Anti-Hejab demonstration

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
In case you have been ignorant enough not to have realised this as of yet, it is also worth mentioning that the 'movement' itself is made up of the people showing their dismay at the violations of their fundamental human rights.
OK, assume that I have been ignorant enough not to have realized this as of yet, please answer my previous question. Now that we're speaking of unalienable rights, would you also advise the movement to organize and embrace a gay rights demonstration at this point in time? Their rights are violated on a daily basis, so that would be the only right thing to do. Do you think that would be a wise and prudent course of action for the movement?

Bong

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Dear khodam,

As I am not a women myself, I have been careful not to say that Iranian women should protest the veil requirement. If you carefully review all that I have said, you will find that I only critcised those who have put forward the view that women should refrain from such protest. I adamently do support those women who do choose to protest any and all violations of their rights and dignity.

I did not vilify you or any other person. I merely criticised based on reason. You seem equally capable and willing to apply criticism to my statements, therefore I do not understand the substance of your complaint about the propriety of my criticism.

Unlike yourself, I do not hold out myself to be expert about the 'main concern' of the 'serious women rights activist inside Iran', however, I do believe I have a reasonable understanding of what issues pertain to fundamental human rights and I am reasonably acquainted with international jurisprudence on such matters. As long as women in Iran are peacefully demonstrating for their fundamental rights, they have my full and undivided support.

Last edited:

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Dear Bong,

My criticism is to the repeated disappointment you express about my (and others') concerns. Your posts give the impression that we do not value women rights and belittle discrimination they suffer. I assure you that is not the case. I think all of us very well understand the validity of the point you're making. It is very difficult to argue with the principle you're basing your argument on. Our argument, however, is one of prudence and strategy. Our disagreement does not mean that I don't want women "at the forefront of the protest movement", nor should it make you "regret ... that ... amongst even the progressive crowd, there is still the need for this debate". You shouldn't count it as "ignorance" either if our conclusion ends up being different than yours -- that's the nature of independent minds.

Bong

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
OK, assume that I have been ignorant enough not to have realized this as of yet, please answer my previous question. Now that we're speaking of unalienable rights, would you also advise the movement to organize and embrace a gay rights demonstration at this point in time? Their rights are violated on a daily basis, so that would be the only right thing to do. Do you think that would be a wise and prudent course of action for the movement?
I think you are even more ignorant about what I have actually stated and the views I hold. I do not 'advice' the movement on anything. As I elaborated above, I do not propose what issues or matters women or men should protest. I have merely contended with those who have found fault with peaceful protests in favour of fundamental human rights.

When refering to gay rights, what do you specifically mean? Are you asking me for instance whether a gay or lesbian has a fundamental human right not to be executed by hanging or stoning for his or her sexuality? I would answer this question in the affirmative. As regards the question of gay marriage for instance, there is less international consensus, however, the most recent and persuasive jurisprudence on the issue would seem to indicate that the question is covered by human rights law.

Last edited:

Bong

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Dear Bong,

My criticism is to the repeated disappointment you express about my (and others') concerns. Your posts give the impression that we do not value women rights and belittle discrimination they suffer. I assure you that is not the case. I think all of us very well understand the validity of the point you're making. It is very difficult to argue with the principle you're basing your argument on. Our argument, however, is one of prudence and strategy. Our disagreement does not mean that I don't want women "at the forefront of the protest movement", nor should it make you "regret ... that ... amongst even the progressive crowd, there is still the need for this debate". You shouldn't count it as "ignorance" either if our conclusion ends up being different than yours -- that's the nature of independent minds.
Dear Khodam,

I do not dispute your good faith, but I do in fact reject the purported 'strategy' which selectively ignores issues of fundamental human rights. I have expressed my views on why I do not support such a 'strategy' and why it is in fact not a clever strategy. In my reasoning I have also reflected on some of the history of political stuggle in Iran.

