Computer hardware (RAM) question

Aug 26, 2005
For those who are better informed than me; I wanted to ask whether uneven RAM makes much of a difference? I've upgraded my Late-2011 Macbook Pro from the default 2x2gb ram to 1x8gb+1x2gb (10gb) ram and wanted to know if this is worse than having just 2x4gb ram? One is also the stock RAM (Samsung) that came with it and the new one is Corsair brand; does that matter also?

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
well that is not a recommended configuration. but I have done on a PC and it has not caused any issues.
I would just stick with 8GB Stick.

but if they are the same speed normally that's the most important thing.

what I do is I always pay extra for RAM certified for my Mother board so i would not see random crashes.

I heard there is a expensive site for Macs that charges 2* the average price of RAM to identity the certified RAM for Mac Motherboards. based on the serial and model number of the MAC.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
For those who are better informed than me; I wanted to ask whether uneven RAM makes much of a difference? I've upgraded my Late-2011 Macbook Pro from the default 2x2gb ram to 1x8gb+1x2gb (10gb) ram and wanted to know if this is worse than having just 2x4gb ram? One is also the stock RAM (Samsung) that came with it and the new one is Corsair brand; does that matter also?
Since the bandwidth is divided between the modules, if the memories are not equal, interleaving won't be possible. Also the motherboard runs with the speed of slower module so make sure both are running at the same speed (or at least the Samsung one is the slower one). Furthermore, make sure that the bigger 8GB RAM is in the first slot since it matters in some mother boards.
All and all, you might not get that much performance boost from the additional 2GB.

Aug 26, 2005
Thanks guys I ended up exchanging the 1x8 for 2x4 for dual band capability. I will see if that is better or I was better off going with the uneven 10gb.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Aug 26, 2005
Thanks. I was hesitant to use two different brands with two different gbs, just had heard it could eventually go tits up and destroy the motherboard so I just stuck to 2x4 since I'll be getting a new computer soon.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk