. He had a natural talent to create opportunities, forcefully, that I've not seen from other players.

I definitely agree with your remark about him being born in the wrong country, club and manager. Fortune seemed to be against him at every turn. But I loved watching him play. When he was wearing the TM uniform I knew that no matter how shit the rest of the team was, if Karimi had one of his games he, by himself, could give us an outside shot against the big-guns.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
His second goal against South Korea in 2004 (On Mahdavikia's cross) was his most beautiful one. The close second best IMO, was his first goal in the same game (with Kaebi's assist).

I remember back in 2001, in the 2002 WC qualifying games, if Daei was out of a game, I was a bit worried but not as worried as if Karimi was out. He was so damn effective at that time! What a player he was!

We had the luck to see so many great players playing around the same time. Daei, Azizi, Bagheri, Mahdavikia, Karimi, Hashemian, Nekounam. Unfortunately our luck has turned and the players we have today are not even a "nokhod" of what we had before. :(

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Ali Karimi is a genius in the football field and also someone I could gladly call Pahlavan .

If you want to go there then all our talented athletes were born in the wrong country and many talents that didn't even make it to Iran league for reasons we all know about.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
If you want to go there then all our talented athletes were born in the wrong country and many talents that didn't even make it to Iran league for reasons we all know about.
The difference is, Karimi, despite all the shortcomings and even his own wrong attitude at times, managed to beat the crap out everyone and even showed to be a potentially serious force at top level.

There are many talented and dedicated footballers in the world who don't make it due to various reasons. This guy made it with admittedly less dedication to the game than many others. All he failed to do was shine at the topmost level. He did pretty well for a guy who according to his own friends was "fed up with football" at 28!

He had a lot in him, but it was too complex of a jewel-box to be sorted in time. He got old.

Nov 24, 2002
Unique player, unique talent . as soroush said. sad part is he was born in iran but beside other factors,he should take part of blame too . he wasted some very good years of his career in UAE ! Karimi should join Europe at age of 21-22 max not 26-27
when you talk with any no Iranian , he is the name that they mention first following by Daei . maybe players like kia achieved more in Europe but karimi being spectacular player is something that most people notice

Last edited:

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
ali kaimi.jpg
ali kaimi2.jpg
ali karimi3.jpg
ali karimi 4.jpg

نمی***دانم از علی*** کریمی*** چی*** بنویسم.اما آنچه را که میدانم اینست که او خدا را هم دریبل کرد.منظورم تکنیک و تاکتیکش نیست،منظورم صفات پهلوان منش اوست که از او یک اسطوره میسازد.در دوران زندگی و قهرمانی ما انسانها همیشه قهرمانانی در آسمان طلائی ایران زمین طلوع کرده***اند که همواره افتخارت زیادی را برای ایران زمین کسب کرده اند.امثال دایی،پروین،رضازاده،محمد نصیری،ابراهیم جوادی،و هزاران قهرمان دیگر که افتخارات بسیاری را برایمان کسب کردند،اما اینها قهرمان هستند،ولی*** اسطوره نیستند،چرا که محبوب قلبها نبودند و نیستند و وجهه مردمی ندارند.

اما علی*** کریمی*** داستان دیگریست در آسمان ایران زمین،بازیکن معروفی*** که در تنهاییش سراغ کودکان سرطانی میرود،عرق سرد را از پیشانی مادر فرزندی که پول شب را ندارد تا فرزندش را سیر کند ،بر می***دارد،به پرورشگاه میرود و دل*** بچه***های بی*** سرپرست را شاد می***کند و هزاران چیز دیگر که در این پست نمی***گنجد...درود بر اون پدر و مادری که این فرزند لایق ایران زمین را این چنین تربیت کرده اند.

روی همین اصل،چند عکس قدیمی*** او را برایتان میفرستم......

kasra1930

National Team Player
Dec 30, 2011
ppp.jpg

اسفند 1379: مرحله یک چهارم نهایی جام باشگاههای آسیا
پرسپولیس 0 الاتحاد عربستان 0

ایستاده از راست: داوود فنایی؛ باهنر، بزیک، انصاریان، رأفت، پیروانی
نشسته از راست: جباری، کاویانپور، کریمی، رهبری فر، استیلی
پرسپولیس پس از حذف الوکره در دو بازی رفت و برگشت با نتیجه 4-2 در قطر و 5-1 در تهران العین امارات را نیز 4-2 در مجموع رفت و برگشت حذف کرد و به یک چهارم نهایی رسید.... در یک چهارم نهایی در گروه غرب آسیا با الاتحاد عربستان پاولودار قزاقستان و الهلال عربستان در این گروه اول شد و دو تیم عربستانی در تهران زمین گیر شدند و مانند دو نیمه نهایی جام حذفی باشگاههای آسیا در سالهای 1990 و 1991 توسط پرسپولیس حذف شدند

Aug 21, 2005
next door
i beg to differ, HE had the chance to become a BIG TIME PLAYER but choice not too!!! he shy away from challenge. Okay you many say he did not have the right people around him, True, he never had a good manager to help him with decision making. when he had the chance to go to Europe with Athelatico Mardrid he went to UAE for 5 years!! when he should not have gone to Bundesliga and instead should have gone to a different league with his style of playing he choice to go to Bundesliga!

even his manger mentioned that when tv channels show Championsleague and everyone is watching the game, Ali is watching movie on tv and does not care about football!!

if what you say is true then why are so many african players in europe, they all come from poor countries yet they pursue their dream with their heart and soul and get what they want!!