For the avoidance of doubt, please note that I did not use the word 'ignorance' loosely to dismiss the arguments of other members, but rather applied the term very specifically in relation to established facts.

ghilich

Bench Warmer
Oct 12, 2004
usa
While I completely support our sheerzans (with capital SHEER) RIGHT to not wear Hejab, this is not the time to provoke EVERY single Mazhabi person (man OR woman) in IRAN with a Hejab demonstration. The reason is this:

The regime is ALREADY offbalance and DESPERATE and on the DEFENSIVE. They are looking for an excuse, ANY excuse to turn the ALL their viciousness towards the demonstrators and for a way to make this repression seem like the WILL OF THE FAITHFUL people. Having a Hejabless demonstration will give them the PERFECT excuse they have been waiting for to unleash their violence and killing in a massive way against the demonstrators. The resistance has the UPPER hand ALREADY, WHY jeopardize that with such a RECKLESS move at this point? In chess when you are winning, you don't change strategy, you instead follow the one that put you in the lead. This is a chess match of the HIGHEST stakes, and there is no NEED for an amateur move at this time.

There MAY come a time, when such a move might be a calculated massive risk worth taking, but that time has not come yet. Things are going well strategically for the resistance movement AS IT IS.

feyenoord

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2005

This is related to the discussion...Ezatollah Sahabi says it best. http://www.mellimazhabi.org/news/012010news/0201sehabi.htm

نامه به هموطنان خارج از کشور

عزت***الله سحابی
خواهران و برادرانم تقاضای بنده را بپذیرید و بر احساسات، روحیات و دغدغه***های فردی***تان، به خاطر خدا و مردم، غلبه کرده و آنها را به نفع یک حرکت منطقی و تدریجی کنترل کنید. به خصوص جوانان عزیز میهنم، با همه حقی که در عصبانی و احساساتی شدن در زیر فشارها و سرکوب***ها و دروغ***ها و تهمت***ها دارند، به خاطر نسل خودشان و آینده مردم و مملکت***شان باید برخوردهای ولو واکنشی و احساسات پاک***شان را کنترل کنند و درس***های تاریخ پرفراز و نشیب و مملو از درد و رنج و هزینه***های بسیار ایران عزیز را آویزه گوش***شان نمایند و الا صداقت و شجاعت ستودنی و قابل احترام***شان برای دستیابی به آزادی و عدالت کافی نیست.

