Best Iranian Restaurant outside Iran

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Don't think so. The couple that owns it are just not there like they used to be hands on 24/7. They have aged. It still is good but a bit overrated.
I think what happened was this. Raffi's is so big now they serve hundreds of people a day, so they are going to have to take some short cuts. They are going to have to pre cook their Kabobs and then they put it in the microwave, and just heat it up. Otherwise, how are you going to make 200 kabobs in a lunch hour. Also, I think too that the owners are not putting in the same effort, relying on the name. However, it is still GOOD, despite all of that. It used to be an A++ now it is an A+, it is still an A+.
100% agree, its "GOOD" and overpriced in my opinion. (comparing it with Vancouver prices)
I agree as well but you can't compare Vancouver to LA because the prices in Iranian eateries are different. When were you at Rafis man? I used to live in North Glendale, we could have shared a Kabob Soltani. I still say the 3 best that I have tried, in no particular order are
1- Caspian 2- Raffi's and 3- Shamshiri.

I too think Raffi's is a bit overrated, but it is still good, they make a good kabob but yes, they are overpriced and that is again because they have the name so they can charge a couple buck s more, than then next guy. Unfortunately, there are not too many good Iranian eateries in Las Vegas. There is one guy I found that he serves a good kabob and that is because he makes it out of lamb. So if you are planning on visiting Las Vegas, I would recommend going to anywhere but Iranian eateries, you will be disappointed, especially if you are coming from the LA/OC area.

Most of the eateries in Westwood or Irvine are usually good.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Come to Stockholm, go to the restaurants:

1. Diwan
2. Tehran Grill
3. Vanak

In that order, they will all give you kabab you have never experienced outside Iran and for many restaurants, even inside Iran.

rahim

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
behbahan
Come to Stockholm, go to the restaurants:

1. Diwan
2. Tehran Grill
3. Vanak

In that order, they will all give you kabab you have never experienced outside Iran and for many restaurants, even inside Iran.
what is the average price for kabobs in these restaurants?

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Between 16 to 30 US dollars, depending on the dish and restaurant. Common dishes are between 18-22. However, if you go there for lunch during working days, the dishes cost around 10 US dollars.
Yes but is is still $10 for lunch time? That still seems kind of cheap for Kabob Kobideh. I agree with you though the best time to go is during lunch time, on the weekdays. Here are a few things you should stay away from ordering
Doug or soft drinks- Are you going to DIE if you drink water? Before my dad became an engineer, he had a Persian eatery in Westwood. There are two things that are interesting he said #1 the difference between Americans and Iranians, when they order and Ill share the #2.
#1 he said, "The Iranian will come up and say do you have chelo kabob, do you have Asi, do you have..... and play 20 questions with you. He added the American will patiently read every item in the menu, he doesn't know what chelo kabob is but then he will read the description and it will say beef kabob. He wished Iranians were more like Americans, in this respect.
#2 he says it is one of the toughest jobs you will ever do and he would never recommend it to anyone or do it again, he had to out of desperation. See back in the 80s they were just simply not hiring Iranians int he US. My dad and uncle were professional engineers, but they could not find work.

#3 He said something interesting about why someone's kabob kobideh or Gormeh Sabzi is good and why somebody else's is mediocre. He mentioned that there is no trick to it, in order to cook good food, you have to put in your love and good food takes time. I don't like Bademjoon but everyone says my grandmother makes the best Bademjoon. that is because she takes 5 hours to put the ab on the bademjoon and it becomes delicious.

I will say this much if you are thinking about opening up a restaurant, save yourself the headache and don't do it. It looks easy but it is not. However, he would always say, "Because of that restaurant, I was able to save $15,000 and get my first home in Irvine and a car." Then shortly after, he got a job at Parsons and his restaurant days were over.

Here are a few tricks with making kobideh. When you want to put the meat on the skwer, you have to have it, at a 45-degree angle. When you are mixing the meat, with the onions, it is ready when you can put your fist, and pick up the meat with your hands. To seal the edges and bottom or top part, you can use a little bit of water. To take out the Kabob is also an art. You want to pinch the sides and then with a fork, you move the skewer, not the kabob.

Trust me, you can make kabob Kobideh at your home, as good as they serve in Rafi's, Shamshiri, Caspian or elsewhere and you don't have to pay $10 at lunch time or $18-30 in the evening, if it is a specialty food.
Oh and eateries make money off of drinks so don't be a sucker and order that $3 Doog. Can't you just drink water?

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
I've been to all of these restaurants. I wouldn't rate any of them better then the rest. Another one in Ridgewood is Parisa. The portions at Parisa are huge.
Last night I was at Rayhoon.
For the last two years I have taken out food from Rose. I went to Pardis two years ago and used to go a lot to Persepolis and Ravagh few years back.
I also do not see any difference between Persian Restaurants but like Ros Kobedieh Kabab & Combination. Combination has rice, Barg, Kobedeh and Chicken for around $50. Two people can share the combination.

Last edited:

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
For the last two years I have taken out food from Rose. I went to Pardis two years ago and used to go a lot to Persepolis and Ravagh few years back.
I also do not see any difference between Persian Restaurants but like Ros Kobedieh Kabab & Combination. Combination has rice, Barg, Kobedeh and Chicken for around $50. Two people can share the combination.
Rose Restaurant used to be Honey chelo kababi. The previous owners now run Rayhoon and continue doing the Norooz Bazaar. Rayhoon seems more like a takeout place than a sit down restaurant. Or at least that was the vive last night as it was only us and one other table while people kept coming in to pick up their food.

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
I've been to all of these restaurants. I wouldn't rate any of them better then the rest. Another one in Ridgewood is Parisa. The portions at Parisa are huge.
Last night I was at Rayhoon.
I got the restaurants mixed up. It's actually Pardis that has the large portions.

Oct 18, 2010
i was in london for a short trip and got to go the best persian
restaurant outside iran.
it's an iranian owned place but they only do persian food on
sundays.
it's a nuevo-persian interpretation so don't expect to get the
traditional presentation but the food is tasty and an eye candy too :love:

https://www.thedrunkenbutler.com/

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
i was in london for a short trip and got to go the best persian
restaurant outside iran.
it's an iranian owned place but they only do persian food on
sundays.
it's a nuevo-persian interpretation so don't expect to get the
traditional presentation but the food is tasty and an eye candy too :love:

https://www.thedrunkenbutler.com/
I happened to be in Abbey Road just outside EMI studio and the famous zebra crossing ,loads of tourists or fans taking pictures on the crossing and writing on the walls outside the studio, half a mile up the road there's this Persian restaurant called Almas , quite nice.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I happened to be in Abbey Road just outside EMI studio and the famous zebra crossing ,loads of tourists or fans taking pictures on the crossing and writing on the walls outside the studio, half a mile up the road there's this Persian restaurant called Almas , quite nice.
Thanks for the feedback, definitely will go when I visit London this summer ;)

Oct 18, 2010
i try it next time i visit the miserable rainy little island right after iran beats england :D

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
i try it next time i visit the miserable rainy little island right after iran beats england :D
Which one ? The crossing or the restaurant?
It's rainy here but with some of the most beautiful nature, 😍 and not as miserable as Belgium!
Infact quite good nature people with humour.
But I share your desire on football.

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
Visiting NYC is is a great way to visit America. It has history and its representative of all cultures in the US. I think the same is true for London. The best American experience is to rent a RV and travel across the US.