Carlos Queiroz the mastermind Chess player

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
Egypt had a comeback and won the match against Morocco 2-1 tonight. The Egyptian side will be facing Cameroon in the semifinal.
That was the second encounter between CQ and quite a few of these Moroccan players after the 2018 Iran-Morocco match in Russia.

Oct 18, 2010
hope to see iran & egypt in the same group in qatar.
of course egypt needs to qualify first.
but i want to see if the 'matsermind' can park his bus
in front of taremi & azmoun and not get a couple of flat tires :ROFLMAO:

Shahram

Elite Member
Oct 21, 2002
hope to see iran & egypt in the same group in qatar.
of course egypt needs to qualify first.
but i want to see if the 'matsermind' can park his bus
in front of taremi & azmoun and not get a couple of flat tires :ROFLMAO:
To be fair, this Egyptian side has not been parking the bus in this tournament at all.

Last edited:

Tehol Bedict

Aug 6, 2021
Helvetia 🇨🇭
To be fair, this Egyptian side has not been parking the bus in this tournament at at all.
This whole "parking the bus" thing is still odd. They are talking about three world cup games in 2014 and 2018 where we played Argentina, Spain and Portugal and got 1-0, 0-1 and 1-1.

I think they prefer we go and play tacticless attacking football with one overweight young defensive midfielder and defenders who haven't seen competitive football, and lose 8-0 or 10-0. TM made fans hugely proud in both world cups, these guys want Saudi style performances and results...

Last edited:

HalaMadrid

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
I think they prefer we go and play tacticless attacking football with one overweight young defensive midfielder and defenders who haven't seen competitive football, and lose 8-0 or 10-0. TM made fans hugely proud in both world cups, these guys want Saudi style performances and results...
I am not going to speak for others, however my expectation of him was to achieve something MORE, take "1" step forward, Get out of our group in WC or make it to the Asian Cup Final (not even win it).

Tehol Bedict

Aug 6, 2021
Helvetia 🇨🇭
I am not going to speak for others, however my expectation of him was to achieve something MORE, take "1" step forward, Get out of our group in WC or make it to the Asian Cup Final (not even win it).
Well respect for your optimism (especially in the context of IR and Iranian football problems)
! I can only speak for myself alone and just felt that building something for the future takes time especially after the disastrous 2006-2012 period.

I hoped for us to get to next round but am still amazed with what he built for the future and how disciplined we generally were for the first time in my recollection.

I guess we just have different levels of expectation / realism. No worries about that

uhl

Jun 20, 2021
Well respect for your optimism (especially in the context of IR and Iranian football problems)
! I can only speak for myself alone and just felt that building something for the future takes time especially after the disastrous 2006-2012 period.

I hoped for us to get to next round but am still amazed with what he built for the future and how disciplined we generally were for the first time in my recollection.

I guess we just have different levels of expectation / realism. No worries about that
What the federation and the media sold us at the beginning was that CQ was going to take our football above Asian standards and make it reach its true potential like our Futsal.

It simply didn’t happen (If you’re confused about that you can refer back to the Asian Cups to refresh you memory).

Now people can move the goal post if they wish but such a massive investment in an expensive coach should’ve instead been used to fix our football infrastructure and develop academies so our league could become a factory of discovering and developing young players. That’s how you move to the next level. You build from the ground up (not the other way around). That’s how football works.

If there is any lesson to be learned from this qualification cycle it’s that we can qualify to the World Cup with a $200k/year manager and then use the World Cup reward money to invest back into our football (Infrastructure+academies+youth leagues etc...)

This year FIFA is giving $12m for World Cup qualification and AFC is giving $4m. That’s $16m that can help our football a great deal if invested correctly and in the right areas.

But if it’s going to be like the Kafashian/Taj days of finding every possible way to pocket as much of that money through backroom deals with expensive managers then nothing is going to change.

Btw this is not a criticism towards CQ. I’m just pointing out that the federation and the media sold us a bunch of BS. So CQ fans please don't attack me.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
What the federation and the media sold us at the beginning was that CQ was going to take our football above Asian standards and make it reach its true potential like our Futsal.

It simply didn’t happen (If you’re confused about that you can refer back to the Asian Cups to refresh you memory).

Now people can move the goal post if they wish but such a massive investment in an expensive coach should’ve instead been used to fix our football infrastructure and develop academies so our league could become a factory of discovering and developing young players. That’s how you move to the next level. You build from the ground up (not the other way around). That’s how football works.

If there is any lesson to be learned from this qualification cycle it’s that we can qualify to the World Cup with a $200k/year manager and then use the World Cup reward money to invest back into our football (Infrastructure+academies+youth leagues etc...)

This year FIFA is giving $12m for World Cup qualification and AFC is giving $4m. That’s $16m that can help our football a great deal if invested correctly and in the right areas.

But if it’s going to be like the Kafashian/Taj days of finding every possible way to pocket as much of that money through backroom deals with expensive managers then nothing is going to change.

Btw this is not a criticism towards CQ. I’m just pointing out that the federation and the media sold us a bunch of BS. So CQ fans please don't attack me.
1 cent of that 16 million won't go to anything. That is a guarantee.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Please name one coach who would be able to do what CQ was promised to do without investing in infrastructure and other stuff you mentioned?

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Its funny how some complain about CQ but have no idea how football building works and why Iran is where it is today which is only because of CQ. Progress in football takes time. It take investments and an open hand. CQ had none of these and still managed to built a formidable side which is now competing at the best level. His critics are just doing that out of spite or not understanding football. The guy had heart, passion, love, and was thought under some of the best ever. He was super accomplished and his record speaks for itself. Its very sad to see some hoping he would fail in other places just because of jealousy or other motives they have. Egypt is missing some key players, their top 2 goalies got injured and they still managed to make it to the semi finals of the African cup. I truly hope they go all the way and win it.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Please name one coach who would be able to do what CQ was promised to do without investing in infrastructure and other stuff you mentioned?
You can not get an answer from the likes of him. Its just talk with no substance or true understanding of the game. If a logical and respectable analogy was put forth then it would be worth the argument. Its like talking with Mollah Nasredin. These replies are just empty with nothing worthy to discuss or even understand.