Arsenal finally appoint new CEO

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
I dont feel comfortable with MLS executives/commissionares. All they care about is $ and marketing. hope he proves me wrong though.

Arsenal

National Team Player
Apr 11, 2003
BWI/PHL
www.arsenalamerica.com
I dont feel comfortable with MLS executives/commissionares. All they care about is $ and marketing. hope he proves me wrong though.
Well he has ties to England so he shouldn't be completely a oriented towards marketing. MLS is all about marketing. The league simply would not exist without out but he hopefully understands that things are a bit different over there.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Well he has ties to England so he shouldn't be completely a oriented towards marketing. MLS is all about marketing. The league simply would not exist without out but he hopefully understands that things are a bit different over there.
Don't really think that it's bad to have someone good in marketing. We had good marketing people at Barcelona and they turned the club into a decent trademark(more than a club stuff). I mean..MLS marketing so far sucked pretty bad :D but still, for clubs who don't have a sugar daddy, good marketing is a nice thing.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Don't really think that it's bad to have someone good in marketing. We had good marketing people at Barcelona and they turned the club into a decent trademark(more than a club stuff). I mean..MLS marketing so far sucked pretty bad :D but still, for clubs who don't have a sugar daddy, good marketing is a nice thing.
yeah its good to have some1 good at marketing in the club, but then the backbone and results should be on track too to be able to market it well! U cant market a club easily which hasnt won an EPL/CL title in 5 yrs!! He should have top notch sport management skills like David Dein had.

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
yeah its good to have some1 good at marketing in the club, but then the backbone and results should be on track too to be able to market it well! U cant market a club easily which hasnt won an EPL/CL title in 5 yrs!! He should have top notch sport management skills like David Dein had.
You don't know the magic of marketing. With bad marketing, you can have a great product but suck otherwise(Apple pre Steve Jobs return and iPod), with good marketing you can have a soso product-worse than previous model product and still make people believe it's the best since sangak(Apple after).

Arsenal is the only club in London with a real solid fanbase, has a nice new stadium and could sell this whole youth team stuff very very well..at least if done right. Would attract lots of money in the US(which right now seems to be the most interesting market thanks to Latinos) and everywhere else..so..really..don't underestimate the power of a brand.

Arsenal

National Team Player
Apr 11, 2003
BWI/PHL
www.arsenalamerica.com
Brand promotion is essential. I'm completely ok with the concept. However, winning on the field is essential as well. Barcelona's done both recently while we haven't. Clearly the profile of the club is higher now than ever on a world wide basis but....just win baby.

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
Brand promotion is essential. I'm completely ok with the concept. However, winning on the field is essential as well. Barcelona's done both recently while we haven't. Clearly the profile of the club is higher now than ever on a world wide basis but....just win baby.

of course...it would require to do decent in league or CL too..otherwise you don't have much to promote.

you can still call up Arte Moreno in the end though...but he might change your team name to London Arsenal Gunners of Islington :D

Arsenal

National Team Player
Apr 11, 2003
BWI/PHL
www.arsenalamerica.com
Seriously though...if anyone has doubts about what a combination of smart marketing and winning on the field can do, just have a look at the Angels franchise since Moreno took over the team in 2002. He maintained a competitive team, albeit they haven't won the World Series since he took over the team, and went crazy promoting the team in Southern California...even went and put up billboards north in what was traditionally Dodgers country. 6 years later the franchise had doubled in value to more than $500 million and now ranks something like 6th overall behind the New York teams, Boston, the Cubs, and the Dodgers.

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
Seriously though...if anyone has doubts about what a combination of smart marketing and winning on the field can do, just have a look at the Angels franchise since Moreno took over the team in 2002. He maintained a competitive team, albeit they haven't won the World Series since he took over the team, and went crazy promoting the team in Southern California...even went and put up billboards north in what was traditionally Dodgers country. 6 years later the franchise had doubled in value to more than $500 million and now ranks something like 6th overall behind the New York teams, Boston, the Cubs, and the Dodgers.
I was surprised myself when I read about the value of Angels. Not even all those ridiculous Disney movies did what good marketing managed to and they can now sign and keep decent big players. pretty impressive.