Breaking: Sir Alex retires

houmanbahal

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2005
LOOOOL! Hughes??????????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
haha, I know, they are talking about it but I can say 75% its Moyes which I don't think is a good choice, he has no European experience at all. what has he done in Everton for past 11 years!!! I want to see someone big, I don't mind Mou or Klopp.

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
Couldn't stand United but I always was secretly jealous of this man and the teams he built!
A remarkable man.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Wow, what a sad day for football. I never liked Man Untd but I have so much respect for the guy, he is a big miss not only for Man Untd and English football but it is the big miss for world football.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
It's a good story. A unique one, hard to replicate.

Not many people possess the drive to concentrate on only "one" thing all their life. Fergie had it. Most humans use success as a tool for self-growth and an excuse for laziness. Fergie did neither. He never aimed higher and he never got lazy. He just wanted to be Man U's manager regardless of what happened.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
what a coach, what a legacy.
He made Man u what it is today, really sad to see him go but I think his legacy will continue on.

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
looks like 99% its Moyes. ey khak va chok. :(
I think Moyes has done well in Everton considerring resources available to him. I think he will do fine in United. After all Sir Alex will still pull the string from behind the curtain until the successor is fully ready for the task.

Coach
Feb 7, 2004
With SAF no longer on the side-line, EPL has lost one of its biggest assets & attractions. In many part of the world EPL meant SAF.
As a life long Man-U fan I thank you sir Alex. Thank you for everything. Wish you health & long life.

Jul 28, 2007
To me SAF was not just a coach, he was a way of life. I owe him a lot. Believe it or not, before every exam, important appointments....recalling his image, his audacity, his passion, his optimism , his professionalism made me calmer, focused and energized to do my best. Like Man U, failure does not exist in my book. SAF started it all for me.
Sir, thank you for everything.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Certainly one if the greatest managers ever and the most important reason English teams recovered from the dent they suffered after several yeas of European ban following Brussels disaster. Always behaved normally and that is a lot for 19 years in that position. Sad day for football indeed.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I wonder if we will ever see long tenure like that anymore.

it seems like just as union jobs have gone away. tenured jobs have gone away as well.

Feb 22, 2005
Wow, nice seeing him on the United sideline will not be right. He was an outstanding character.

A prophet, much worthier and did far more, than the ones that are being followed.

I wonder if the timing was different, Guardiola would have ended there.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
Is it just me who finds it hard to see that Moyes replacing Ferguson isn't a good option?

I am sure Man Utd could easily tempt someone like Kloop away from Dortmund, or even someone young like Solsjkaer who could go on having a long term tenure identical to the one of Ferguson sounded exiting despite his inexperience.

mashdi

Football Legend
Sep 29, 2005

Sky Sports News reporting live now:

Everon FC has confirmed that manager David Moyes has met Club chairman and expressed his desire to leave Everton FC at the end of this season and join Manchester United FC.

Sky Sports reporter is at Old Trafford , Manchester waiting for a Manchester United statement.the pouring rain at Old Trafford is fantastic right now. :)

Looks like Man United will have another hard working and ambitious Glaswegian Scot as manager working alongside and with the support of Sir Alex & Sir Bobby Charlton.

houmanbahal

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2005
Done Deal, he is here for 6 Years. I don't know, let see how he does!!!

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1...david-moyes-replace-sir-alex-ferguson?cc=5901

David Moyes to replace Alex Ferguson

MANCHESTER, England -- Manchester United has hired David Moyes to replace Sir Alex Ferguson on a six-year deal. United said the 50-year-old Moyes will take charge from July 1 as Ferguson's reign of nearly 27 years at Old Trafford ends.

Earlier Thursday, Everton confirmed that Moyes would leave club at end of season and paved the way for Moyes' transition.

More on ESPN FC
The difference between David Moyes and Sir Alex amounts to more than just an addiction to gum chewing, writes Roger Bennett. Blog »
Meticulous David Moyes gets the chance of a lifetime, but he still has plenty to prove, writes Richard Jolly. Blog »

Photos: Ferguson's potential successors
Brewin: Career highs and lows
Jolly: Legendary winner
Carr: Ferguson by the numbers
Best quotes: "Football? Bloody hell!"
Best tweets: CR7: "Thanks for everything, Boss."

