Changes to Global News Forum {Open for Discussion}

ISP Moderator

Football Fan
Oct 30, 2009
Dear All,

We would like to bring to your attention the following changes effective immediately to the “Global News” forums.

1- We will have a new thread every month called “Moderation” thread, in this thread members are encouraged to post links to offensive, insulting, trolling and double identity etc... Each link is then viewed by ISP moderators and appropriate action is taken. THIS IS NOT DISCUSSION THREAD, ANY DISCUSSION WILL BE REMOVED. ONLY REPORT LINKS OF WHERE YOU FEEL ISP RULES ARE BROKEN. This thread is viewed by all. If you would like your identity to remain hidden, you can use the Q&A forum to post your links. This should give everyone a chance to report and a clear database to maintain if a certain user is breaking ISP rules. PLEASE we ask of you especially in regards to multi usernames, only report once and when we looked into it drop it from further discussions or every thread will turn into so and so user has multi username. There is no solid way to prove if the user does or doesn’t have multi username, once the ID is reported we will do all the checks possible (not only IP check, but Login times, how they access the forums, IP vs. known proxies, Post times and some more) if none match we cannot take any action and at that point we ask all members to please stop accusing the individual and get on with the posts. Please use the thread wisely and give us 24 hours to attend the matter.*Please report only posts made on and after Nov,2nd 2009*

2 - If someone is trolling, or trying to change the direction of the thread, please let us know (by posting in the thread, so #1 above). Anyone found to be spamming a thread or trolling, will receive a warning. But you must tell us, otherwise we might miss it.

3- To stop spamming / users posting with multi usernames, new users must make a minimum of 200 posts BEFORE they can post in the Global News forum. This should solve many of the spamming problems.

4- If you feel a member is provoking you, we encourage you use the IGNORE LIST function, if you feel he is breaking ISP rules please refer to point #1.

5- We request from you to respect one another regardless of how you feel towards other members ideas; please try to self moderate by not insulting and keeping the discussions clean.

6- ALL members who have received a ban previously are now unbanned. Everyone gets a fresh start from this point. Let this be a new beginning for Global News forum and hopefully no one will need to get banned. If your ID is still banned please do drop us a line and we will take care of it. As mentioned no user (Regardless of what happened in the past) should be banned at this point.

7- We will review our decision in 1 - 2 weeks time. If members continue to insult each other and continue to have fights, we will close down the "Global New Forum". We are primarily a sport site and we dont want to lose members because arguments about politics. So please use the forum appropriately, and dont turn it in to a place to have arguments, and fights.

We truly appreciate your cooperation in helping us keeping the forums clean of insults, racism and spamming, where every user has equal right to post their views and opinion.

ISP Team

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
Can I suggest, when banning, try to be very specific?

I was banned before this. But I am still not sure why? I see frequently people use characters like %&^$& to convery a swear word and I did that. I also used words and phrases like دارالمجانین and ص very indirectly refering to someone. My signature quotes a post by one of highly regarded members. All I was told in their original message was inappropriate language! I do not know which one of my words were inappropriate? :(

I am really baffled what caused my ban and all I could do was "one" private message to admin with no response at all. I know you are busy but when taking a decision like a ban, at least leave some avenue for the person to contact back or seek explanation. It was just pure luck that this change came on now or else I had to wait until 18th of November for a simple query like this.

Jun 18, 2005
I also agree with Refree,

I think there needs to be a specific basis for banning someone and if you are vague then that could cause some confusion.

If this is truly going to be a fresh start that respects the opinions of the majority of members on this site then I welcome the change.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
FI jaan, our goal is to respect the opinion of EVERYONE on the site, not only majority, we have created the moderation thread so users will us moderate by proving us link, when you say user X is a troll thats not going to help anyone, post the link in forum saying user X is a troll because of the following link.
we ask everyone to put the past behind, and look at this as a fresh start.

We truly thank you for your cooperation.

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
The_Referee: lets leave the past behind , no use talk about it, its a fresh start for everyone, but just a FYI Q&A forum is the best method to contact us, and is open to ALL members including banned members.
Pooya Jaan,

My concern is not the past, it is the future. I want to know what is and what is not allowed and I think it is important for anyone who is banned from now on to know. That is why I am suggesting to be specific when banning and leave an open avenue for the person to find out (preferably right away - putting someone in jail without telling him what he is accused of is a torture).

