Arabic newspapers on Iran-Bahrain game

Oct 20, 2002
UAE
I have read some Bharaini and UAE newspapers reporst on the game and their view is kind of surprsing. They mostly praised Iran's performance given it was playing away:

UAE newspaper (Akhbar Al Arab) said that Iran got what it aimed for (which was not to lose in Manaman) and you have to credit the team for. They also said that Bahrain could pay dearly for not being able to win at home.

Al Ittihad of UAE also praised iran's composure and organized play on the field and also said that Iran showed that it is a serious contender for the 1st or 2nd spot in the group.

Al Ayam newspaper of Bahrain mainly critisized the coach Streco and lack of courage by the team to attack more. They said Bahrain was scared to lose and the coach should have used more than one forwards up front to creat more chances.

Babak G

News Team, ISP Managers Team
Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
Our performance was not the best.
But our defensive strategy was very good.In general our defence was very good.

We got a result there which was a decent one.
Look at it that way,and we stopped Bahrain from getting a win as well,so we didnt lose anything,didnt gain anything.

eerooni

Bench Warmer
Nov 9, 2002
Toronto
I think we all fail to realize that TM took 2 points AWAY from Bahrain!!! All we have to do is win in Azadi and that will be the nail in Bahrains coffin!

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
Some way I understand a draw for Iran is agood result. By the way I think things
will develope Bahrain will need to win at Tehran. A tie for Bahrain may not be enough
since Iran can top Barain in points before that game.

soroushk

Bench Warmer
Oct 5, 2004
New York
saeed agha said:
I have read some Bharaini and UAE newspapers reporst on the game and their view is kind of surprsing. They mostly praised Iran's performance given it was playing away:

UAE newspaper (Akhbar Al Arab) said that Iran got what it aimed for (which was not to lose in Manaman) and you have to credit the team for. They also said that Bahrain could pay dearly for not being able to win at home.

Al Ittihad of UAE also praised iran's composure and organized play on the field and also said that Iran showed that it is a serious contender for the 1st or 2nd spot in the group.

Al Ayam newspaper of Bahrain mainly critisized the coach Streco and lack of courage by the team to attack more. They said Bahrain was scared to lose and the coach should have used more than one forwards up front to creat more chances.
These guys obviously know more than most of the critics of our performance. The number one priority was not to fall apart. Job done.

Bauvafa

Bench Warmer
Oct 26, 2004
it amazes me how easily we get influenced by small time "news". who cares what these papers say, now they are setting the standards for us??? are we so blind that we need "these" papers to shed the light on us????

one thing I valued from it all, they are not over-estimating themselves by the result, and staying extremely cautious, whereas some of us think it's an automatic win for us since it's being played in Azadi. If we lose or tie in Azadi against any of the 3 teams, TM is probably gonna look at WC06 thru the TV channels.

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
We could not penterate to Barian's Defense. Can we do it in Tehran?
If we use the same players and the same formation Bahrain will get one or three points in Tehran.

soroushk

Bench Warmer
Oct 5, 2004
New York
homaie said:
We could not penterate to Barian's Defense. Can we do it in Tehran?
If we use the same players and the same formation Bahrain will get one or three points in Tehran.
Absolutely we can. Just watch us do it.

It makes a huge difference playing at home, particularly for us.

Do you remember how we played against Ireland and Australia home and away? In both cases they were comfortably better than us away, but we were better than them at home.

Bong

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Well it reminds me of Man U -vs- Newcastle at St. James' Park in 1996. Man U couldnt get 3 passes stringed together but people thought they played better.

dariush-44

Bench Warmer
Oct 15, 2004
LOL, we Iranians aren't happy with our Team's performance and the Bahrainies aren't happy with their team's performance.

So which team did this game benefit the most ??

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I think you guys are misunderstanding what these articles are saying.
If Japan performed as shitty as Iran played in Baharain and got a point against us, becasue we didn't attack enough to score any goals against a shitty performing team, you can be sure Iranian newspapers would not be praising Branco or TM. The truth of the matter is that we played awful in Bahrain and they shouldn't have let us take two points away from them. Nonetheless, we played awful in Bahrain!

Kian

Ball Boy
Oct 17, 2002
I didn't like the way the game was being played because I am a very big risk taker. Branko is not. it was obvious to me after the first half that this game was going to be a tie. Because the Bahraini's unlike most teams who want to succeed were playing a very defensive formation at home, looking for a counter attack. I understand that because we are the superiour side, however they have a potent offense and had they scored on us first we would've seen a clinic on diving and time wasting and that sort of thing. I think I need to remind you that Bahrain did the same thing the last time we played them in Manama, they scored first and from then on they played mind games. Basically it was about who was going to score first and Branko was afraid it was going to be Bahrain.

The same thing is true about the Bahrainis, if they were to concede a goal, they knew that they would have to open up and with their shaky defence, players like Karimi would have had a field day. I still say I am not satisfied, but Branko got what HE wanted, he wasn't looking for what WE want.