Computer/Web question

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Guys, I have a friend who is trying to set up a camera (webcam) at a construction site to monitor the activity and wants to be able to stream the capture video (in real time) to a web site. This is so someone who is not on site can monitor the site activities from their computer. How do you do this? I know we need a webcam installed and hardwired to a computer that will be running all the time with an ISP connection. The question is how do you stream the video to a particular web site. I know the administrators here steam sports games in real time, so this shouldn't be that different, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will pass the information on and see what he wants to do.

Actually Khorusjan, there's no need to stream the data over the net.

Your friend can have the webcam hooked up to the local computer and then just remote-desktop into that computer from anywhere. Why bother with streaming?
A couple of things. First, with streaming multiple people from multiple sources can view it, but as far as I know, only one external PC can be signed on the local one at a time, unless I am mistaken. Second, how does remote-desktop work over the internet? I have only done it at home on the same network.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will pass the information on and see what he wants to do.

A couple of things. First, with streaming multiple people from multiple sources can view it, but as far as I know, only one external PC can be signed on the local one at a time, unless I am mistaken. Second, how does remote-desktop work over the internet? I have only done it at home on the same network.
Na aziz, as long as the connection's upload speed is good the video can be viewed by multiple people.

Remote Desktop works the same way on WAN as it does on LAN. It's TCP based so as long as the port is open both ways you're good. (just type the IP address in remote desktop)

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
Na aziz, as long as the connection's upload speed is good the video can be viewed by multiple people.

Remote Desktop works the same way on WAN as it does on LAN. It's TCP based so as long as the port is open both ways you're good. (just type the IP address in remote desktop)
How does the WAN bit work? Let's say I have a router at home that assigns fake IPs to all the PCs in my home, for example, 192.168.0.100. Now, I am at work and the IPs at work are assigned the same, so 192.168.0.100 maybe another workstation here at work. Now, the modem at my home has the real IP address, but even if I use that IP address, how do I connect to a specific pc at home? Is that were the port comes in? How? Sorry for being illiterate about this stuff - it comes from 25+ years of mainframe programming!!

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
To get past the router, you need to set your router to forward requests on certain ports to a certain 192.x IP address in your LAN.

So let's say your real IP is 24.244.110.43 and your PC has an IP address of 192.168.0.100 and the application we are using works on port 8000

You want your router to translate 24.244.110.43:8000 to 192.168.0.100:8000

It's pretty easy on Dlink, Linksys and SMC routers.

To be honest, for this purpose, VNC (The Real VNC) is much better and faster. You can also customize the port on VNC whereas on Remote Desktop you can't.

Using VNC you can make sure only ONE session is run yet viewed by multiple people. This way you can even monitor who does what on the central computer in real time.

Just download "Real VNC" (VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing) and see for yourself.

Last edited:

PJ

IPL Player
Oct 18, 2002
To get past the router, you need to set your router to forward requests on certain ports to a certain 192.x IP address in your LAN.

So let's say your real IP is 24.244.110.43 and your PC has an IP address of 192.168.0.100 and the application we are using works on port 8000

You want your router to translate 24.244.110.43:8000 to 192.168.0.100:8000

It's pretty easy on Dlink, Linksys and SMC routers.

To be honest, for this purpose, VNC (The Real VNC) is much better and faster. You can also customize the port on VNC whereas on Remote Desktop you can't.

Using VNC you can make sure only ONE session is run yet viewed by multiple people. This way you can even monitor who does what on the central computer in real time.

Just download "Real VNC" (VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing) and see for yourself.
The problem with port forwarding like this is that basically you are opening a hole into your firewall so everyone can connect to you PC through that port. It is not very secure. Specially if it is a well known port such as remote desktop. There are people who scan the internet for some well known ports and if they get through they try to break into your machines.
I would use a VPN solution such as openVPN which is free to connect from outside to your home network.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
The problem with port forwarding like this is that basically you are opening a hole into your firewall so everyone can connect to you PC through that port. It is not very secure. Specially if it is a well known port such as remote desktop. There are people who scan the internet for some well known ports and if they get through they try to break into your machines.
I would use a VPN solution such as openVPN which is free to connect from outside to your home network.
IMO, port security is extremely overrated, but yes VPN could make people sleep better at night :)