Atlanta (USA not Iran) considers banning baggy pants!!!

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
Thu Aug 23, 9:39 AM ET

ATLANTA - Baggy pants that show boxer shorts or thongs would be illegal under a proposed amendment to Atlanta's indecency laws.

The amendment, sponsored by city councilman C.T. Martin, states that sagging pants are an "epidemic" that is becoming a "major concern" around the country.
"Little children see it and want to adopt it, thinking it's the in thing," Martin said Wednesday. "I don't want young people thinking that half-dressing is the way to go. I want them to think about their future."

The proposed ordinance would also bar women from showing the strap of a thong beneath their pants. They would also be prohibited from wearing jogging bras in public or show a bra strap, said Debbie Seagraves, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia.

The proposed ordinance states that "the indecent exposure of his or her undergarments" would be unlawful in a public place. It would go in the same portion of the city code that outlaws sex in public and the exposure or fondling of genitals.
The penalty would be a fine in an amount to be determined, Martin said.
But Seagraves said any legislation that creates a dress code would not survive a court challenge. She said the law could not be enforced in a nondiscriminatory way because it targets something that came out of the black youth culture.

"This is a racial profiling bill that promotes and establishes a framework for an additional type of racial profiling," Seagraves said.

Martin, who is black, said he plans to hold public hearings and vet the proposal through churches, civil rights groups and neighborhood organizations. The proposal will get its first public airing next Tuesday in the City Council's Public Safety Committee.

"The purpose of the paper is to generate some conversation to see if we can find a solution," Martin said. "It will be like all the discussions we've had around the value of the hip-hop culture. We know there are First Amendment issues ... and some will say I'm just trying to put young black men in jail, but it's going to be fines."

Makeda Johnson, an Atlanta mother of a 14-year-old girl, said she is glad Martin introduced the proposal. She does not want to see a law against clothing, but said she thinks teenagers are sending a message with a way of dressing that is based in jailhouse behavior.

Atlanta would not be the first city to take on sagging pants.

Earlier this year, the town council in Delcambre, La., passed an ordinance that carries a fine of up to $500 or six months in jail for exposing underwear in public. Several other municipalities and parish governments in Louisiana have enacted similar laws in recent months.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070823...gging_pants;_ylt=AoAYHUBU2C8kTdrz9J_9BEis0NUE

people warned if Ahmadinejad becomes presidents social freedoms will become restricted. Alas people in the US didn't listen.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
I don't understand the point you are trying to make. Are you trying to say that banning things such as showing your underwear / bra etc. is the same as forcing others to wear hejab etc.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make. Are you trying to say that banning one form of dressing is not the same concept as banning another form of dressing?

Surely eating an apple in the US is not the same as eating an orange in Iran but I think everyone would agree that eating a fruit is the same concept regardless of the exact type of fruit or the geographical location.

Farzad-USA

Bench Warmer
Apr 4, 2007
rooyesh.blog.com
I don't understand the point you are trying to make. Are you trying to say that banning one form of dressing is not the same concept as banning another form of dressing?

Surely eating an apple in the US is not the same as eating an orange in Iran but I think everyone would agree that eating a fruit is the same concept regardless of the exact type of fruit or the geographical location.
interesting!!!

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002

I agree with you. I even would vote for closing all prisons and executing all the criminal. After all, executing for one crime is the same concept as executing for other crimes.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Thu Aug 23, 9:39 AM ET

ATLANTA - Baggy pants that show boxer shorts or thongs would be illegal under a proposed amendment to Atlanta's indecency laws.
It's a proposed law...which is quite a difference to hejab laws in Iran, which are in place..no?

Earlier this year, the town council in Delcambre, La., passed an ordinance that carries a fine of up to $500 or six months in jail for exposing underwear in public. Several other municipalities and parish governments in Louisiana have enacted similar laws in recent months.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070823...gging_pants;_ylt=AoAYHUBU2C8kTdrz9J_9BEis0NUE

people warned if Ahmadinejad becomes presidents social freedoms will become restricted. Alas people in the US didn't listen.
Khob hala manzoor? There's also the death penalty in both countries. What's the point you are trying to make? That American lawmakers are just as beekar as your Iranian friends? Didn't Louisiana have David Duke as their Representative?? He is a good friend of Mahmoud, no?

Now just cause I'm curious..what happens when a group of people in Delcambre decide to protest against that law? Will they be jailed, beaten up, etc. like in Iran?

