Any member has every run a marathon?

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
I did a half marathon about 10 years ago. It was one of the best things I ever did. I was younger then but I still had to prepare which included 1 hour runs from few months prior to the day to get the pace and legs into it.
Whatever you do, make sure you prepare well. It's much harder than you ever imagine. I know the half marathon was, and I can onlly imagine how much worse a full marathon will be.

May 9, 2004
I run about 22 kilometers it was something like Half marayhon
But it was long ago 1985 and 1986 now i dont think i can run 2 kilometers :(
But if you want to try it you have to be so fit and during marathon never increas your speed.
Try to run from begining till the end with same speed.
Eat something like coconut 30 minutes before marathon start

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
My father intented to run a marathon but he "only" ran half-marathon because of a knee-injury.

He is running three-four times a week usually. When he wanted to prepare for Marathon he started to do it five months before the marathon took place. First, you need to run very slowly... but like two-three hours two times a week. Two-three months you just have to run slower than usual. Then you can speed up a bit to your normal range of speed and run like 40-50 kilometers or so a week. You shoudlnt run much in the week before the marathon and at least four days of rest before it.

Amoo

Bench Warmer
Jan 6, 2006
Armani jan
If you are realy serious about it I would recommend "Daniel's Running Formula"This is one of the best books you can find on running. This book explains the fundamentals of training, the "why" behind your workouts. It is also packed with useful tips and tables for finding the right intensity for yourself.

Daniels' Running Formula
by Jack Daniels
http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Runni...0830307-8420046?ie=UTF8&qid=1177050895&sr=1-1

navid007

Bench Warmer
Jul 23, 2005
have never done more then 10 km.
But R-E-S-P-E-C-T to those who has!
baba to me 10km is a marathon it self !! i remember i highschool our sport teacher asked us to run around soccer field 3 times... the max i could do was 2 times and i don't think thats even 2km :D thats why i chose to become a goalkeeper ;)

Abedzaadeh

IPL Player
Jan 23, 2003
I did a half marathon a couple of years ago. If u run regularly it should be ok but I wouldnt recommend a full marathon, Running for 4 hours (on hard ground) is not very good for your knees.

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
LOL @ all of you... I was thinking the same thing. I started to run to get ready for the Marathon i'm running in a few months but then I hurt my foot playing basketball so I can't really run much now. My best friend who works out every day thought it would be a good idea to get me out more so instead of just going to the gym we run a few miles a couple times a day. I hope I can finish :)

Aug 3, 2004
Which one are you planning on running and what are you currently doing to get ready?
My dream is to do as many major city as possible. London, Singapore, NY....
I run three times a week each time for an hour or so. 10 K in 45 minutes which is not good enough. I hope to finish my first marathon within 4 hours. wishful thinkin'..
Thanks all for the feedback (LOL @ some ;))

Meehandoost

Bench Warmer
Sep 4, 2005
Dear Giorgio;

Not that I am an expert, but a Marathon as you know requires great skills, endurance and determination to finish but above all, a good preparation is imperative. For a solid preparation you have to run at least 6 days a week 3-4 months prior to the event. I recommend one day easy 10K, one day hill, one day easy 10K, one day speed training, one day easy 10K and then your long run which should start at 10K and then increased every week to reach at least 75% of your planned run event, followed by a well-deserved day of rest to recuperate of course.

Another good idea might be to join a training camp of like-minded people which will undoubtedly motivate you further. A 45 min 10K is a very respectable time, unless of course you are an elite athlete, and will mean an under 4 hour finish, well under 4 hours in fact. The task is to maintain the same pace throughout the race.

This is a great endeavour and while it is very exciting to progress through the training, you must be cautious to avoid injuries which will dampen your spirits and could cost you the race altogether, but with determination, hard work and solitude of many hours you will feel very proud and accomplished to cross the finish line. It's all about completion and not competition!

Good Luck!

Aug 3, 2004
Dear Giorgio;

Not that I am an expert, but a Marathon as you know requires great skills, endurance and determination to finish but above all, a good preparation is imperative. For a solid preparation you have to run at least 6 days a week 3-4 months prior to the event. I recommend one day easy 10K, one day hill, one day easy 10K, one day speed training, one day easy 10K and then your long run which should start at 10K and then increased every week to reach at least 75% of your planned run event, followed by a well-deserved day of rest to recuperate of course.

Another good idea might be to join a training camp of like-minded people which will undoubtedly motivate you further. A 45 min 10K is a very respectable time, unless of course you are an elite athlete, and will mean an under 4 hour finish, well under 4 hours in fact. The task is to maintain the same pace throughout the race.

This is a great endeavour and while it is very exciting to progress through the training, you must be cautious to avoid injuries which will dampen your spirits and could cost you the race altogether, but with determination, hard work and solitude of many hours you will feel very proud and accomplished to cross the finish line. It's all about completion and not competition!

Good Luck!
Thanks for the info and kind words Meehandoost jan. :)