Antivirus program recommendations!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Guys and girls, I need a very good Antivirus program. I've had Norton Antivirus Pro. before but everybody says it's useless??

Some people have told me AVG is very good but I use a "free" edition now so I don't know if I should trust it or not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
A paid version as opposed to a cracked version of NOD32 has worked very well for me. What I like about it is that it's really light, and is not a bloatware like notron or mcafee.

PouyaFatemi

Bench Warmer
Oct 19, 2002
Dallas, Tx
I'm not sure if it's the best "antivirus" tool, but ZoneAlarm is an awesome internet security bundle. It's got everything, from firewall to antivirus to IM protection. And it's also very light compared to MacAfee and Norton.

Oct 1, 2004
Yes Norton is absolute garbage, it slows down your computer and even if you update it, it still won't catch viruses.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Thanks for your replies everyone.
Now I don't know which one to get! :)

Do all of the programs you mentioned have this feature with which it checks everything you do at the same time you do it? Or do you have to scan your hdd everyday to make sure everything is alright?

anoush

Bench Warmer
Aug 14, 2004
I am running norton internet security as i have been for a few years. I would like to switch but don't dare to try uninstall norton again as last time i did this i couldnt install stuff and it kept having remnants in the registry so i gave up and stuck with norton.

apparently trend micro pc-cillin is a very good programme, it is light and has a good reputation , read the reviews on amazon as well.
ALSO PANDA antivirus is good.

ps norton doesnt seem to fail too much for me, online scans normally corroborate with norton results and dont find anything in addition

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
anoush said:
I am running norton internet security as i have been for a few years. I would like to switch but don't dare to try uninstall norton again as last time i did this i couldnt install stuff and it kept having remnants in the registry so i gave up and stuck with norton.
I can't go online on my pc anymore...because of norton and me trying to uninstall it.
unfortunately I had some iranian copy and i can't install it anymore either...so I'm left with no internet on my old pc.
really..marg bar norton!

Oct 1, 2004
westwienmaskulin said:
I can't go online on my pc anymore...because of norton and me trying to uninstall it.
unfortunately I had some iranian copy and i can't install it anymore either...so I'm left with no internet on my old pc.
really..marg bar norton!
Same problem, so I had to get the damn Norton running again, it wouldn't even let me try to run programs without running damn Norton.