Asian Cup 2019 UAE (Brackets/ Team News/ History)

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
Relieving to see KSA out. I thought they were a strong side and would eventually made it to the final. Japan parked the bus and prevented that!

Interesting to see a whole other side of this Japanese team. I didn't expect them to be so good at bus parking! CQ must've been drooling watching them :)
:):D:D:)

tbf apart from the 2nd half against IRQ, Iran have played relatively attacking footbal so far in AFC 2019

:):D:D:)

tbf apart from the 2nd half against IRQ, Iran have played relatively attacking footbal so far in AFC 2019
That's mostly because our opponents were so scared of Iran they forced Iranian players to stay up the pitch. Oman was down 2-0 in the 2nd half and still didn't come out of their shell. I noticed at some point Iranian players really didn't know how to deal with the matter anymore.

I hope teams like China and Japan don't pack it in against us. We don't really have the most brilliant offensive game. CQ's game plan is all about not conceding the 1st goal. We were quite fortunate Oman's penalty got wasted yesterday.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
That's mostly because our opponents were so scared of Iran they forced Iranian players to stay up the pitch. Oman was down 2-0 in the 2nd half and still didn't come out of their shell. I noticed at some point Iranian players really didn't know how to deal with the matter anymore.

I hope teams like China and Japan don't pack it in against us. We don't really have the most brilliant offensive game. CQ's game plan is all about not conceding the 1st goal. We were quite fortunate Oman's penalty got wasted yesterday.
It’s because Iran is not letting them attack by pressing up front. This is not something you see at Asian level and Asian teams are not used to dealing with this type of pressure, hence it looks like they don’t want to attack. This style of playing requires excellent stamina and decipline. Iranians are running a lot and at the same time managing the game. Surely, there are lapses here and there which is mainly due to trying to recover and then start pressuring again because you cannot keep this kind of pressure the entire 90 minutes.

Feb 4, 2005
It’s because Iran is not letting them attack by pressing up front. This is not something you see at Asian level and Asian teams are not used to dealing with this type of pressure, hence it looks like they don’t want to attack. This style of playing requires excellent stamina and decipline. Iranians are running a lot and at the same time managing the game. Surely, there are lapses here and there which is mainly due to trying to recover and then start pressuring again because you cannot keep this kind of pressure the entire 90 minutes.
Nice way of looking at it.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
Having watched highlights of both games: hard to believe that KSA dominated the game in every aspect against Japan (78% to 22% possession!!!) and still lost the game! Either Saudi team is not that good, or Japan is not that strong!
Australians managed to beat Uzbekistan but I haven't seen Australia this weak since they joined AFC.
This is the problem with Asia, even when teams like Japan don't play well, they still manage to get away with it... that's my observation so far.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
From now on, all teams in this tournament facing TM whatever they do they need and above all should not letting the game slips towards any extra time and/or shootouts.
As a coach I would absolutely warn my players to not going for a tie during ordinary of the 90 min. vs TM as long as this fella Melody Maker stands in the box.
A confident goalie is of crucial importance as the knockout-action has been get off the ground.

Last edited:

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
It is also a gamble in the knockout stage if you don’t finish the job in 90 minutes, and the match goes to extra time because your side will be exhausted.