He was a great player and could have been something especial if he had the fire and enthusiasm a STAR would need to succeed.

i do accept the idea that he did not have the chance to succeed, case in point, Hashemian, Mkia, Daei, bagheri, Azizi, nekunam. how come they could survive with half the talent in europe but Karimi could not make it out of Asia for more then 2 years!!

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
you must be kidding? best player of Iranian history?
He was great Iranian player. I would put him at top 5 not with skills rather accomplishments.

Karimi at the national level decided to have a big that fight at age of 19 that put him out of football for a year.
he can only blame himself.

He was back in TM for lebenon 2000 but somehow did not convince the coach to give him serious playing time.

Karimi had his golden years between 2001-2005. After his injury in Bayern Munich he was never the same.

karimi's major flaws.
Karimi lacked leadership skills.
he was too selfless, never taking a penalty in TM.
He was never a serious runner. in any given game you expect him to have serious sprint (remember the one in 2004 China or IReland).
His Vertical lift was not the best.

if you could combine Karimi Bagheri and Karimi I think you would no doubt have a great world class player.

In my opinion the greatest player of IRanian history is gone have to be MahdaviKia.
we just don't have anybody else with the same accomplishments.

Nov 24, 2002
you must be kidding? best player of Iranian history?
He was great Iranian player. I would put him at top 5 not with skills rather accomplishments.

Karimi at the national level decided to have a big that fight at age of 19 that put him out of football for a year.
he can only blame himself.

He was back in TM for lebenon 2000 but somehow did not convince the coach to give him serious playing time.

Karimi had his golden years between 2001-2005. After his injury in Bayern Munich he was never the same.

karimi's major flaws.
Karimi lacked leadership skills.
he was too selfless, never taking a penalty in TM.
He was never a serious runner. in any given game you expect him to have serious sprint (remember the one in 2004 China or IReland).
His Vertical lift was not the best.

if you could combine Karimi Bagheri and Karimi I think you would no doubt have a great world class player.

In my opinion the greatest player of IRanian history is gone have to be MahdaviKia.
we just don't have anybody else with the same accomplishments.
karimi never took PK? inam shod dalil lol

karimi lasted 2 season in a club like Bayern and played in 80% of their game in first season , that resume it all .
Bayern had probably the best midfielder in Europe that year , desiler , swhan , scholl, ze Roberto, owen Hargreaves ,demichelis, jeremis , ballack, hasan salihamdzic all these guys on top of their game , no one gave karimi a damn chance to even make it to squad with such a midfielder , not only he made , he played almost in our position in midfielder .. incluing DM !

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
What makes a great player? someguy who can dribble a bunch of guys? some guy who is manages to be a good footballer for 14 years.

I would say all of that puts makes a great Iranian player.
but to be the greatest player of Iranian history you must have accomplishments greater than others.

for instance Daiee's 100 TM goals.
MahdaviKia's two world cup presences.

don't get me wrong Karimi has been great player. I would say for a period of 4 years He was the undisputedly Iran's most effective player.

but he had too many flaws to make him greatest player.

for instance take the fact that he was extremely moody. How many times have you seen karimi be passed the ball.
he takes one look around and makes this half-ass pass to a guy standing 15 feet away.

then your have other instances where he could clearly save energy by simply passing the ball back.
but he chooses instead to dribble 10-15 meters going in reverse direction only to turn around
and come back another 25 meters.

again show me the accomplishments to be iran's greatest ever.

Nov 24, 2002
What makes a great player? someguy who can dribble a bunch of guys? some guy who is manages to be a good footballer for 14 years.

I would say all of that puts makes a great Iranian player.
but to be the greatest player of Iranian history you must have accomplishments greater than others.

for instance Daiee's 100 TM goals.
MahdaviKia's two world cup presences.

don't get me wrong Karimi has been great player. I would say for a period of 4 years He was the undisputedly Iran's most effective player.

but he had too many flaws to make him greatest player.

for instance take the fact that he was extremely moody. How many times have you seen karimi be passed the ball.
he takes one look around and makes this half-ass pass to a guy standing 15 feet away.

then your have other instances where he could clearly save energy by simply passing the ball back.
but he chooses instead to dribble 10-15 meters going in reverse direction only to turn around
and come back another 25 meters.

again show me the accomplishments to be iran's greatest ever.
this is the article me and naveed moula wrote in 2005 , look at Bayern depth in midfielder and judge by your own

http://www.iransportspress.com/isp-editorials/1940-isp-exclusive-fc-bayern-analysis.html

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Neither.

The player who you'd choose in your line-up above everyone else. No sane coach would choose anyone but Ali Karimi if they were given a pool of Iranian players from the beginning of time till today.

Karimi had the highest probability of changing the outcome of the game independent of everyone else's performance. Players like that are rare.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Karimi had the highest probability of changing the outcome of the game independent of everyone else's performance. Players like that are rare.
you are describing his state from WC 2002 Qualification campaign through end of WC 2006 campaign.

I would not rate him as our best player in WC 2006. would you?

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
Karimi was by FAR our most gifted player ever. Nobody in Iranian football has ever been as respected/feared than Karimi at his top, not even Daie. He was technically superior to 99% of his team mates in Europe, but the fact that he chose to be playing in a league where technical abilities were far less important than tactical abilities, did not help his cause. He should have played in Italy, Portugal or Spain. Take Karimi at his top and replace him with Shojaei in Osasuna and I bet teams like Barca and Real wouldn't be hesitating to sign him. Now all that is of course nothing but speculation, but nobody can deny the immense talent of Karimi and the fact that he was the best technically gifted player to ever come out of Iran.