Arsenal vs Everton [R]

Nov 29, 2002
Everton DOESN'T have a POSITIVE GOAL DIFFERENCE and they're in the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE?!?!?

Whilst LIVERPOOL are about to win it and won't get to defend it?!??!

Someone get me some coffee...

khompareh

Bench Warmer
Oct 16, 2004
Here is the report from BBC

Arsenal 7-0 Everton

More Highbury photos

A virtuoso performance from Dennis Bergkamp inspired Arsenal to victory.

Thanks to Bergkamp's vision and touch Arsenal had scored twice in the opening 12 minutes, the Dutchman setting up Robin van Persie and Robert Pires.

Bergkamp's pass for Arsenal's third was even better, releasing Patrick Vieira who deftly chipped Richard Wright.

After the break Pires bagged a second, Edu fired in a penalty, Bergkamp capped a superb display with the sixth, with Mathieu Flamini completing the rout.

Arsenal's control was so total that manager Arsene Wenger was able to introduce Thierry Henry after the break, the Frenchman's return from a groin injury a timely boost ahead of the FA Cup Final.

Everton were restricted to a few hurried shots, two from Mikel Arteta and one from James Beattie.

The margin of Arsenal's victory - a record under Arsene Wenger - was even more astonishing given Everton's qualification for the Champions League.

Arteta's first effort came before Arsenal scored their opener, a miss that was to prove costly.

Bergkamp has still not yet been offered a new contract by Arsenal, but on the evidence of his performance he is likely to be finding gainful employment at Highbury come the start of the new season.

The Dutchman, who turned 36 on Tuesday, was by far the best player on the pitch, his every touch, his every pass, drawing appreciation from the Highbury crowd.

First Bergkamp slipped a pass through to Van Persie that completely cut out the Everton defence.

Without breaking stride, Van Persie curled the ball past Wright.

After displaying the art of the short pass, Bergkamp showcased his long passing skills, freeing Van Persie, who was lurking on the left.

The former Feyenoord winger pulled the ball back for Pires, whose initial shot was well saved by Wright.

However luck was against the Everton keeper as the ball went straight to Pires, who cleverly flighted a lobbed header over Wright.

As Arsenal warmed to the task of entertaining Highbury for its final game of the season, Edu's dummy created a space for Vieira, whose swerving shot went narrowly wide.

Vieira was soon on the scoresheet as he delicately chipped Wright after the Frenchman was released by another exquisite Bergkamp pass.

After the interval Bergkamp was quickly back to work, twice releasing Henry, who first fell under a clumsy tackle from Joseph Yobo and then was just unable to reach the Dutchman's cross.

The fourth goal arrived on 50 minutes, with Bergkamp once again involved.

He clipped the ball into Henry, whose pass found its way to Pires after a deflection off Carsley.

Pires effortlessly stroked the ball past Wright to claim his second of the game.

Carsley handled a Henry pass to give away the penalty.

The Arsenal team asked Edu to take the spotkick, the Brazilian scoring in his final Highbury appearance despite Wright getting a hand to the shot. Bergkamp brought the house down when he scored Arsenal's sixth, clipping the ball past Wright. Arsenal refused to rest on their laurels and Flamini added a seventh with a half-volley after good work from Henry and Jose Antonio Reyes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4528611.stm

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
wow! and 7 different goal scorers too!!

i hope everton are not a total embarassement in CL next season. they have done pretty ok this season, so im not gonna put them down based on this one result.

Nov 24, 2002
arsenal is improving alottt, 2 wins over high-rated table teams is the prove , wow 7-0 imazing .. i hope they dont become another xemple of berem and leverkuzen in CL next season ..
but honestly if liverpool win .. they wont have any chance in CL ?! :( that is sad ..

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
Babr_E_Mazandaran said:
arsenal is improving alottt, 2 wins over high-rated table teams is the prove , wow 7-0 imazing .. i hope they dont become another xemple of berem and leverkuzen in CL next season ..
but honestly if liverpool win .. they wont have any chance in CL ?! :( that is sad ..
they might have a chance. there is all sorts of talks. uefa said no first. but uefa president said that there might be a chance to let them in. lets wait and see if they win it first!

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Agha Shojaa said:
sporty kojaee :)
lol,I swear I was thinking of him after each of Arsenal's goals!!!;)

That was the best match/result Ive watched. It was all about attack and scoring goals. absolutly beautiful and magical!!

Gooooo Arsenal all the time, all the way!!:)

halftime

Bench Warmer
Nov 24, 2004
Bergkamps performance last night was nothing short of breathtaking. He is the kind of player worth going over the top about. Arguably the best foreign player to have ever played in the Premiership. I think Wenger is making a mistake by stalling on a new contract for him.

Go Iran

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Agha Shojaa said:
sporty kojaee :)
Agha Shojaa, I'm just coming out of the hole I've been hiding in. What an embarassment! Everton's worse loss in the 23 years I've followed them. Just shocking!!!

Not to make excuses, but Liverpool's loss to Arsenal last weekend kind of ended our season, ie nothing really to play for. Usually this time of year we would be involved in some kind of relegation battle etc, but qualifying for the Champion's League for the very first time, you can see why the players may have lost focus. However, hats off to David Moyes who isn't putting up with this load of $hit. He ordered the players to go out onto the field after the match to apologise to the travelling fans. We got another hard one this weekend against the United Nations of Bolton but hopefully the boys can get a respectable result for a fitting season's end.

You know before the season had started the pundits were predicting these sorts of results against Everton, but they were also predicting we would be relegated. If we were to ever lose a match 7-0, I'd rather this occasion where its not going to effect our season much and we've already qualified for UCL.

I'm just really worries that we won't be able to get passed the play-off match. If we do, we should be able to get heaps of new good players to replace the one's we've lost and have a good showing in europe next year!