به نام خدا
تجربه***های تاریخی***مان را فراموش نکنیم
خدمت همه هموطنانم در خارج از کشور سلام و عرض ارادت و برای همه آرزوی سلامت و موفقیت روزافزون دارم. ای کاش شرایطی فراهم بود که شما سرمایه***های ملی کشور همه توان، انرژی و سرمایه مادی و معنوی***تان را *********برای همین مرز و بوم و مردم رنج******کشیده***اش صرف می***کردید. اما همین که بسیاری***تان علیرغم مهاجرت در سال***های دور یا نزدیک، هم چنان درد وطن و مردم دارید و سرنوشت و حوادث ایران را دنبال می***کنید باعث خوشحالی و تقدیر است. آنچه برادر پیرتان را وادار به نوشتن این سطور می***کند شرایط خاصی است که در آن به سر می***بریم و به علت تحت فشار بودن و آزاد نبودن رسانه***های داخلی، شما هموطنان خارج از کشور، هر یک کم و بیش، نقش مهمی در اطلاع***رسانی و احیانا طرح و بازگویی تحلیل***هایتان از طریق رسانه***های خارجی دارید.
در همین رابطه، بی***هیچ مقدمه***ای ذکر دو نکته را ضروری می***دانم. از بنده هم بپذیرید که اگر حرفی می***زنم، همان طور که به آقای خاتمی نیز عرض کرده***ام اولویت اولم «ایران» است نه مسئله نظام و حاکمیت غالب. بنده هم سال***ها و شاید ماه***های آخر عمرم را طی می***کنم و دیگر شائبه رد یا حفظ قدرت بنا به مصلحت***های فردی و احیانا قدرت***طلبانه برایم منتفی است. اما آن دو نکته:
الف – با توجه به وضعیت خاصی که کشور ما در آن به سر می***برد و پس از انتخابات پرمسئله آن یک جنبش اعتراضی از مردم و نخبگان ناراضی و معترض بر نتایج انتخابات (و هم چنین اوضاع مملکت و رفتارها و سیاست***های حاکمیت، به ویژه در چند ساله اخیر)، شکل گرفته است؛ اینک بیم و امیدهایی بر سر راه این حرکت قرار دارد. یکی از آنها سوق یافتن این حرکت مدنی و مسالمت***آمیز به سمت تندی و خشونت است. در این مورد کلیه افراد باتجربه و علاقه***مندان به مردم و وطن ابراز هشدار و نگرانی کرده***اند. از شماها نیز همین توقع می***رود. بنده بارها گفته***ام که در این مسئله حاکمیت و جناح غالب متجاوز اصلی است و در طول تاریخ هم همیشه این حاکمیت***های استبدادی هستند که مردم و جنبش***های مردمی را به صورت واکنشی به سمت تند و رادیکالیزه شدن پیش می***رانند. این مسئله در همه جای دنیا مصداق دارد. الان هم متأسفانه آقایان سخت ایستاده***اند و حاضر نیستند این جنبش خودجوش مردمی را به رسمیت بشناسند و یا در برابر آن مصلحت***اندیشی کنند و اگر دل***شان به حال ایران نمی***سوزد لااقل به حال بقای حاکمیت*** خود بسوزد. بنابراین فعلا از این که آن جناح به حرف***های معقول و مشفقانه گوش دهد، مأیوسیم. اما از این طرف انتظار می***رود که به نصایح و هشدارها توجه کنند. هر گونه حرکت جنبش فعلی، به سمت خشونت به ضرر ایران، مردمان آن و خود جنبش سبز است. چرا که وقتی حرکت خشونت***آمیز شود، جناح غالب و قاهر دست بالا را خواهد داشت و آنها برنده بازی خشونت خواهند بود. به علاوه آنکه آنها بهانه***ها و دستاویزهایی دست***شان می***افتد تا بتوانند علیه جنبش مردم سمپاشی کنند و صف در هم ریخته خود را (چه در بین روحانیون و مراجع و چه در بین اصول***گرایان منتقد و ناراضی و چه برخی مردم سنتی مذهبی) متحد و منسجم سازند. این امر باعث انسجام طرف مقابل و برعکس ایجاد تشتت و اختلاف در صف جنبش که بخش اعظمی از آن مخالف تندروی هستند خواهد شد. اما بالاتر از آن، بر فرض خشونت به پیروزی هم منجر شود، تجربه تاریخ جهان و خود ایران نشان داده است که خشونت عواقب مثبتی ندارد و آنها که با خشونت پیروز می***شوند خود وقتی حاکم می***شوند دست به سرکوب و خشونت و حذف مخالفان و منتقدان می***زنند و این دور باطل هم***چنان ادامه پیدا می***کند.