Checking back my last posts, I see one is deleted including one with a swear word disguised in $^%#@ characters. Is that it?

[ame="http://forums.iransportspress.com/showthread.php?p=722859#post722859"]Millions Welcome AN in Mashad! - Warning Might Cause too much excitement! - Community - IranSportsPress.com[/ame]

If everyone knows that using %&^% does not constitute politeness, be it, I won't use it anymore. Also what about words which are arguably swear words, like صرتخ، پررو etc. I was banned once for it (perhaps - I am not sure) but I do not see them inappropriate but if they are offensive and should not be used, we should know, right?

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
Pooya Jaan,
Are you sure FYI Q&A forum is open when you are banned?
I could only post "one" private message last time and could not even alter my User CP, my signature or anything when banned.
Is this a new change?

Agha Shojaa

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2002
Canada
I don't want to sound negative but this brings nothing new. The main problem is still there. People with an agenda should not have a place here and that's all the entire community is asking. I won't say what and what not as it has been said 1000 times.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
I don't want to sound negative but this brings nothing new. The main problem is still there. People with an agenda should not have a place here and that's all the entire community is asking. I won't say what and what not as it has been said 1000 times.
i 100% agree with you and so does the rest of ISP Team, that is why when you see someone with agenda, post the link and i personally assure you they will be dealt with. you can count on us on this one.

Agha Shojaa

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2002
Canada
edited by myself.

Thanks for your reply agha Pooya. Can you please edit your post. I would like to have my post quoted in your reply be edited.

Last edited:

spanx

Bench Warmer
Dec 19, 2005
lol shanseh maneh, my ban expired today after a month and I was gonna give it to you guys but now all of a sudden it's all John Lennon mood ...

Fine, I'm willing to see how this new system works, but you guys should really be more appreciative of your members, I don't care about getting banned myself, it was a relief to be honest ... but you can't just go around handing out sentences to people who contribute to YOUR site, which helps YOUR economic bottom line one way or another ...

I guess one suggestion I would have would be to add a [REPORT] button under every post that would link it to either your monthly report thread or ISP email ...

Other than that I'd like to apologize to IranZamin if I was ever disrespectful in my previous posts. I felt like you were not entitled to criticize the forum when you don't contribute otherwise ... but now I understand where you were coming from.

peace.

Jun 7, 2004
I actually consider this a very large improvement. For example, this is the first time that trolling has been specifically addressed. I suggest the wiki definition for trolling is used. Another significant improvement is the 200 post minimum before getting permission to post in this one. This will make it quite a bit more difficult for the resident troll and friends to troll at will and it will make it that much easier to identify a troll. It is also a good idea to have a thread to hear the communities complaints and suggestions on specific users or in general.

This may not be a perfect solution but it is a significant improvement. Just have to give it a try and see. And it will never be perfect but it is possible to improve. So, speaking for my own self, I say thank you. Thank you for the good of the past and thank you for changing course and trying to improve.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
FP: we thank you for respecting the forum and posting here. and appreciate the feedback. hopefully with the changes and respect for each other we should see a improved ISP. we know we are not perfect but we like to try to get there.

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN
Friends, this is the most/all we could do. Right now the key is also/mainly about self moderation. This is the one thing we could do/tried to do to stop trolling. We could have set up rules on how a post/discussion should be in global news forum, but that would have made things a bit difficult.
Trolls will never stop to be trolls, so if the troll keeps on trolling, then just report it. In case you are wondering, one very thankful troll who everyone knows has been banned for some time now because he got caught.
We know the letter, but still...you see anyone trolling, just report it and it should be dealt with.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
I appreciate the effort and hope that this fresh start brings the old dynamics and members back. I am not that optimistic though because I don't see any significant change, neither in policies nor in procedures.

Pooya keeps saying that let's forget the past. That is the problem: you shouldn't forget the past. The trolling we talk about is not about now, it has a history. You cannot detach it from the past and still see the trolling. If anybody joined the site today, they would think GP is a reasonable poster. But those who have been around know differently because they remember his posts on hezb-e mehr or pedophilia, etc, so they realize that what he's posting is not his opinion and that he's just trolling.

I also don't really see the changes as moving towards self-moderation. Self-moderation would be to appoint a team of participating members as moderators or assistant moderators to decide, among other things, who is or isn't a troll.