Computer software question

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Dudes, I am looking for some software, preferably freeware or open source that allows me to access my desktop computer from other computers in my home network. To give you an example, let's say I have a software installed on my desktop that is not on my laptop. I would like to be able to execute some software on the laptop to actually see my desktop screen on my desktop computer, as if I was sitting in front of the desktop computer and run the software. In the old days, there was something called PCAnywhere that did something like this, but I never used it. If you have used any such software, please let me know what it is, or if you have used multiple ones, which one you like better and why. Thanks.

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Did you try remote desk top functionality that is coming with windoes XP and higher versions ?

I used to use it when I was in LA and had to use some computers in Calgary to gather data and ... for my thesis and it worked great.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
as these fellows mentioned there is not better invention that remote desktop. it uses some technology licensed by microsoft from citrix.

windows 2000 or grater can be remote desktop client.

windows xp or later can be a remote desktop server.

by default though remote desktop is disabled on your machine. you should go to control panel,click on system. go to remote settings tab.

and choose if remote desktop is enabled and if so what users can log on to the machine remotely.

if you are using something other windows as the client machine you can still have access to remote desktop.

on the client machine you simply go
if it is xp
start/prgorams/communications and then click on remote desktop.

if it is vista click on clikc on start menu and type in "remote desktop"

if you can not find the shortcut. just go to start/run and type mstsc.exe

I have attached a dialog of how you enable remote desktop

and the dialog that shows how you use it on your client machine.

by the way alot of modern day routers have capabilities to do port forwarding so you have your own secret remotedesktop port.

Attachments

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
I like to be the 4th person the suggest remote desktop. I used regularly to connect to my work computer from home. Some days I stay at home and work. Those days are my most productive days.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Doostan, dametoon garm. I was not aware of the remote desktop thingy. Both the machines (actually all of the network computers) are XP either professional or Media Center, so it should be no problem. The computers are already networked together for file sharing and stuff all through the router that they are hooked up to either by wire or wireless. It sounds like a pretty simple set up. I will give it a try at home tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I like to be the 4th person the suggest remote desktop. I used regularly to connect to my work computer from home. Some days I stay at home and work. Those days are my most productive days.
For work, I use Citrix which installs a small client on the machine and accesses the work computer through a web interface. For home, I can't use that, so I was looking for another option.

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
If you have some kind of firewall you may have to modify some setting to let remote desktop to connect. So, if it did not work at first, this can be the cause.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Take a look at VNC. There is even a client for iPhone meaning you can manage your computer from an iPhone.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
as these fellows mentioned there is not better invention that remote desktop. it uses some technology licensed by microsoft from citrix.

windows 2000 or grater can be remote desktop client.

windows xp or later can be a remote desktop server.

by default though remote desktop is disabled on your machine. you should go to control panel,click on system. go to remote settings tab.

and choose if remote desktop is enabled and if so what users can log on to the machine remotely.

if you are using something other windows as the client machine you can still have access to remote desktop.

on the client machine you simply go
if it is xp
start/prgorams/communications and then click on remote desktop.

if it is vista click on clikc on start menu and type in "remote desktop"

if you can not find the shortcut. just go to start/run and type mstsc.exe

I have attached a dialog of how you enable remote desktop

and the dialog that shows how you use it on your client machine.

by the way alot of modern day routers have capabilities to do port forwarding so you have your own secret remotedesktop port.
Agha, avvalan kheili mamnoon az tozihaat!! Second, I tried to do it and when I tried to connect remotely, it wouldn't authenticate. It seems like the server machine has to have a user id with password. I don't like to use a password every time I get on the machine, so I don't have one set up and would rather not, if I have to. The server machine is XP media center, and the remote is XP Pro. I was just trying to sign on as the administrator without a password and it wouldn't let me. Do I need to give the administrator a password? I would hate to have to type it in every time I turn the machine on. Or could I set up a different user id and password, just for the remote connection ability? Thanks for your help.

PJ

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
Agha, avvalan kheili mamnoon az tozihaat!! Second, I tried to do it and when I tried to connect remotely, it wouldn't authenticate. It seems like the server machine has to have a user id with password. I don't like to use a password every time I get on the machine, so I don't have one set up and would rather not, if I have to. The server machine is XP media center, and the remote is XP Pro. I was just trying to sign on as the administrator without a password and it wouldn't let me. Do I need to give the administrator a password? I would hate to have to type it in every time I turn the machine on. Or could I set up a different user id and password, just for the remote connection ability? Thanks for your help.
Khorus jan, the userId/password is required for remote access. You can set up one user with password for remote access and several others with no password for local use.

Oct 18, 2002
But Khorus jan, if you don't use passwords for remote desktop, everyone else can remotely connect to your machine too!

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
I added a password to this but the password was "a". Typing one letter password should not that difficult. At least in Vista, remote desktop will optionally remembers user name and password so it does not ask me anyway.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
vnc is just a piece of crap.
Why do you say that?
VNC is a multi-platform solution. Did you ever have to use X11 remotely? VNC is a perfect solution for when you have to use X11 remotely and don't want to install X on your desktop. And you can make it secure by tunneling it through SSH.

I do agree that RDP is much better than VNC as a windows only solution. But there are times that VNC comes in very handy.

Cheers.