این نکته را هم بیفزایم که افراد و جناح***های تندرو در حاکمیت اکنون خود طالب خشونت***آمیز شدن اعتراضات هستند تا راحت***تر بتوانند آن را سرکوب کنند. آنها با تحلیل***های ساده***انگارانه***ای فکر می***کنند اکثر مردم بینابینی و بی***طرف***اند و یک اقلیت طرفدار حکومت و یک اقلیت کوچک***تر معارض و مبارز با آن***اند. و آنها باید با اعمال خشونت نگذارند آن اکثریت وسیع بینابینی به این***ها بپیوندند. دوستان عزیز پا در تله خشونت افراطیون سرکوب***گر نگذارید. عده***ای از نظامی***ها، مثل پزشکان جراحی***اند که عادت کرده***اند که برای هر بیماری راه حل جراحی دهند. آنها الان دارند همین نسخه را برای برخورد با مردم معترض می***پیچند.
ب – نکته دوم هم این است که اینک نباید به هیچ وجه به شبیه***سازی حوادث کنونی ایران با دوران انقلاب پرداخت. افراد آگاه و ناظران باتجربه و عمق***نگر به خوبی می***دانند که الان نه سال 42 است که حاکمیت بتواند جنبش اعتراض مسالمت***آمیز مردم را سرکوب و نابود کند و نه سال 56 است که مردم و جامعه از یک سو و دولت و حاکمیت از سوی دیگر در شرایط یک انقلاب قرار داشته باشند. بنابراین دوستان عزیز نصیحت و انذار و هشدار این برادر پیرتان را بپذیرید و در آن تأمل کنید که نباید با دادن تحلیل***های تند و اغراق***آمیز و احساسی بر تنور احساسات آتش بریزید و حرف***ها و کارهای بی***پشتوانه را تشویق کنید. تند کردن خواسته***ها و شعارها با شبیه***سازی***های نادرست با دوران انقلاب دومین نگرانی بنده است. عزیزان من انقلاب در ایران فعلی، نه شدنی است و نه درست. تجربه حرکت و مواضع قانونی و مسالمت***جوی دکتر مصدق در دوران نهضت ملی و حتی در بیدادگاهی که او را محاکمه می***کرد و نظرات و تجربه مهندس بازرگان در دوران انقلاب و تجربه همگی ما در سی ساله اخیر نشان داده است که حرکت مطالبه***محور و تدریجی و رفتارها و خواسته***های معقول و معتدل نتایج بهتر و ماندگارتری باقی می***گذارد. اما در دوره دکتر مصدق، عده***ای با تندروی و طرح شعار جمهوریت و یا پایین کشیدن مجسمه***های شاه در برخی میادین و نظایر آن، جناح مقابل را متحد و عصبانی و مصمم کردند و یا نصایح بازرگان کمتر به گوش فعالان سیاسی آن روز نشست و در هر دو مورد نیز ما بهای سنگینی برای بی***توجهی به تجارب معقول و منطقی و تسلیم احساس شدن خود پرداخته***ایم.
از طرف دیگر هر انقلاب فرضی مستلزم دو قطبی کردن جامعه است. دوستان عزیز همه قبول داریم که جامعه ایران جامعه متکثری است، از مذهبی شدیدا سنتی تا بی***مذهب. از راست و محافظه***کار تا چپ و معترض. عزیزان دقت داشته باشید همین دولتی که با وضع آن چنانی مجددا به کرسی نشست به هر حال در ایران صاحب چند میلیون رأی است. تشدید حرکات و مطالبات عمل نادرستی است که جامعه ایران و نیروهای مختلف ذی***نفوذ و مرجع را در آن دچار تعارض دوقطبی می***کند. امروزه نباید با رادیکالیزه کردن شعارها، برخی از روحانیون و مراجع مذهبی و نیز اصول***گراهای منتقد و نیز برخی از بخش***های جامعه سنتی را به سمت جناح غالب راند. از سویی همه می***دانیم که جنبش سبز، جنبش متکثری است که تند کردن شعارها و خواسته***ها عملا باعث انسجام جناح مقابل و برعکس ایجاد تردید و تشتت در درون این جنبش خواهد شد.
هموطنانی که در خارج از کشور به سر می برند از این نظر در معرض آسیب بیشتری قرار دارند. چون طبع زندگی در خارج، کم و بیش، «ذهنی» شدن تدریجی روی شرایط داخلی کشور است. هم چنین به لحاظ روانی بسیاری از ایرانیان وطن***دوست و ملی که درد ایران و زاد و بوم***شان را دارند، معمولا دلشان برای بازگشت به کشور بیشتر می***تپد و همین امر آنها را عجول و «شتاب***زده» می***کند. هم چنین متأسفانه برخی افراد نیز به لحاظ شخصی و شخصیتی دنبال «موقعیت***طلبی»***ها و جایگاه***طلبی***های فردی***شان هستند و همین امر خصیصه شتابناکی آنها را بیشتر تشدید می***کند. عده***ای نیز هستند که به علت سوابق سلطنت***طلبی و یا دیگر سوابق، عصبانیت و نفرت شدیدی از اصل انقلاب و یا از جمهوری اسلامی دارند. مجموعه این عوامل (ذهنی شدن، عجله، جایگاه***طلبی، نفرت و عصبانیت و...)، خود محرک***هایی می***شود برای تند کردن دور حوادث و برخورد احساسی و غیرمنطقی با آن و هر دم بالا بردن سطح مطالبات و شعارها، بویژه با شبیه***سازی دوران کنونی با مقطع انقلاب سال 57.