Everton posted the news on its club website Thursday: "The Manager met Chairman Bill Kenwright early yesterday evening (Wednesday 8th May) and confirmed his desire to join Manchester United."

On Wednesday Manchester United posted on its Facebook page the news that Moyes had been named manager at Old Trafford, but that announcement was removed moments later, according to Sky Sports News.

The Everton manager has never won a major trophy in his coaching career, but has long been championed by his fellow Scotsman at United.

And Moyes quickly emerged as the front-runner to assume one of the soccer's most coveted jobs within hours of the 71-year-old Ferguson announcing his retirement on Wednesday after nearly 27 trophy-filled years in charge at Old Trafford.

Moyes held talks late Wednesday about his future with Everton chairman Bill Kenwright, who did nothing to quash the expectation that his manager with be defecting across the northwest.

"David's contract is up in six weeks' time and he has the right to make his own decisions," Kenwright told Sky Sports television. "He has served this club wonderfully well."

The 50-year-old Moyes has shown loyalty and staying power in his 11 years with Everton -- attributes that should go down well at United, which is trying to maintain stability at the club and avoid any radical changes to the structure after Ferguson steps up to the boardroom when the season ends.

United chief executive David Gill has stressed the need to maintain the promotion of young talent without Ferguson's successor making wholesale changes to a squad that has just produced the club's 20th English title.

"In our two most successful eras -- with Sir Matt Busby (1945-1969) and then Sir Alex -- we had managers there who sort of got involved with the whole aspects of the club, whether it be from the youth team aspects, obviously up to the first team, all the aspects of it," Gill said.

"And that degree of loyalty ... is crucial to the success of Manchester United."

Ferguson has appeared to anoint Moyes, a three-time manager of the year, as his successor, impressed by Moyes' grittiness and determination.

Moyes made the transition into management at Preston North End in 1998 and gained promotion to the League Championship two years later.

The former Celtic player moved to Everton in 2002 and turned the Merseyside club from a relegation contender into a regular qualifier for Europe. In 2005, he even guided the club into the qualifying rounds of the Champions League.

Ferociously ambitious with a keen eye for emerging talent like Ferguson, Moyes has maintained Everton as a force near the top of the Premier League despite struggling with a lack of cash to invest in players.

That's why, according to Ferguson, Moyes should not be judged on his inability to turn Everton into a force in England or Europe.

"David has had to contend with not having a strong financial structure," Ferguson said last year. "He has to get the best out of the players he has had available."

Ferguson has provided a source of inspiration to Moyes as he has held out for a job where the resources match his ambitions.

"I look upon Sir Alex, I suppose, as a role model, but mainly I look at him and wonder, 'How can you have stayed in this job so long?'" Moyes has said.

The simple task for Ferguson's successor, according to former United captain Gary Neville, is to "play attractive football, bring young players through and win a championship."

As such, Neville believes the potential hiring of Moyes as United's 20th manager "makes sense."

"They want someone to respect the history and tradition of the club, someone who is there for the long term," Neville said. "The club does not go for quick-fixes."

But Wall Street investors could be spooked by the appointment of Moyes, whose modest achievements contrast with those of Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho, who was linked with the United job but has long been a lightning rod for controversy.

News of Ferguson's retirement alone was greeted by United shares dropping more than 5 percent in early trading on the New York Stock Exchange, but the losses were clawed back quickly. The shares closed at $18.44, down 1.8 percent.

Before United was listed on the NYSE last year, the club warned that Ferguson's successor "may not be as successful as our current manager" and could "adversely affect our ability to attract and retain coaches and players."

It won't take long for United to discover if that is the case.

Even before Ferguson announced his retirement plans, striker Wayne Rooney told the manager in recent weeks that he wanted to seek a fresh challenge away from the club, a person familiar with the situation said. The person spoke on condition of anonymity to confirm British media reports because he was not authorized to discuss the talks publicly.

If the 27-year-old Rooney was to stay at United he is likely to be reunited with Moyes for the first time since his acrimonious departure from Everton in 2004.

Rooney's United future has been clouded in uncertainty since Robin van Persie was signed from Arsenal last year, and he was left out of the starting lineup for the second leg of the Champions League loss to Real Madrid in March.

But with two years remaining on the player's contract, United issued a statement late Wednesday to stress: "Rooney is not for sale."

The truth of that statement should begin to become apparent when United begins life without Ferguson with a preseason tour of Asia and Australia in July.