And We Have the Nerve To talk About Americans and Geography!!!!!!!!!!!

sirabi

News Team
Sep 19, 2005
I don't know if this has been posted before but if not, I only have one word: KHEJALAT. For all our Persian Persian 2,500 years we can't even spot Iran on the map. People are looking at something about Kuroshe kabir but don't even know where their country is. I know these things are edited but people should realize not only Americans are like this, the whole world is like this. I am just wondering what these people would have said if they were asked about our neighboring countries. They probably wouldn't even know their names.

http://www.iranian.com/main/singlepage/2007/wheres-iran

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Sirabi jAn,
Thank you for posting the video, tragic video I'm sorry to say. What a shame!!!
I personally think some of the infamous american ignorance has found its way to creep into the blood stream of these so called Iranians. How could you forget/miss such a beautiful "Cat" on the Atlas?
If I was the Reporter (who couldn't pin point the Vietnam on the map himself...LOL) I would show these Iranians the map of USA and ask them if they could figure out where California is. I bet you no one would miss it.
May be that is why Iranians inside Iran (the Real Iranians BTW) collectively dismiss any thing related to majority of Iranians in diaspora. I feel sad and ashamed at the same time.

pansari

Bench Warmer
May 24, 2006
Every culture has its idiots !

But for us who scream Iran this Iran that, its even more embarrassing !

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
LOL. As sad as this is you gotta appreciate the comical value of:

"hamin doro bar",
"are you sure it's on here?"
"sefida aubeh?!"

And the fact that this is during an Iranian Cultural festival! I hope these are not the ex-pats the Bush administration is consulting on choosing its Iran policies. Although that would explain why they keep hitting the neighbours! ;)

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
"in sefidhaa aabeh" :)

It's sad to see young Iranians born and raised in US cannot find Iran on the map. It is unexcuesable when older people cannot find it.

I heard it from my late father that Reza Shah asked a soldier what Iran map looks like. The soldier said a cat. Reza Shah said "nah ahmagh. shekl-e shireh".

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Sirabi jAn,
Thank you for posting the video, tragic video I'm sorry to say. What a shame!!!
I personally think some of the infamous american ignorance has found its way to creep into the blood stream of these so called Iranians. How could you forget/miss such a beautiful "Cat" on the Atlas?
If I was the Reporter (who couldn't pin point the Vietnam on the map himself...LOL) I would show these Iranians the map of USA and ask them if they could figure out where California is. I bet you no one would miss it.
May be that is why Iranians inside Iran (the Real Iranians BTW) collectively dismiss any thing related to majority of Iranians in diaspora. I feel sad and ashamed at the same time.
I disagree. I bet most of those people couldn't find Cal on a US map either. Maybe if the states were different colors.

PJ

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
I don't know why you guys are so worked up about this video. Geography is not a subject that everyone is good at. We make fun of Americans for not knowing where Iran is, and we make fun of these people in the video. But if you go inside Iran and walk on the street and ask ordinary people where Iran is on the world map like that I guarantee you half the people won't know it.
In Geography books in Iran usually they have the cat-like map of Iran depicted. So, everyone is used to that. There maybe one or two world maps in Geography books that we studied that shows the world without country borders. A lot of students don't get a good grade in Geography in school.
I think this is pretty normal for ordinary population to not know these things anywhere in the world.
Just my two cents.

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005
"in sefidhaa aabeh" :)

It's sad to see young Iranians born and raised in US cannot find Iran on the map. It is unexcuesable when older people cannot find it.

I heard it from my late father that Reza Shah asked a soldier what Iran map looks like. The soldier said a cat. Reza Shah said "nah ahmagh. shekl-e shireh".
LOL

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
I disagree. I bet most of those people couldn't find Cal on a US map either. Maybe if the states were different colors.
LOOOOOOOOL Z.A jAn,
Your assumption is not far fetched my Friend. I bet you if you could show them picture of a big mound of metal junk and ask them if they could locate the "Manghal" with amazingly positive and promising result. For kabaab I mean.

eshghi

News Team
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, CA
While I agree that many such videos made about Americans are designed to embarrass Americans, I think many Americans themselves would agree that their knowledge of the world is very limited. Iranians born or mostly raised in America -the ones mostly depicted in this video- are not immune either. I don't have to go too far to see this. My own son, for all practical purposes, is American, and I see this lack of interest and indifference in him too.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Every culture has its idiots !

But for us who scream Iran this Iran that, its even more embarrassing !
Pansari jAn,
There is a great sadness embedded in what we are seeing from Iranians in diaspora.
You see! through out the history we had some powerful and ruthless adversaries who invaded Iran and they were all against what ever meant Iranian or related, they tried their best to eradicate them to the level of oblivion.
At the other hand Iranians who were committed to preserve our vibrant Culture, History, Literature, Poetry, Language and Way of Life didn't see any other choice rather than transferring all aforementioned qualities from generation to generation and we see the result today.
My question is " What do these Iranians have to teach to their children"?

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Thanks for sharing Ali jan. very sad and shameful video indeed.

Exactly and I dont blame ppl in iran either. when Iranians in California(which btw call themselves pure Iranian btw) cant identify their own coutry and all they know about being Iranian is "Iranian concert" or "Iranian satt tv", ofcourse they cant be considered part of ppl of Iran!

Faran

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2007
USA
I can't view the video from where I am but since when are the type of people I suspect are in that video Iranian? Just because there genetics are Iranian?

They live in America and their culture is this weird American culture that exists for Persians there, why are they Iranian?

Not that Iranians don't also have their fair share of ignorant folk.

But really only in America is geography not considered a serious pursuit. In America the study of Geography is laughed upon after the fourth grade whereas in England, for example, it is a highly respected university course.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
yeah, these are Iranian in South Cali, bunch of mongols.
But I have fun with them sometimes because I just can clown them all day everyday:--biggrin
also with due all respect to them.

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
these guys are from S.California, they usually care more about getting a beamer and plastic surgery than anything else. Ask people inside of Iran, i bet 99% of people will get it. I liked that guy who said "shookhi mikoni?"

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
While I agree that many such videos made about Americans are designed to embarrass Americans, I think many Americans themselves would agree that their knowledge of the world is very limited. Iranians born or mostly raised in America -the ones mostly depicted in this video- are not immune either. I don't have to go too far to see this. My own son, for all practical purposes, is American, and I see this lack of interest and indifference in him too.
But most of those people weren't raised here & speak English with an accent.