Canada closes embassy in Iran and expels Iranian diplomats

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
My statement said boost "In international arena", as the main purpose of hosting was for not for internal consumption.

Either way a Gov. that was supposed to be isulated just managed to gather over 100 world leaders and their high ranking officials all under one roof. If IRR didn't think it will recieve some advatage from the conference they wouldn't go through such havoc and expenses at all. They could easily refuse and let another nation host it.
This guy (in the video) thinks the same as you. I don't know maybe you're right but that makes it even a more ridiculous reason to do what Canada did:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/09/08/iran-canada-response.html

Nader Hashemi, a Canadian political scientist who is director of the Centre of Middle East Studies at the University of Denver, said Ottawa's actions could be traced to an event held in Iran a week ago: a meeting of non-aligned states.
"There was a lot of political lobbying by Israel and the U.S. for many of the countries not to attend, but just about all of them did," Hashemi said in a Saturday interview on CBC News Network. "I suspect someone from the government of Israel called the Harper government to say 'Look, we need some backup here.'"

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
May I just remind you who the auther of the article is. An arab sympathizer. Being an Iranian I would prefer Israel rule over the world than Arabs.
It's not just him, every political analyst is surprised at this decision. See:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comm...just-shot-ourself-in-the-foot/article4527936/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/09/08/f-iran-canada-diplomatic-relations.html

The only half-baked rationalization is safety of diplomatic personnel but then this:

In an interview Saturday on CBC Radio's The House, Baird emphasized his "concern was for the safety of the men and women working at the Canadian mission," but when asked by host Evan Solomon whether there was "something specific" he conceded there was "not a direct threat" or an increased security risk.

And you have to remember this too:

Libya’s embassy in Ottawa was more menacing than Iran’s has ever been – it employed goons in Moammar Gadhafi’s intelligence agency to infiltrate visiting students, follow them daily, and sometimes threaten to kill their families.

Even after Libyan embassies in other countries had fallen to anti-Gadhafi rebels last year, the Ottawa mission remained firmly loyal to the dictator. Yet, Prime Minister Stephen Harper didn’t order it closed until August of 2011, after Canada and its NATO partners had been at war with Libya for months. Up to that point, it made sense to maintain the embassy: It was a vital channel to the regime.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
I guess to them keeping the Jewish Canadians happy is worth making a huge inconvenience for the Iranian Canadians.
The thing is it's not from a purely political point of view. Jewish population in Canada is smaller than Arab population and way smaller than Muslim's. The growth rate of the former is dwarfed by that of the latter. From a campaign point of view it makes no sense for the Canadian government to maintain such slavish relationship with Israel. It really seems to be ideological.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
You have obviously haven't walked the streets of Tehran recently. There is NO sense of impending unrest. LA TVs have lost their luster. I did not a see a SINGLE pasdar anywhere. The regime is supremely confident. And the people? Their biggest worry seems to be how long the wait is to get to the top of Borjeh Milad.
Or you have walked in a parallel universe Tehran! You don't see Pasdar because they have special units, many forms of them, specifically made for crowd control. For god's sake, for the third year in a row they were scared to even have Fetr prayer in Mosalla that they so dearly cherish because they think it's more difficult to control crowds there.

May 12, 2007
It's not just him, every political analyst is surprised at this decision. See:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/comm...just-shot-ourself-in-the-foot/article4527936/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/09/08/f-iran-canada-diplomatic-relations.html

The only half-baked rationalization is safety of diplomatic personnel but then this:

In an interview Saturday on CBC Radio's The House, Baird emphasized his "concern was for the safety of the men and women working at the Canadian mission," but when asked by host Evan Solomon whether there was "something specific" he conceded there was "not a direct threat" or an increased security risk.

And you have to remember this too:

Libya’s embassy in Ottawa was more menacing than Iran’s has ever been – it employed goons in Moammar Gadhafi’s intelligence agency to infiltrate visiting students, follow them daily, and sometimes threaten to kill their families.

Even after Libyan embassies in other countries had fallen to anti-Gadhafi rebels last year, the Ottawa mission remained firmly loyal to the dictator. Yet, Prime Minister Stephen Harper didn’t order it closed until August of 2011, after Canada and its NATO partners had been at war with Libya for months. Up to that point, it made sense to maintain the embassy: It was a vital channel to the regime.
I do agree with Hashemi that Canada could have talked about political prisoners including Mosavi to be the reason behind this infact I wouldn't be suprize if this is one of the best reasons many Canadian Iranians are in prison now and that has given the embassy problems but I disagree that someone from Israel has called Canada and asked them to do this. Israel has not so much affect on Canada either!

Last edited:

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
I do agree with Hashemi that Canada could have talked about political prisoners including Mosavi but I disagree that some onefrom Israel
has called Canada and asked them to do this.
Israel has not so much affect on Canada either!
I don't think he meant that literally, I think he was being sarcastic.

Israel has more influence on Canada than any other country in the world. There is a reason that Canada is considered the most pro-Israel country in the world.

May 12, 2007
I don't think he meant that literally, I think he was being sarcastic.

Israel has more influence on Canada than any other country in the world. There is a reason that Canada is considered the most pro-Israel country in the world.
What do you think Israel will gain from this? Unless Israel have called and said we are going to attack Iran I can't see why they should call Canada(arguable Israels best friend) and ask them to move out of Iran. If the teori is right then many countries will follow this step.

May 12, 2007
idont know if u have ever watched sun news or even live in canada. but, Sun news is equivalent to Fox news.
Su ur link dosent really prove anything.
No I have not. But is it true that many activists have asked for cutting relationship with Iran?

May 12, 2007
you mean Canadas Defence Ministers wife?
She for sure has a "fair"&"balance" view. Not!
The video says she thinks they shouls kick iranians out the ambassy. To me this is a better reason that Israel have asked for it!

Last edited:

payan

Captain
Dec 12, 2002
usa
proud of sayeh khanoom .
i think you guys are doing more than what a nation expect from you .take care of your life and family as well.
however, i can't figured out the act of governments, i stil don't know what was the reason behind that clsoing that embassy .there are so many iranian-canadians need contact through both embassies activities .i hope that won't make the lives of the people more difficults as it is now .

May 12, 2007
proud of sayeh khanoom .
i think you guys are doing more than what a nation expect from you .take care of your life and family as well.
however, i can't figured out the act of governments, i stil don't know what was the reason behind that clsoing that embassy .there are so many iranian-canadians need contact through both embassies activities .i hope that won't make the lives of the people more difficults as it is now .
I hope this is my last post tonight. I am interested since my relative lives in Canada. But
"Isn't it better to stay in Canada if you may be arrested in tehran and Canadian government can't to anything about it?" There already several Canadian/Iranian in Iran's prisons and IRI don't release them. The forignin minister complains why Iran does not obey the vien conventions.
So my senses say this is the real reason.