Best Three Goals Ever

Bijan

Bench Warmer
Apr 18, 2004
Ok, now that we are talking about the best freekick (taker) ever and all, I came to the idea of the best three goals ever. I'll post mine and if you disagree you can post yours.

There are some criteria though: you should briefly argue what makes that goal so special and the goal should be the result of outstanding personal technique and genius thought. Besides, it should be a crucial goal, on a crucial moment.

1. Maradona against England

what makes this goal so special is that he scores it in a WC, after just having cheated the first goal and probably half of world's population being disgusted with him and all British people calling him names for being 'wack'. Then, from a technical point of view, the pace of the run, the movement and the creation of space where there was none, is so unbelievably smart and the ease with which he passes all those opponents plus the keeper make it the best goal that I have ever seen in the history of football.

2. Van Basten against USSR in 88

what make this goal the second best of all time is that it was scored in a EC final, and nobody else would have ever thought of kicking the ball in from that angle after that it was so long in the air! The technique displayed is probably never going to be matched in the future. The angle, the height, the pace, the way he jumps in the air, the sweep of his foot and then the way that ball falls into the side net and rolls along in the goal is the definition of genius act .

3. Roberto Baggio vs Juve

what makes this goal the third best of all time is that it was scored on a difficult moment in Baggio's carreer. Just having joined lowly Brescia after Lippi had backstabbed him at Inter, everybody said his carreer was over and his greatness gone. Brescia's only hope was to avoid Serie B and may be play a significant role at the Coppa Italia. And Baggio sure made it significant: it was the equaliser at the 86th minute at the Delle Alpi which saw Juve being knocked out of the Coppa. His first game with Brescia against the mighty Juve for who he had shone many years.

As far as technique and genius mind is considered: his run from the left to avoid the off side trap is unfortunately not fully captured in the video. Then, while being chased by three defenders and having to consider the out of his goal coming Van der Sar, he touches the ball so delicately in order to avoid both the defenders and Van der Sar and he touches the ball just once to do that! And having done that he lets the ball roll on with so much confidence not giving a crap about the crawling Van der Sar, knowing that he won't be able to reach the ball.

These three goals are art, PURE ART.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Bijan that Baggio goal was one of the best goal that has ever been scored and I remember it clearly. I didn't know to be mad or be happy for baggio. But I think the best goal I've ever watched from him was that late winner goal against Lazio in 1993, here you can watch it here between 1:40 to 2:00

Gorn Captain

Bench Warmer
Jan 19, 2008
Nelinho against Italy 1978,
Jairzinho against Italy 1970 final.

The 1970s has not been matched in football, i think it never will.

The best goal I have ever seen in my life is Crespo vs Wigan. It wasn't just the goal which was amazing, but it was the current situation. Wigan were in the Premiership for the first time ever, and this was the first game for them. They did so well then Crespo came on as a sub and scored on the 92nd minute!

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Bijan that Baggio goal was one of the best goal that has ever been scored and I remember it clearly. I didn't know to be mad or be happy for baggio. But I think the best goal I've ever watched from him was that late winner goal against Lazio in 1993, here you can watch it here between 1:40 to 2:00
That was a great goal but he did get the lucky breaks in that move. It looks like he lost control a couple of times but the ball went his way.
However, as they say you make your own luck. Baggio was such a great athelete that he never gave up and it was so hard to keep up with him.

When they talk about the greatest players in history I am surprised his name is usually out of the top 5.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
That was a great goal but he did get the lucky breaks in that move. It looks like he lost control a couple of times but the ball went his way.
However, as they say you make your own luck. Baggio was such a great athelete that he never gave up and it was so hard to keep up with him.

When they talk about the greatest players in history I am surprised his name is usually out of the top 5.
he lost his balance few times but he stayed up and didn't went down. Look at other players as well it seems like everybody was loosing their balance in that move. Doesn't matter if he is not considered as the best 5 players but the fact that his football touched many people says enough for him.

Bijan

Bench Warmer
Apr 18, 2004
It is a great goal Westi, delicate moment too, but I don't think it is irrepeatedly genius. And the volley itself is not Van Basten-like, nor the way the ball goes into the net. Although I must say that it is a great goal, a heck of a goal in the 92nd minute: amazing. But it doesn't cut it with me if I compare it wirh Baggio's goal in terms of uniqueness and genius.

Well byebyenow, I know that goal of Baggio and I do find it great. It is a showcase of technique, will and a whole lot of dribbling. Yet, I don't kow how significant that match and that goal were. Besides, it is not a unrepeatable dribble. Although a great one.

Dear Kaz, I was waiting for somebody to bring up that goal. It is a truely masterpiece, it is genius, it is, as Nilou jan said, calssic art!! And I love that goal, I love Bergkamp, hell he is the only reason I don't totally detest Arsenal. But, I think of the other three goals to be solghtly more genius, to have been more significant, and to be technically more irrepeatable. But it is such a fantastic goal.

Messi jan, I love weah and his goal and although it is a great run, it remains a run formost: the first two defenders are passed not in a fluid movement, he struggles, and then he passes solely one other defender and shoots the ball in without passing the keeper. Considering the moment and the opponent, it really cannot be classified as one of the best goals ever.

Siavash jan, I really don't think that Brazil's goal qualifies. It was a team effort, not a personal one, nothing was genius about it...and look at the tempo and pace...non-existent.In terms of team effort I like Argentina vs Serbia in 2006 a lot more. As for Messi's goal...a great goal..brilliant..but obviously not irrepeatable or unique. Maradona did it 20 years before on a more important stage and it was the winning goal too. So I'm sorry. As far as Azizi's goal is concerned, it is my personal all time favourite. But... you know.

Aug 26, 2005
And this one will pretty much never happen again:

LOL, the players, especially Kromkamp, are touching Gerrard to check again that he's human.

Waitttt....

This one too...both in extremely dire circumstances and strikes of unequaled power and accuracy. :D

Messi

IPL Player
Mar 14, 2007
The Figo goal against Engurland in Euro 2000 was very special...
will never for get that, i jumped 6 feet in the air when he scored that:

And a worthy mention, Shevchenko goal against Juventus in 2001....

was probably a fluke, but who fuckin cares