Canada closes embassy in Iran and expels Iranian diplomats

Feb 22, 2005
Keyvan_pars, you are right and they took so long. The murderous Muslim regime of Iran got away with way too much even killing the canadian Iranian journalist in cold blood through horrible torture and got away with it. No Iranian diplomat nor any government officials should be allowed outside of Iran.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
IRR got a bid of boost for minimizing its tarnished image in international arena through the last NAM conference in Tehran. This action by Canada is designed to nullify that boost.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
IRR got a bid of boost for minimizing its tarnished image in international arena through the last NAM conference in Tehran. This action by Canada is designed to nullify that boost.
And how exactly did they get a boost from NAM? They closed down a city of 10 million for a meeting, got spat on their face in their own country, and had to censor the speeches. Where was the boost?

No this is a government going for PR with no regard for what happens to people. This is what happens when beauty pageants become porte paroles.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
To our Canadian friends: how does this action affect you?
Both Iran and Canada probably will determine a third country for passport related matters.

Personally think that the action of the Canadian government is a correct one ...

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I don't see any relation whatsoever ... Iran is completely isolated in the world and US probably pushed Canada to further make Iran isolated ...
NAM conference was a diaster for Iran ...

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
The way I see it - the 30 years old flow of Iranian money from Iran to Canada has shrinked significantly - so the Canadians closed shop. I wonder if the Visa requirements for Iranians will change!!? Thos of you living in Canada watch out your assets and bank accounts - especially if you deal with British banks such as HSBC....
But at the same time the fact that much of the flow of IR Sandis to north American Sandis khors would be cut - almost makes it all worth while!!! lol

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
I think this action at this time is ill planned and executed. The relation should be terminated on a basis that doesn't put Canadian government in a position that shows them as irrational and a puppet. The relation should have been halted after 2009 uprising or after UK embassy attack immediately but at this particular moment it just does not have enough background to do so.

The minister's comments in Russia was also vague and not concrete. If the relation is being severed because of safety of diplomats then after the UK embassy shameful raid it should have been terminated. If it is because of security council resolutions and Iran ignoring them then the common sense says the same should be done to Israel. If it is because of Human rights ... the n after 2009 uprising it should have been severed.

I as a Canadian, believe Canada should not go unilaterally in this path and stand out as a bully nation or a nation who is irrational. The better approach was to have G-8 or the whole west severe ties with the regime and Canada among them.

This act of our foreign minister is irrational at this point and would not do Canada any good. Unfortunately unlike many might think it will not tarnish the regimes image either. In my opinion it actually boosts it and puts Canada along with USA as a puppet regime and we don't want that. Canada should have taken the initiative at its time and better so with her allies in the west and east.

The world needs to take the soft power out of the regimes hand internally and externally and any irrational move by the world just play into the hand s of the Islamic Regime of Iran. The Arab uprising was a wise attempt to take that out externally in the region. A good plan that is turning bad with terrorists blending in Syria with the freedom fighters and having Saudi Arabia and Qatar pioneering it. The internal soft power only comes when we take people side and give them power and this action of Canada serves no one except the extremist in both side.

The only rational answer to this is if a strike is near and if Canada knows more than the media knows which we will see. I personally want more pressure on regime for positive change but do not support this act at this time without near pretext.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I think this action at this time is ill planned and executed. The relation should be terminated on a basis that doesn't put Canadian government in a position that shows them as irrational and a puppet. The relation should have been halted after 2009 uprising or after UK embassy attack immediately but at this particular moment it just does not have enough background to do so.

The minister's comments in Russia was also vague and not concrete. If the relation is being severed because of safety of diplomats then after the UK embassy shameful raid it should have been terminated. If it is because of security council resolutions and Iran ignoring them then the common sense says the same should be done to Israel. If it is because of Human rights ... the n after 2009 uprising it should have been severed.

I as a Canadian, believe Canada should not go unilaterally in this path and stand out as a bully nation or a nation who is irrational. The better approach was to have G-8 or the whole west severe ties with the regime and Canada among them.

This act of our foreign minister is irrational at this point and would not do Canada any good. Unfortunately unlike many might think it will not tarnish the regimes image either. In my opinion it actually boosts it and puts Canada along with USA as a puppet regime and we don't want that. Canada should have taken the initiative at its time and better so with her allies in the west and east.

The world needs to take the soft power out of the regimes hand internally and externally and any irrational move by the world just play into the hand s of the Islamic Regime of Iran. The Arab uprising was a wise attempt to take that out externally in the region. A good plan that is turning bad with terrorists blending in Syria with the freedom fighters and having Saudi Arabia and Qatar pioneering it. The internal soft power only comes when we take people side and give them power and this action of Canada serves no one except the extremist in both side.

The only rational answer to this is if a strike is near and if Canada knows more than the media knows which we will see. I personally want more pressure on regime for positive change but do not support this act at this time without near pretext.
You are questioning the timing of this action, sure you might be right ... but the action itself reflects the action of all the western countries ... USA and Europe as well as Japan and Korea (the allies) are putting pressure on Iran ... So from point of view of Canada, is it more important to follow their leads ... Both Obama and UK representatives have declared more pressure on Iran in the last couple of day ... Canada doesn't have any other option to follow the lead of its allies

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
The way I see it - the 30 years old flow of Iranian money from Iran to Canada has shrinked significantly - so the Canadians closed shop. I wonder if the Visa requirements for Iranians will change!!? Thos of you living in Canada watch out your assets and bank accounts - especially if you deal with British banks such as HSBC....
But at the same time the fact that much of the flow of IR Sandis to north American Sandis khors would be cut - almost makes it all worth while!!! lol
And why would this happen? The sandiskhors can't fly to UAE and get their visas and green cards? No sandis on Iranair?

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
You are questioning the timing of this action, sure you might be right ... but the action itself reflects the action of all the western countries ... USA and Europe as well as Japan and Korea (the allies) are putting pressure on Iran ... So from point of view of Canada, is it more important to follow their leads ... Both Obama and UK representatives have declared more pressure on Iran in the last couple of day ... Canada doesn't have any other option to follow the lead of its allies
In this case it seems Canada has gone one step or even more step ahead of her allies! I believe they should all walk with synchronized steps to achieve better result.

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
One thing that also affects me is my old Mother now can not get SuperVisa to Canada as easy as before. Probably now she needs to travel to Turkey which is very hard for her :(

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
It's not really about timing which was ridiculous. The point is these types of actions are counterproductive and they only hurt people, not the regime nor their supporters. Isolating totalitarian regimes has failed throughout modern history. It failed in Iraq, Syria, Libya, North Korea, Cuba, everywhere. Isolation always hurts people more than it hurts the regime, therefore it effectively strengthens a dictatorial regime's control over its people. It could weaken the regime, but it will strengthen the regime's hold on power.