من به ویژه باید برای هموطنان ایران و مردم دوست***مان در خارج از کشور که نگاه و درد ملی دارند، و بنا به تجربه تاریخی به سیاست***ها و عوامل و مقاصد و رفتارهای بیگانگان همواره با تردید و شک می***نگرند، و خود آرزوی سربلندی و استقلال و آزادی و رفاه و توسعه و عدالت برای ایران و ایرانیان را دارند؛ تأکید کنم که دوستان عزیز مسائل عملی سیاسی را نه صرفا بر مبنای «حقیقت» بلکه بر مبنای «موفقیت» باید سنجید. «حقیقت» شاخص عرصه اندیشه و عقل نظری است و عمل «موفقیت***آمیز» شاخص سنجش عرصه عمل و استراتژی. مردم معترض و بویژه جوانان ایران «حق» دارند که از سرسختی، سرکوب و توهین و تحقیر مقامات و رسانه***های دولتی در رابطه با خواسته***ها و حرکت مدنی و مسالمت***آمیزشان ناراضی و عصبانی باشند و در ذهن حقیقت***جوی خود بر راه حل***های رفع مشکل و موانع پیش رو بیندیشند. اما خیلی حرف***ها ممکن است حق و «حقیقت» باشد، اما عمل سیاسی و استراتژیک نه صرفا بر اساس حقیقت بلکه بر اساس قدرت، مصلحت و تناسب قوای اجتماعی صورت می***گیرد. بنابراین در این رابطه از بنده بپذیرید که حتی اگر انقلاب به نفع ایران و مردمانش باشد (که در آن بسیار تردید وجود دارد)، اینک در ایران، اگر ما با آن به صورت احساسی و اغراق***آمیز برخورد نکنیم، شرایط انقلاب نیست. مهم***تر از همه این که سعادت ملت ایران اقتضاء می***کند روش***ها و مطالبات جنبش سبز به گونه***ای باشد که در افق پیش روی آن جا برای همه ایرانیان، بدون هر گونه حرکت تقابلی و تعارضی و قطبی، باز باشد. هر حرکت و مطالبه و شعار ما باید بر همبستگی ملی و نیز بر انسجام جبهه سبز بیفزاید و از تشدید قدرت و انسجام جناح معارض با خواسته***های به حق*** جنبش (و رفتارهای جناح مقابل که منافع ملی و موجودیت سیاسی و فرهنگی و اقتصادی ما را روز به روز تخریب می***کند) بکاهد و در کل در حد توان و تحمل افراد و نیروهای حامل و موثر و دخیل در جنبش باشد. دوستان گرامی هرگونه برخورد «تندش کن، لنگش کن»، بویژه از راه دور، ما را به سمتی می***برد که دودش به چشم همه خواهد رفت. من ضمن اذعان و تأکید مجدد بر اینکه سیاست***های حاکمیت باعث تشدید شعارها و خواسته***ها می***شود اما باید همان گونه که اخیرا در مصاحبه***ای اشاره کردم به همه دوستان و بویژه جوانان عزیز بگویم که همیشه ایثار و فداکاری این نیست که انسان آماده چوب خوردن و حتی گلوله خوردن در راه آزادی و استقلال و... باشد، اینها هم گاه لازم است، اما همه عزیزان باید بدانند که گاه تحمل حرکت تدریجی از گلوله خوردن هم سخت***تر است. گاه انسان در یک لحظه گلوله می***خورد و از این اوضاع راحت می***شود. اما اگر بخواهد چند سال تحمل ناملایمات را بکند تا در مبارزه سیاسی***اش منطقی و آرام باشد و در برابر تهمت***ها و افتراها و سرکوب***ها و حبس***ها خویشتن داری نماید، این هم خود یک نوع فداکاری و ایثار است. شاید هم سخت***تر باشد. دوستان عزیز، پس از سهم عمده و اصلی جناح غالب و تندرو حاکمیت در برخورد با اصلاحات (و اینک جنبش سبز) و ناکار کردن آن، در این سوی صف نیز اگر بسیاری از شما به نقد بزرگان اصلاحات به خاطر فرصت***سوزی و کوتاه آمدن و یا به اصطلاح راست***روی در «حرکت از بالا»ی اصلاحات می***پردازید، در «حرکت از پایین» نیز هرگونه چپ***روی می***تواند آثار مشابهی در ناتمام و ناکام گذاشتن حرکات و مبارزات داشته باشد. خطاهای سیاسی، محاسباتی و استراتژیک، چه فردی و چه جمعی، چه در بالا و چه در پایین، چه راست***روی و چه چپ***روی؛ روزی در محکمه وجدان خود افراد، حافظه تاریخی مردم و بالاتر از آن در پیشگاه خداوند قابل نقد و پاسخ***گویی و حسابرسی است.
