computer help

Makaveli

IPL Player
Jan 28, 2006
yeah i did it. and i think it installed some stuff over it, and im done with it. but when i start my computer its still stuck in that second screen. only difference is now it says at the bottom "boot from cd:". if i dont put the cd in then its stuck on that page, and if i do put it in than i have to go install the same thing all over again.

Alixman984

Bench Warmer
Feb 8, 2005
Southampton/UK
It's most likely a hardware fault.
I'm not an expert, but I'll give you an answer when my technician come to office.

P.S if it stuck just before the Windows logo, it might be your processor.

Last edited:

Makaveli

IPL Player
Jan 28, 2006
Alixman984 said:
It's most likely a hardware fault.
I'm not an expert, but I'll give you an answer when my technician come to office.

P.S if it stuck just before the Windows logo, it might be your processor.
whats a processor and how do i fix it

Arian

Elite Member
Oct 28, 2004
Seattle
ok.. so it is a hardware failure..

it might be one of the following in order:

1- RAM
2- Hard Drive
3- Processor

u can test ur ram using a program called memtest. Use another computer to download memtest, burn it on a cd, and pop it in ur defective computer.

if all the sectors are ok, then u try restarting ur computer, going to setup (BIOS), and look for ur hard drive, and see if it's listed under PRIMARY IDE HDD..

if everything shows fine, then u have to try replacing ur CPU with another CPU (processor). It's a small chip inside ur computer, which highly sensitive and has a huge fan over it. DO NOT TOUCH the pins under it.

Makaveli

IPL Player
Jan 28, 2006
Arian said:
ok.. so it is a hardware failure..

it might be one of the following in order:

1- RAM
2- Hard Drive
3- Processor

u can test ur ram using a program called memtest. Use another computer to download memtest, burn it on a cd, and pop it in ur defective computer.

if all the sectors are ok, then u try restarting ur computer, going to setup (BIOS), and look for ur hard drive, and see if it's listed under PRIMARY IDE HDD..

if everything shows fine, then u have to try replacing ur CPU with another CPU (processor). It's a small chip inside ur computer, which highly sensitive and has a huge fan over it. DO NOT TOUCH the pins under it.
thanks arian, i really appreciate ur help throughout this. unfortunately i dont know waht any of the terms u used are so im just gonna have to do what poja did and turn it in and have them try to fix it

May 29, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
If it is an hardware fault you will hear beeps on your computer 3 for video card.. 1 long one for memory.. etc..

When you first boot your computer and you see that screen that says Primairy , Secondairy ... blabla.. then it is your cables in your computer that are at fault if it stops..

If it is a software issue or even Hard drive issue you will get the Blue Screen of Death for sure..

So if it Freezes.. hmmm let me think about it i will get back at you..

also you cna boot from the command Prompt and do a chkdsk -r i think not sure do chkdsk /? and it will list the options..

i work on Unix now so windows kinda forgot about it

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
OK, I will try to add a little to the confusion. I think the last thing you said is that you get stuck with the text screen that says "boot from CD" at the bottom. This likely means that the boot sector on your hard disk got messed up or that the drive went bad. But first, check your BIOS to make sure that you have your hard disk in the list of boot devices. There should be some item in the BIOS setup that says something like "boot sequence" or "boot devices" etc. Make sure you have your hard disk on the list. If it is not there, add it, and if it is there, make sure it is the first device. Then try booting again. If it doesn't boot, then you may need to boot off the CD and try installing a fresh windows on there, including formatting the disk etc. which will wipe out all your data on there.

One thing to check is if you can boot to a c:> prompt, you can type some DOS commands to see if you can see any data on your C drive. A simple command would just be to type DIR and see if it lists the various directories on the hard disk. If you see stuff, then the disk is fine and just the boot drive got messed up. In that case, if you have data that you absolutely need to get off that drive, then you can take the disk and install it as a second disk in some other computer and take the data off, before formatting and installing a new windows systems on it. If you don't need the data that bad, then go back to the windows CD and this time, choose the "recover" option that will probably warn you about data being lost, but should return your computer to the same state as when you first bought it. In any case, good luck!