Argentina-Mexico [R]

Intoxicated

Bench Warmer
Dec 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Argentina won on penalty kicks (1:1 , both goals score din ET) 6-5 on penalty shoot out.

Mexico started really well (first 20 min) but argentina took possession as the game progressed. both teams had a player redcarded at the closing stages of the match.

overall, i think south american soccer is getting way ahead of rest of the world.

Bardia

arashinho

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Berkeleyish
i was very impressed with mexico, especially given that almost all players play in their own league. they will be tough in the world cup. argentina was very good. but dirty as usual.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
arashinho said:
i was very impressed with mexico, especially given that almost all players play in their own league. they will be tough in the world cup. argentina was very good. but dirty as usual.
come on man...this was their first red card in 20 games....and it was only because saviola was useless on the field.
otherwise they play pretty fair..

and the mexican league ain't that bad....good money in it...strongest in latin america alongside argentinas.

Messi19

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
As an Argentina fan I have to say Mexico played great. All credit to them, they took Riquelme out of the game. They will be a suprise team in WC. as for the final Its time for Argentina to beat the crap out of the BRA boys one more time!

arashinho

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Berkeleyish
westi, i used to be a huge argentina fan but after the 1990 world cup i realized that i could not a team where dirty play was the norm especially for their defenders. this team i like very much (riquelme, aimar, saviola are great) except you saw the overall dirty play of their defenders again. that colicini was terrible. i know marquez got two yellow but they brought him down in a painful way sevral times. the exception was zanetti who is very classy in my opinion.

the final should be good. i think arg. has a better chance eventhough i root for brazil. roque jr. will be brazil's downfall. and the fact that they haven't figured out how to play kaka, robinho and ronaldinho at the same time.

anoush

Bench Warmer
Aug 14, 2004
arashinho said:
westi, i used to be a huge argentina fan but after the 1990 world cup i realized that i could not a team where dirty play was the norm especially for their defenders. this team i like very much (riquelme, aimar, saviola are great) except you saw the overall dirty play of their defenders again. that colicini was terrible. i know marquez got two yellow but they brought him down in a painful way sevral times. the exception was zanetti who is very classy in my opinion.

the final should be good. i think arg. has a better chance eventhough i root for brazil. roque jr. will be brazil's downfall. and the fact that they haven't figured out how to play kaka, robinho and ronaldinho at the same time.

I agree with the comment about kaka robinho and dinho. I think Kaka and dinho havent been giving all their worth for past games. A) because what's the point it's only mexico greece and japan. B) they have revenge to gain against argentina for denying them to be the 1st to world cup.

I don't think Argentina will be able to handle Brazil by any means - especially if that dumbass roque junior is on the bench LOL

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
arashinho said:

well....Heinze played pretty fair, same as Milito. Coloccini was unfair in the one incident, otherwise he also play ok. I agree on marquez, he was brought down very unfair at times. But Riquelme plays pretty unfair too. the only classy and "agha" players you will find are Zanetti and Aimar..plus Heinze.
But that's nothing I ever cared for.
Marquez was tired in the end...his second foul was a foul a tired player does.

Kaka had way too many games and is too tired...that's the reason behind it IMHO.

Nov 24, 2002
Mexican team deserve credit ! They have one of the best league as the others said in south america , i like their league better than brazilian ones and their compete well in south american club CL ..A good prove is except barcelona defender rafeal marquez , the rest of mexican player are Local player !!!!!!!!!!! But again a good final at least ;)

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
i think both sides played dirty, but it was more tactical than personal...

viva mexico, they played great, aside from the 10-15 minutes after they scored the goal...

they might have just ran out of gas. at least the final will be good

Oct 12, 2004
San Francisco
I just hope Iran does not end up with same group as Mexico. They have improved their game so much in past 4 years. They take all their opponent seriously and play hard each and every game.

Intoxicated

Bench Warmer
Dec 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
i have a feeling that some of you guys are understimating mexico's strength and expected Argentina to dominated this game completely. I mean, prior to confedrations cup, didn't you know how powerfull mexico is ??? just take a look at the stats from Coca Cola or ELO, mexico is ranked 6th !!

Of course argentina would have hell of a time against mexico. I personnally did not expect an easy match for argentina 'cuase i knew Mexico plays similar style of soccer(and we know what happens when 2 teams with similar tactics collide).

so , yeh good job by mexico for giving argentina a hell, but the again it was argentina that had almost twice as the number of shot on goals as mexico had !!

Bardia

Intoxicated

Bench Warmer
Dec 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
R.BAGGIO said:
yeah, well usa is ranked 10th, thats doesnt mean anything, iran is ranked 17th
But the difference is we ALL (or I hope we all knew) knew that Mexico is truly a world class team !

Just take a look at their results from the past 10-15 yrs. Two words would describe it , "consistently well".

Not knowing mexico has a good leauge is ok, but not knowing they are capable of stopping teams like argentina and brazil is outrages (man i like using strong words) !!

bardia

arashinho

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Berkeleyish
bardia jaan,

in the early to mid90's mexico was really great but they went through a period of rebuilding after their 1994 world cup stars became too old. in the last 5 years they were even worse than the united states which was probably outrageous (strong word!) to them. my surprise was at how muc they have improved since the 2002 world cup.