بنابراین خواهران و برادرانم تقاضای بنده را بپذیرید و بر احساسات، روحیات و دغدغه***های فردی***تان، به خاطر خدا و مردم، غلبه کرده و آنها را به نفع یک حرکت منطقی و تدریجی کنترل کنید. به خصوص جوانان عزیز میهنم، با همه حقی که در عصبانی و احساساتی شدن در زیر فشارها و سرکوب***ها و دروغ***ها و تهمت***ها دارند، به خاطر نسل خودشان و آینده مردم و مملکت***شان باید برخوردهای ولو واکنشی و احساسات پاک***شان را کنترل کنند و درس***های تاریخ پرفراز و نشیب و مملو از درد و رنج و هزینه***های بسیار ایران عزیز را آویزه گوش***شان نمایند و الا صداقت و شجاعت ستودنی و قابل احترام***شان برای دستیابی به آزادی و عدالت کافی نیست.
در پایان به یک نکته نیز اشاره کنم. دوستان عزیز اینک باید از هر نوع دوقطبی***سازی***های افراطی خودداری کرد. یکی از این قطبی***کردن***ها، قطبی کردن مذهبی – غیرمذهبی است. جنبش سبز مانند خود جامعه ایران، پدیده متکثری است و در آن از افراد شدیدا مذهبی تا افراد شدیدا غیرمذهبی حضور دارند. آنها می***توانند در عرصه بحث و نظر، هر یک عقیده خود را داشته باشند، اما در عرصه عمل سیاسی آنها باید موجودیت یکدیگر را به رسمیت بشناسند و به عقاید هم احترام بگذارند. در حاشیه رحلت آیت***الله منتظری و مباحثی که در این رابطه درگرفت، این حالت دو قطبی خود را نشان داد. دوستان عزیز، بزرگی آیت***الله منتظری به «صداقت» و «شهامت» او هم در نظر و هم در عمل*** بود. ایشان یک مرجع تقلید مذهبی است که در سنتی***ترین شهر ایران زندگی می***کرد. آرا و نظرات ایشان را باید در این چارچوب دید. صداقت و شهامت فکری ایشان، حال در هر مرحله از زندگی***شان به گونه***ای که می***اندیشیدند، زبانزد همگان بوده و هست. از تقریظی که در آن شرایط بسته قم بر کتاب شهید جاوید مرحوم صالحی نجف***آبادی نوشت تا آخرین فتاوایشان در باره حق شهروندی بهائیان (که فقه عقیده***محور را به فقه انسان***محور نزدیک کردند)، شهامت و شجاعت نظری***شان را در میان و چارچوب روحانیون حوزوی نشان دادند. ایشان در عرصه عمل نیز همین صداقت و شهامت را داشتند و از «امتحان»های بزرگ «اخلاقی» تاریخی سربلند بیرون آمدند و به خاطر عقاید و ارزش***های اخلاقی***شان، به پست و منزلت و قدرت پشت کردند. ممکن است بساری از روشنفکران و نواندیشان مذهبی و یا دیگر روشنفکران، به لحاظ فکری و ذهنی و زبانی جلوتر از آقای منتظری بیندیشند، اما آنها نه نقشی را که آیت***الله منتظری در میان حوزه***ها، روحانیون، مردم سنتی و نظرگاه***های حقوقی دینی موثر در قدرت و اجرا ایفا می***کنند دارا هستند و نه، بالاتر از آن، بسیاری***شان امتحان تاریخی شخصی و تاریخی اخلاقی آن چنانی که آیت***الله منتظری پس داد، داده***اند. هم اینهاست که به آیت***الله منتظری نقش ویژه***ای در رابطه با دفاع از حقوق بشر در ایران می***دهد.
در انتها از اینکه مصدع اوقات***تان شدم عذر می***خواهم. بنده هم مطلع و هم مطمئنم که اکثر قریب به اتفاق ایرانیان فعال در خارج از کشور نگاه و شخصیت ملی و درد ایران دارند و از مواضع و مواقع مشکوک و ملکوک پرهیز می***کنند و همین طور بنا به آثار و مواضع منتشره بسیاری***شان، خوشحالم که افراد با تجربه، معقول و منطقی و دوراندیش نیز در آنجا هم بسیارند و هم انشاءالله دست بالا را دارند. امید است نصایح این برادر پیر بر برخی مواضع احساسی و غیردوراندیش بعضی دیگر موثر افتد و حداقل آنها را به تأمل وادارد. پیروز و سربلند باشید.
عزت***الله سحابی
11 دی ماه

