Backup site for 2010 WC

farhad611

Bench Warmer
Jul 21, 2005
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=554459&sec=world&&cc=5901

I have a feeling ALiAbadi would ask Blatter to consider Iran as the top backup choice!
:bday:
keep dreaming mate...we won't even hold an Asian Cup until Iran is IR.

anyways I knew this was going to happen. If S. Africa is unable then it's still an African nation holding it most likely if they're ready since they were the candinates:
  1. South Africa, 14 votes
  2. Morocco, 10 votes
  3. Egypt, 0 votes
and if not...then it's going to be hosted by England, USA, Spain, or somewhere trusted...

Feb 18, 2004
The Iran think was joke of course.

I think the leading candidate is England and US just based on the organization and available facilities.

JazzedUp

Bench Warmer
Dec 1, 2002
London
I doubt any of the other African nations are capable of hosting this if SA won't be ready on time. I reckon it's gonna be Australia. They have a lot of facilities and they have hosted the Olympics and Rugby World Cup before and they did fantastic jobs so quite likely it'll be them. After that it'll go to some European country. I doubt if it's gonna be hosted in the US since they want a country or region that would be accesible to tourists easily and football is the number 1 sport so they can earn as much revenue as they can.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
I doubt any of the other African nations are capable of hosting this if SA won't be ready on time. I reckon it's gonna be Australia. They have a lot of facilities and they have hosted the Olympics and Rugby World Cup before and they did fantastic jobs so quite likely it'll be them. After that it'll go to some European country. I doubt if it's gonna be hosted in the US since they want a country or region that would be accesible to tourists easily and football is the number 1 sport so they can earn as much revenue as they can.

yeah S.Africa was really the richest of all African countries to host WC.
Spain hosting it would be just awesome..but Australia too is a vast country with a lot of stadiums and football interest now.

dariush-44

Bench Warmer
Oct 15, 2004
I agree with Pooya, Australia has a very strong chance BUT I think the US may have a chance as well because it seems to be the most prepared regardless of the short deadline. All they have to do is erase the NFL field markings and we're good to go :D

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
I thought they had said last year (during the strikes) that England would be the #1 choice. Australia would be great though. Would that mean one more spot for Asia?!

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
I always had my doubts about SA hosting the cup.

But I think it would take a monumental failure by South Africans for FIFA to actually replace them. There is a lot of political/sentimental motivation behind hosting the WC in Africa.

If -and that's a big IF- the event is moved, I think US, Australia, England and Spain are probably the front runners.

JazzedUp

Bench Warmer
Dec 1, 2002
London
No but Australia in general is about mad about any sports. It'll be a huge event in Australia. One thing I didn't think about was if Fifa still wants to stick to their rotational system they might go South America (Brazil) since there were thinking about doing that anyway for 2014 anyway. Although I'm not quite sure if they the facilities to do that.

I hope SA can manage to do it. It'll be a shame if they lose this.