Mammad jun, aghalekan baraye mozdi ke migiri kareto behtar kon. :)

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I think the point being made is to point out the ridiculous nature of the proposed law, which I would tend to agree with. Let the kids wear what they want and concentrate on the important issues, like drugs etc. Having said that, there is a difference, IMO, between this and Hejaab as enforced by Iran, but I am not sure if the original post implied any such similarity. One is forcing a limited way of expression, while the other excludes a form of expression, kind of like the difference between saying that you can only eat pork from now on vs. you can NOT eat pork from now on. In one instance you have a great many choices, in the ohter you have very limited choices.

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
I think the point being made is to point out the ridiculous nature of the proposed law, which I would tend to agree with. Let the kids wear what they want and concentrate on the important issues, like drugs etc. Having said that, there is a difference, IMO, between this and Hejaab as enforced by Iran, but I am not sure if the original post implied any such similarity. One is forcing a limited way of expression, while the other excludes a form of expression, kind of like the difference between saying that you can only eat pork from now on vs. you can NOT eat pork from now on. In one instance you have a great many choices, in the ohter you have very limited choices.

you have also a lot of choice in iran man..don't be like that.

You can wear Roopoosh+Roosari, Roopoosh+Maghnae, Manteau+Roosari, Manteau+Maghnae, Chador, Chador+Maghnae....look at all the permutations.
Then you can wear black Roopoosh, black manteau, black roosari, brown roosari, dark brown, green, blue, pink...you have lots of choices in Iran too.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
you have also a lot of choice in iran man..don't be like that.

You can wear Roopoosh+Roosari, Roopoosh+Maghnae, Manteau+Roosari, Manteau+Maghnae, Chador, Chador+Maghnae....look at all the permutations.
Then you can wear black Roopoosh, black manteau, black roosari, brown roosari, dark brown, green, blue, pink...you have lots of choices in Iran too.
LOL, my bad, I guess it is the same after all!! Really, even if we put the 2 things on the same level, just becuase the people in Atlanta are retarded doesn't justify the degrading and opressive action of the IR!!

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
It's a proposed law...which is quite a difference to hejab laws in Iran, which are in place..no?
LOL. How stupid does one have to be to make the above statement and then turn around and right under it post the following quote that says: “Several other municipalities and parish governments in Louisiana have enacted similar laws in recent months.” LOL

Khob hala manzoor?
I just posted a piece of news I found interesting. I didn’t post an opinion that you’re asking for my point. My response to Behrang’s comment on the other hand is self explanatory and if you’re too dumb to understand such a clear concept then I’m afraid that any attempt on my behalf to explain the obvious to you would be an exercise in futility.

Now just cause I'm curious..what happens when a group of people in Delcambre decide to protest against that law? Will they be jailed, beaten up, etc. like in Iran?
You’re not curious, just an ass trying to act curiously smart. If a group of people in Delcambre decide to protest against that law without a permit or by showing their underwear in public in defiance of the law then yes they will be jailed and if they try to resist arrest then they will be beaten up, etc.

Mammad jun, aghalekan baraye mozdi ke migiri kareto behtar kon.
More personal attacks and labeling. What a surprise.

westwienmaskulin

Oct 18, 2002
LOL. How stupid does one have to be to make the above statement and then turn around and right under it post the following quote that says: “Several other municipalities and parish governments in Louisiana have enacted similar laws in recent months.” LOL
LOOOL! How stupid must one be to not be able to read the first line of the article one posts.

It's a proposed law for Atlanta, no?? :10:

I just posted a piece of news I found interesting. I didn’t post an opinion that you’re asking for my point. My response to Behrang’s comment on the other hand is self explanatory and if you’re too dumb to understand such a clear concept then I’m afraid that any attempt on my behalf to explain the obvious to you would be an exercise in futility.
Ok..so your point is just to share an interesting article with us and you have no opinion. I guess you are the first human RSS machine.

You’re not curious, just an ass trying to act curiously smart. If a group of people in Delcambre decide to protest against that law without a permit or by showing their underwear in public in defiance of the law then yes they will be jailed and if they try to resist arrest then they will be beaten up, etc.
I see....protest without a permit...are there demonstration permits handed out in Iran?
And what happens if they decide to sit in a park on international baggy pants day or 2Pac day? Will they be jailed too and beaten up like Iranian women on international women day?

Chera enghadr nazok narenji shodi Sooski jun?? Chi shod?? Man khial kardam to dar maktabe bruce lee hasti.."Be water.." khejalat bekesh, absho, boro too zamin. ;)

Mehran(ISP)

<b>Administrator</b>
Oct 16, 2002
MD, USA

So your telling me that Ostan Markazi can put a law in place taking away hejab?????? yea, i didnt think so. Your making a fool out of yourself on this one so i would stop while your ahead. Usually, at least you have some counter arguments with some reciting that can be reviewed.