persian-parsa

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The basic reason for the hesitation evident in all those who are questioning the soundness of such a demonstration at this juncture is that IR elements would take advantage of it. They would do this by painting the green movement as an anti-Islamic one, and this in turn would dissuade many who otherwise support the movement.

I share this concern, but I ultimately think it's misguided. And this is because it's very important to realize that supporting secularism and secular demands is not, in itself, against Islam at all. This is a crucial distinction. It should be the case that the most devout and conservative of Muslims ought to support fundamental rights, regardless of sex, gender, religion, sexuality, and so on.

Khodam brought up a very interesting point: For those of us who support an anti-hejab demonstration, would we also support a gay rights demonstration?

Well, a first reaction is that this is obviously insane given the strong conservative (if not fundamentalist) elements in Iranian culture and society. But if the distinction I talked about above is understood and appreciated, then I think a gay rights demonstration would also be justified. But, still, would it be pragmatically smart? I would say that since a gay rights demonstration is now significantly more dangerous than an anti-hejab one, the balance is tipped in favour of pragmatics rather than principles in this case.

In a word, I want to say three things:

1) support of fundamental freedoms like those of religion, sexuality, and association are in no way oppositional to Islam and should not be construed as such; in other words, there is a crucial distinction between support of fundamental freedoms and opposition to Islam (precisely because support of fundamental freedoms supports the right of individuals to practice Islam)
2) I'm only opposed to a gay rights demonstration because it's probably just too dangerous for the demonstrators, not because it could hurt the green movement
3) given the crucial distinction in point 1), we should not give up or concede attempts to support fundamental freedoms (e.g. through demonstrations) based on the belief that such support is against Islam because such a concession (inadvertently) lends credibility to this mistaken belief.

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
I share this concern, but I ultimately think it's misguided. And this is because it's very important to realize that supporting secularism and secular demands is not, in itself, against Islam at all.
You and I agree on that, but the thugs holding the guns don't. Until we have the kind of numbers and momentum to challenge them head on, we gain nothing by raising issues that will only serve as fodder for their propaganda and force away the more religious elements of the Green movement.

This is a crucial distinction. It should be the case that the most devout and conservative of Muslims ought to support fundamental rights, regardless of sex, gender, religion, sexuality, and so on.
A lot of things 'ought to be', but right now they aren't.

All your points are fine and dandy on paper, but in reality women are being labeled 'enemies of Islam' and getting raped in jail for simply wanting free elections! What do you think will happen to them once they start taking off their hejab?

