Challenge vs. Implication (A case for coach change in my opinion)

Oct 18, 2002
Doostan,

My profession for the past 32 years has been sales. I have found that a lot of life issues can be explained plainly with basic sales concepts and often reduce a semi complex issue from many shades of gray to simple black and white. This is how I view the current dilemma that has gripped the TM once again as we embark on the greatest stage in Football.
I have tried to keep emotions and feelings (i.e., sense of loyalty, popularity and nostalgia) out of the equations, instead concentrate solely on cause and effect. Below are my take on current situation surrounding TM and would love to hear yours:

Challenge
-Experience and leadership

-Decision making at IFF
-On the pitch experience
-Scheme
-Preparation

On every single aspect EVERY entity surrounding TM is an utter failure in my opinion. I start one by one and keep it short cause I think we all can read between the lines:

Experience and Leadership: From a TM fan who has followed and watched this team since 1974 this has always been (other than a few short lived high moments) our main Achilles heel. I don't think we need to dwell in this topic much more but let's say we get at best a 'F' grade here
Decision making at IFF: Well this a copy paste from the above. The issues are obvious to all. The lack of oversight and the vast influence of the football mafia in our football is unfortunately an issue that WILL NOT be addressed for this WC campaign nor anytime in the future (barring an absolute miracle which is tied to a complete regime change).
-On the pitch experience: Probably the only item we can have a short term remedy. The current coach and staff (I love them for getting us here and appreciate the dire situation they salvage us from) but in all earnest are not qualified to lead a WC campaign. They are just NOT.
-Scheme: Again heavily tied to the above, but scheme for sake of scheme is useless unless you have the pedigree and prestige to enforce the system within the team. Our current scheme is not suitable against the teams we are going to face and I am afraid we are doomed before we take the pitch. (side note I am being very generous when I say current scheme cause I really don't know what our identity is. But lets leave that to the side)
-Preparation: Probably the one item that is the dependent on all the above. We know IFF (as a typical IRI entity) is reactionary and makes adhoc decision solely based on short term objectives. So if you think they are going to plan or have a plan, you are sorely mistaken. In addition, they simply have NO CLOUT whatsoever internationally to get anything done.

OK so we outline some of the many issues. I don't think I need to spell out the individual implications of the above and can summarize it by saying all road point to a absolute disaster showing in WC.

So we need to look at this from a practical point of view. The simplest and only viable option is to bring on a new staff that has the experience, prestige and clout to prepare us in the remaining few months. None of the bigger IFF related competency or lack thereof will be fixed and worst we don't have any control over that what so ever.
Only a coach that is familiar with our system, players and IFF is able to fix this issue and the list if basically two people. Branco and Queiroz. That is IT.
I for one vote for Queiroz because he has a system that is defensive and relies on counter attacks, set pieces and opportunistic chances. Against a strong team like England this is our best course of action, same with Welsh team and the young and relatively inexperience US team.
Anyway, I know it is far fetched, controversial and most likely not a realistic scenario, but if it happens I believe we could have a much better showing. Remember this is practically the team that Queiroz built and no one can salvage it better than him.

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
Question is will Carlos Queiroz even consider coming back to TM considering his understanding of the shambolic state of IFF and Iran's football in general? will he risk his reputation for such a nearly impossible mission?

Tehol Bedict

Aug 6, 2021
Helvetia 🇨🇭
Question is will Carlos Queiroz even consider coming back to TM considering his understanding of the shambolic state of IFF and Iran's football in general? will he risk his reputation for such a nearly impossible mission?

I think he would...

I don't think Iranian powers would want him back though... He was the opposite of a Yes man

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
I think he would...

I don't think Iranian powers would want him back though... He was the opposite of a Yes man
Well , don't you think CQ knows this too and would not even consider getting involved in a hostile and messy situation leading to possible disaster in WC and hence risking his reputation. he must surely know the chaotic state of IFF and the poor state of TM preparation with very little time to improve TM condition to avoid disaster against clearly much better and more prepared oppositions in England,USA & Wales.

Tehol Bedict

Aug 6, 2021
Helvetia 🇨🇭
Well , don't you think CQ knows this too and would not even consider getting involved in a hostile and messy situation leading to possible disaster in WC and hence risking his reputation. he must surely know the chaotic state of IFF and the poor state of TM preparation with very little time to improve TM condition to avoid disaster against clearly much better and more prepared oppositions in England,USA & Wales.
Sorry i wasn't clear...

I think he definitely can change TM in time - let's not forget the mess that England are in, Wales also bottom of their nations league group. Both these teams, and their coaching staff, are in much more precarious positions than they were just a couple of months ago...

Queiroz knows these players, he has time to come in. Ivic changed things in such little time in 1998. Queiroz is an experienced coach who can finish his own project.

My thought is that the iranian powers don't want him back because the chance of qualifying to second round is higher with him. I think the risk of political rupture in Iran after the joy of finally reaching a WC second round is higher than the kudos of beating the "satans". There is no chance they want hejabs off in the street, men and women dancing all night and what that can lead to in the context of current economic situation....

Last edited:

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
Again , my question is will Carlos Queiroz even consider coming back to TM considering his understanding of the shambolic state of IFF and Iran's football in general? will he risk his reputation?

You think (and wish) CQ would consider coming back to TM. I seriously doubt he is entertaining this idea. I think he is done with TM for this WC. too many obstacles leading to too much risk to tarnish his reputation.

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
If any of you guys are under the illusion than TM can beat any of those teams in our group, you are out of your minds, regardless of who our coach is. The level of football played in Europe is so much above TM that even under the best of circumstances, with the best generational talents at our disposal, we would still be underdogs, at best. I would love to be an optimist and believe that a coaching change or some better preparation would make us more competitive but unfortunately, that is not the case. It takes decades to reach those levels and we are far far away from that.
Turkey, with all its professional teams, coaches, international players and so on, playing against the best European teams year after year, don't stand a chance in Europe and get blown away time and time again. Yet, you are discussing CQ to be our savior less than 5 months before the WC?
Stop the madness. The goal was to qualify for the WC. There will be at best, 2 losses and a draw, and that is in my opinion a success. We haven't played a decent opponent for years. Our players are at best second rated B team bench warmers at second rated B team European or Arab leagues. We don't have organization, friendlies, funding, talent nor a style that we can even call modern football, yet you guys are fighting over coach selection, as if that would miraculously make us a contender against well-prepared, well-organized- well-coached, modern footballers at the world stage?
Just sit back and enjoy the fact that we are watching TM in the WC and don't hold any hopes high. This is our 5th appearance and it won't be much different than the last 4.