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
If a group of people in Delcambre decide to protest against that law without a permit or by showing their underwear in public in defiance of the law then yes they will be jailed and if they try to resist arrest then they will be beaten up, etc.
How about if I write an article against this law in a paper? How about if I petition against this law and try to gather one million signatures? How about if I just wear a T shirt saying "Baggy Pants Law is Stupid"? How about if I just pass handouts in a park against the law? How about if I just trim my eye brow? Oh, sorry. Wrong thread.

Last edited:

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
I personally find those underpants showing a very disgusting scene. Not in terms of decency cr@p but in terms of aesthetics.
On the other hand, a woman without Hijab (I do not mean naked) is pleasing to the eyes of men and women.

But that is a personal choice. IRI, France, Turkey and Atlanta should shut their DOKKAAN and let the people be so long as they do not show their cracks in public.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
So your telling me that Ostan Markazi can put a law in place taking away hejab?????? yea, i didnt think so. Your making a fool out of yourself on this one so i would stop while your ahead. Usually, at least you have some counter arguments with some reciting that can be reviewed.
Did you see me say that any where? khodet miborrio khodetam midoozi aziz? LOL

Did you see me say that the laws in both countries are the same? Did you see me try to justify Iran with US? If you did, then either you're extremely stupid or are extremely hallucinating which in either case you need serious help preferably at some sort of a psych facility or institution.

One more time, I said once you start telling people what they can or can't wear the CONCEPT becomes the same regardless of the cut off point or the country (right or wrong of it is your decision).

For some one like me who believes that FREE PEOPLE should be free to walk the streets naked if they wish then telling them they have to pull their pants up is as wrong as telling them they have to pull their scarves forward. For some one like you who only believes in partial freedom the latter may sound completely restrictive while the former sounds OK or less restrictive.

Again, since some of you are a bit slow, the details of the actions are clearly not the same but the CONCEPT is the same. In both cases the "big brother" is telling grown individuals how they should or should not dress.

I also find it ironic and amusing that at the time when everyone said that Ahmadinejad in Iran would implement these concepts that such a thing is happening here in the land of the free and home of the brave. But hey, that's just me. If you don't find it interesting then "beh tokhm e chapam".

houman

Bench Warmer
Oct 14, 2004
Dallas, TX
It clearly states in the article, even IF the ordinance passes, there is no way in hell it can withstand a court challenge. I'm not sure how one can make comparisons with the social restrictions that are in place and harshly ENFORCED in Iran.

Farzad-USA

Bench Warmer
Apr 4, 2007
rooyesh.blog.com
Martin, who is black, said he plans to hold public hearings and vet the proposal through churches, civil rights groups and neighborhood organizations. The proposal will get its first public airing next Tuesday in the City Council's Public Safety Committee.

This is the key, there will be a public hearings, so the city is ready to listen to other people. Let's assume Tabriz decide to do something about hijab, the basijis and plain cloth militias will attack and arrest everyone before the meeting even starts and will keep them in prison for god knows many months. Then suddently IR brings them on TV and they will confess on TV they were trying to stage a revolution in iran and they are agents of the U.S., U.K. and Israel.

Mehran(ISP)

<b>Administrator</b>
Oct 16, 2002
MD, USA
Did you see me say that any where? khodet miborrio khodetam midoozi aziz? LOL

Did you see me say that the laws in both countries are the same? Did you see me try to justify Iran with US? If you did, then either you're extremely stupid or are extremely hallucinating which in either case you need serious help preferably at some sort of a psych facility or institution.

One more time, I said once you start telling people what they can or can't wear the CONCEPT becomes the same regardless of the cut off point or the country (right or wrong of it is your decision).

For some one like me who believes that FREE PEOPLE should be free to walk the streets naked if they wish then telling them they have to pull their pants up is as wrong as telling them they have to pull their scarves forward. For some one like you who only believes in partial freedom the latter may sound completely restrictive while the former sounds OK or less restrictive.

Again, since some of you are a bit slow, the details of the actions are clearly not the same but the CONCEPT is the same. In both cases the "big brother" is telling grown individuals how they should or should not dress.

I also find it ironic and amusing that at the time when everyone said that Ahmadinejad in Iran would implement these concepts that such a thing is happening here in the land of the free and home of the brave. But hey, that's just me. If you don't find it interesting then "beh tokhm e chapam".
You know what. Someone should start a petition going away with hejab. Lets see how many people in Iran sign it and lets see if the government does anything about it? What do you think the Gov't will do, will they listen and represent their people? Am sure if there is enough publicity people wouldnt mind getting to internet connection to sign it. Or just how about a written petition by a local