Analogy: Have Hope

Bong

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
The fact that Daei will be missing the next game should give us much hope. The fresh legs of Borhani or Khatibi or Shojai may make a significant difference. Having been shut out of the team for so long, they will be exploding with enthusiasm. Hopefully Karimi and Zandi shall be fit as well.

Anyway, remember the Czech, Germany, Italy, and Russia "group of death" in Euro 96? The Czechs lost 3-1 in their opening game to Germany and came back to not only beat Italy in their second game, but to advance to the semi-finals of the competition. The Czechs were literaly in a similar position we are today. In the end, the draw between Germany and Italy saved the Czechs. It is not too outragous to think the Mexico will tie Portugal.

kaka

Bench Warmer
Sep 28, 2005
Australia
the fact that we had to wait to screw us over until we kick out daei just gets me more angry. in a way, i want to see daei play, cos this just makes it much more ridiculous

Jun 20, 2005
Sweden
I have also thought of a 3-0 victory in the next game. I'm thinking about the loss to Iraq in a openning game in AC 1996 However, Iran reminded me at the same time of Scotland in 1978 (losing its game to Peru with 3-1 in the openings, tieing with Iran and then winnig over Holland and depart from the games). We need all six points, although four or two points from the remaining games seem more realistic. It's no idea of hoping for a honest game between MEX-POR if Iran does not take all three points from next game.

It's a genuine iranian style to open poor a tournament and then take off. Now we have nothing to loose and POR are not that strong in their defence.

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
Czech got even to the final then, actually..
but anyway, we only have a chance if we remember that ATTACK is our best DEFENCE. What more proof do we need of that, than the first and second half comparison yesterday?

eissan

Football Fan
Dec 9, 2005
iran can suprise and will do so still! if karimi and kia play with the team and not just by themself like they did with mexico then you will see iran drop kick portugal in the nuts! :D

Jun 20, 2005
Sweden
I think the single most important factor that sinked TM was that they get tired after the way they played in the first half, specially when allt the team helped in the defence. In the second half they thought that the game was over and they believed that the 1-1 result would sustain.

Now in Portugal game they should not repeat that mistake and exhauste (actually burn out) themselve as they did yesterday. Now, Iran has the advantage of having very promising fresh players on the bench ready to jump in and create havoc inte the porto defence.

Iran has to focus on capitalizing their chances. Yesterday we had a lot of players wasting our chances by a lot of pointless shooting on the mexican goal.

nakhl

Bench Warmer
Feb 1, 2005
Bong said:
The fact that Daei will be missing the next game should give us much hope...

i read somewhere that branko was about to pull out daei and bring in borhani and khatibi when mirza/rezai did the mistake that led to the second goal. a very unfortunate event but we need to get over it and look beyond.

WE CAN DEFINITELY BEAT PORTUGAL.

We failed to beat Ireland (2002) and Mexico (2006) but i have a feeling our luck will open for Portugal game. this is our best chance in 8 years to get where we deserve.

damon735

Football Fan
Mar 19, 2006
Come on guys! All the Iranian fans... let's be hopeful of a great match against Portugal:

- Daei is out. I am (was) kinda a Daei fan. But wait! I wished he was much wiser to retire years ago, or at least right after he beat everybody's record of goal-scoring. Now, he is just ruining all the good name and memory the world, and more importantly Iran could have had of him. So, now, he is gonna sit out for the Portugal match, and let's take it as a shock (of those types you get from changing a coach; stupid, but working) in a positive way. In this case, changing the team's captain is not that stupid, just working. Let's hope. We were much better of an attacking team against Japan and Qatar without Daei.
Hopefully Hashemian will be more fit in 5 days we have before the game. And Borhani is just full of energy and motive, as we saw him against Croatia.

- Zandi will be back. He will be a great help. He is not a super-star for us, obviously, but young yet experienced. With him playing at home, we'll have more power in the midfield.

- Navidkia is back too. Probably we won't see him starting on Saturday, but we will have some more good midfielder on the bench if we need them. Let's hope he is fit too.

- Teymourian is our new knight. Just like Zandi, he won't be a star, but was very promising against Mexico. He doesn't much of international experience but showed a lot of energy and courage so far. Go Ando!

- Mahdavikia was ok. We hadn't seen him play for TM for a long time. Personaly, I didn't expect this much from him. Now we can hope for a better fit Mahdavikia as well. With a Mehdi, like we had before, we can do much in the right wing.

- Nekounam was better than our friendly matches. He would be even better against Portugal.

- Karimi is Karimi. We sometimes (or always) expect him to be a real wizard. he simply is not a wizard; he's a great player, but with human limits, guys. He was not as good as before, but still was somehow impressive. He will be much better on Saturday for sure. He is Karimi; it says it all. All he needs is morale.

- Madanchi, Shojaei, Kazemeian, Khatibi all are motives. Our younger/newer talents are just hungry for a chance to prove their abilities --and well, catch European eyes!

- Mirzapour, Rezaei, and other defense line guys now need us supporters to back them not demoralize them. Ok, their mistakes did cost us a game, but now that game is over and we will have two other important games. We need them strong more than before. Be realistic, forget idealism for a minute; Mirzapour is our best goalkeeper we can use in the net at the moment. We should have done many thing before entering the games regarding our defense and goalkeeping positions, but put yourself in any coach's shoes; can you trust a goalie with 1 international cap to protect you against a team like Portugal? What now we got is a Mirzapour guy, whoever he is, as our most capped, experienced goalkeeper. Now we must make him as best as he can be. This best can keep our net closed against Portugal.

- We are Iran! We come back and fight, and make any unbelievable, well, believable. We did it before, so we can do it again. Apparently, we our last result, the Portugese will underestimate us (good for us), and our players would hate that (bad for Portugal). They'll fight to prove everybody what they realy are.

Let's keep our fingers crossed. We have a chance.
Go IRAN! :yohoo: :Iran1:

May 29, 2006
kaka said:
the fact that we had to wait to screw us over until we kick out daei just gets me more angry. in a way, i want to see daei play, cos this just makes it much more ridiculous
Ya man me too :dance3:. I want to see Karimi slapping him or spitting on him :D

May 13, 2005
man you guys make it so difficult. IF WE BEAT PORTUGAL, WE WILL ADVANCE.
BOOK IT. NO MATTER HOW THE OUTCOME OF MEXICO PORTUGAL OR MEXICO ANGOLA.

BELIEVEEEEEEE IN TEAM MELLI. IRAN IS CLUTCH. REMEMBER 1997? REMEMBER SEPTEMBER 2004 AGAINST JORDAN? REMEMBER AGAINST QATAR? IRANNNNNNNNNNNNN SHIREHHH, IRAN WILL PREVAIL.

DEFEAT IS NOT IN OUR BLOOD. A WOUNDED LION ALWAYS GETS UP STRONGER AND BETTER THEN EVER.

Apr 19, 2005
austria
tears in my eyes:iluvtm::iagree::gun::music::music::music::cool:

guys, everybody one more time TM needs our support!!!! and allways keep karimi's picture having a hard time with ronaldo in mind^^