There are still factions in this movement with traditional religious views and we can't afford to alienate them at this point. Nor can we afford to give the regime the perfect 'evidence' of the movement being anti-Islamic, no matter how flawed that assertion would be.

The only goal at the moment should be for the movement to succeed. Then, we can debate all these issues in an open, democratic atmosphere.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
When refering to gay rights, what do you specifically mean?
Pardon my ignorance but you still haven't answered my question.

It does not matter what I mean by gay rights. Any basic rights that you believe is violated in IRI such as the right to openly exercise one's sexual orientation.

My simple question is whether you would take the same stance on gay rights as you do on women rights. If there were peaceful protests in support of gay rights tomorrow in Tehran, would you still "contend with those who have found fault with peaceful protests in favour of fundamental human rights"?

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
I would say that since a gay rights demonstration is now significantly more dangerous than an anti-hejab one, the balance is tipped in favour of pragmatics rather than principles in this case.
Thank you persian-parsa.

So you're mindful of prudence in your evaluation of the situation. You do a benefit-cost analysis in your mind of pros and cons and come to the conclusion that holding gay rights demonstration is not useful at his point. It doesn't mean that you do not believe in the rights of gays and lesbians.

That is exactly what we do in our evaluation of anti-hejab demonstrations.

Now I agree with you that gay rights issues is far more dangerous and concerns much smaller portion of the society and as such my example is an exaggerated one. But still it requires the same "strategic" thinking. It just happens that our benefit-cost analysis leads to different conclusions which is absolutely fine as those analyses are after all subjective. It does not mean I should be disappointed on how ignorant you are, and how progressive crowds like this forum still fail to see simple facts. Not at all. It just means that you and I assign different weights to different issues.

Bong

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Pardon my ignorance but you still haven't answered my question.

It does not matter what I mean by gay rights. Any basic rights that you believe is violated in IRI such as the right to openly exercise one's sexual orientation.

My simple question is whether you would take the same stance on gay rights as you do on women rights. If there were peaceful protests in support of gay rights tomorrow in Tehran, would you still "contend with those who have found fault with peaceful protests in favour of fundamental human rights"?
I did very expressly answer your question. Please read carefully. If it requires repeating, let me say it again: I will expressly support gays and lesbians who protest the fact that in Iran they are being exectued by stoning and hanging. I would go further and support them in all other areas where their fundamnetal human rights are being violated. I do not ask any individual or group to protest or put their safety at risk, but when they are protesting for their basic human rights, they have my full and undivided support.

Meehandoost

Bench Warmer
Sep 4, 2005
...I do in fact reject the purported 'strategy' which selectively ignores issues of fundamental human rights. I have expressed my views on why I do not support such a 'strategy' and why it is in fact not a clever strategy. In my reasoning I have also reflected on some of the history of political stuggle in Iran...
That is a great point! Ideals such as emancipation of women and equality of sexes are fundamental parts of the movement of Iranian people towards freedom and justice, and therefore can never be sacrificed as "strategy" for a "greater good". They ARE part and parcel of the "greater good". Struggles in recent history are great source of guidance.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
I do in fact reject the purported 'strategy' which selectively ignores issues of fundamental human rights.
I think one ought to refrain from pontificating from one's comfortable armchair on whether or not women should be at the 'forefront' of the protest movement.
Maybe I missed it but it seems those on the streets inside Iran (not from their comfortable armchair) agreed that it was premature and imprudent, or in other words a poor "strategy", to demonstrate against hejab at this time.

Oct 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA USA
Maybe I missed it but it seems those on the streets inside Iran (not from their comfortable armchair) agreed that it was premature and imprudent, or in other words a poor "strategy", to demonstrate against hejab at this time.
No one can tell a woman that she must stop fighting for her basic human rights, not our brave Iranians in the streets, and not even another Iranian woman. We might advise that it is bad timing at the moment, but even that is dicey. It is up to them, and it should be up to them.

I think if they feel the need to do it right now at the detriment to the rest of the movement, it is our fault for allowing their situation to get this dire...

Either way I do not think it does much harm. Iranians want freedom. Even the misogynistic ones ;)