Arsenal penalty vs HSV

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Hamburg got screwed so bad last night... Arsenal yet did it again, just like in the CL final they dove again yesterday.

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzb_sKN5UNk[/nomedia]

A penalty and a red card for Hamburgs keeper in the 10th minute!! Unbelievable!!

Arsenal

National Team Player
Apr 11, 2003
BWI/PHL
www.arsenalamerica.com
I actually wasn't going to bother with this but you know what's even more unbelievable? That HSV fans can't comprehend that Churchstone their goalie lunged at the Van P. The fact that he may have missed with the lunge is down to Van P, is of secondary nature, and doesn't exonerate the goalie's act.

halftime

Bench Warmer
Nov 24, 2004
I was really disappointed to see what I thought were blatant dives from two players last night.

IMHO Ryan Giggs and Van Persie both dived. Man U gained their first goal and Arsenal got a goal and the Hamburg keeper sent off!

In both situations there was some contact but, in Giggs case, there was certainly not enough to result in the way he fell over. In Van Persie's case he was very clever in dragging his back leg low in order to secure contact with the goalkeeper's leg. His fall was then fantastic It would have been much easier to avoid contact I reckon.

Go Iran

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
Arsenal said:
Having said that...I'll say that the even though I wasn't surprised by the call for a pk, the red card was indeed harsh.
so he lunged but didn't touch V. Persie, who in turn took the liberty of acting out what would happen if the goalie actually made contact. I guess whenever the ball passes the vicinity of a player's hand in the box, the ref can call penalty as well. Who cares if it actually touches. If it's close enough we'll point to the spot. And oh btw this in no way, shape of form is similar to what happened in the champions league final. In that instance Lehman actually tripped our attacker and the foul didn't actually benefit us.

What's funnier is all the English fans always crying foul when they see diving against their national team or club teams from other countries, but when their own players and teams do it's quite alright. It's like Henry after the champions league final claiming that barca players were rough but he's not a girl so he doesn't go down, but doing his best girly impressions at the world cup.

Farsi Zaban said:
so he lunged but didn't touch V. Persie, who in turn took the liberty of acting out what would happen if the goalie actually made contact. I guess whenever the ball passes the vicinity of a player's hand in the box, the ref can call penalty as well. Who cares if it actually touches. If it's close enough we'll point to the spot. And oh btw this in no way, shape of form is similar to what happened in the champions league final. In that instance Lehman actually tripped our attacker and the foul didn't actually benefit us.

What's funnier is all the English fans always crying foul when they see diving against their national team or club teams from other countries, but when their own players and teams do it's quite alright. It's like Henry after the champions league final claiming that barca players were rough but he's not a girl so he doesn't go down, but doing his best girly impressions at the world cup.

akh ke to mano koshti ba on avataret :D

Arsenal

National Team Player
Apr 11, 2003
BWI/PHL
www.arsenalamerica.com
Farsi Zaban said:

Next time I see you I'll be sure to come over and take a swing at you. Given that you've got great reflexes though, you'll dodge my punch. No harm done then.....you're going to be content with that? And shouldn't I have to face any repercussions as a result of my act?

Arsenal

National Team Player
Apr 11, 2003
BWI/PHL
www.arsenalamerica.com
Farsi Zaban said:
And oh btw this in no way, shape of form is similar to what happened in the champions league final. In that instance Lehman actually tripped our attacker and the foul didn't actually benefit us.
FYI, he's not referring to the Lehmann incident but rather the Eboue one which led to the Campbell goal.

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Arsenal said:
I actually wasn't going to bother with this but you know what's even more unbelievable? That HSV fans can't comprehend that Churchstone their goalie lunged at the Van P. The fact that he may have missed with the lunge is down to Van P, is of secondary nature, and doesn't exonerate the goalie's act.
So every contact results in a penalty? I mean its not clear if there even was some kind of contact!! I was sitting very near the incident when it happened in the stadium, I saw it live that he dove and when I got home and saw the replay it confirmed my opinion.

Btw, Churchstone? whats up with that? If anything, his translated name is Cherrystone.

IPride

National Team Player
Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Arsenal said:
Next time I see you I'll be sure to come over and take a swing at you. Given that you've got great reflexes though, you'll dodge my punch. No harm done then.....you're going to be content with that? And shouldn't I have to face any repercussions as a result of my act?
Lunge or no lunge, the goalie did not touch van persie, meaning he didn't stop him from doing whatever he was doing.
As FZ alluded to, if refs go around penalizing players for actions that COULD constitute a foul if contact is made then each game will have a couple of red cards..

Similarly, each tacle for the ball COULD hit the opposing player in the ankle or somewhere sensitive which usually means a yellow or a red depending on the nature of it.. Lets give every player who tackles a card then, how is that.?

Arsenal

National Team Player
Apr 11, 2003
BWI/PHL
www.arsenalamerica.com
Sabzi said:
So every contact results in a penalty? I mean its not clear if there even was some kind of contact!! I was sitting very near the incident when it happened in the stadium, I saw it live that he dove and when I got home and saw the replay it confirmed my opinion.

Btw, Churchstone? whats up with that? If anything, his translated name is Cherrystone.
Dude, I had put some real thought into that..:D I looked on the back of the shirt and thought I saw Kirchstein and not Kirschstein. Anyways, I am open to debate on this one but it's not clearly one sided as some of you guys are saying. Honestly, I wasn't that surprised at the call and wouldn't have been all that surprised if he hadn't called it. The red card did surprise me though.

Arsenal

National Team Player
Apr 11, 2003
BWI/PHL
www.arsenalamerica.com
IPride said:
if refs go around penalizing players for actions that COULD constitute a foul if contact is made then each game will have a couple of red cards..
But where do you draw the line? I mean if Kompany, for argument's sake, decides to suddenly kung-fu kick Adebayor but Adebayor steps out of the way matador-style, shouldn't Kompany be penalized?

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Well, I tell you in the German league Van Persie would have gotten a yellow card for diving rather than getting a penalty. I mean I am not a die-hard supporter of Hamburg so when it comes to these scenes I am not as subjective as it may seem to you. In fact it appeared to me that the ref didnt call many fouls on Arsenal players yesterday durin the whole game which in my eyes were indeed fouls, but at the end of the day the keeper didnt have any contact with the player, even if there was it couldnt have brought van Persie down in the way he fell...

Bottom line is thats its a terrible start for an ambitious team to go into a game and after ten minutes get an undeserved penalty & red card against itself... your whole game plan is destroyed and thats just unfair because of such a situation.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
halftime said:
I was really disappointed to see what I thought were blatant dives from two players last night.

IMHO Ryan Giggs and Van Persie both dived. Man U gained their first goal and Arsenal got a goal and the Hamburg keeper sent off!

In both situations there was some contact but, in Giggs case, there was certainly not enough to result in the way he fell over. In Van Persie's case he was very clever in dragging his back leg low in order to secure contact with the goalkeeper's leg. His fall was then fantastic It would have been much easier to avoid contact I reckon.

Go Iran
The only difference was that Giggs was not touched and there was no penalty, but the Hamburgh keeper did make some contact both with his foot and his hand. So the Arsenal penalty was correct while ManU's was not! Of course both teams were the better team and deserved the win anyway. As for the red card, the rule says that if you foul as the last person in a clear goal scoring situation, it is an automatic red card even if the contact is minimal, so the ref had little choice.