Daei; doing it with dignity and valor

peyz

Bench Warmer
Oct 11, 2004

The mark of a great man is how he faces adversity, deals with it and comes up a winner.

We have many who fell by the way side when attacked with such ferocity that Ali Daei was. But we know the nature of him and his steel will keep him from crumbling and forces him to withstand and then defeat his foe.

Ali Daei is a proud man. He has reason to be proud.
I am not going to rehash the already threaded path of his past glories and honors.
I am going to speak about how a man, great or not, would like to finish that glorious phase and begin a new phase of life.

No-one would like to finish such a stellar and dynamic career as a football player with calls for retirement and resignation by others.
Daei is no exception.
Any player needs to see his efforts and exploits appreciated and honored at the time of him hanging up his boots. ANY player, no matter how insignificant his deeds and conquests.
Now, put yourself in Ali Daei’s shoes. The player who had effectively put IRAN on the world’s footballing map. Who introduced our football to the rest of the world. Given his accomplishments, it is but natural for him to want a fitting end to his footballing career as a player.

But he was denied of this. Many people are responsible for this.
He, himself is not bereft of responsibility. But such matters needed to be handled with care and intelligence which was absent.
I can understand Daei’s ambition to end his career after a high such as a World Cup appearance , and maybe a goal, which would be any player’s dream. So he bore the catcalls. He endured the snide remarks . And in return, he trained and kept himself in shape for his “ideal” finish.

Branko, Iran’s coach, due to his insecurities and short-sightedness, insisted on playing Daei for any and all games, be it a competitive one, or an insignificant friendly against weak oppositions! This insistence, coupled with the fact that rarely did Branko sub Daei out, even in those meaningless games, to allow other players be tested and subsequently, reduce the mounting media and fan pressure on the aging Daei, made matters worse and incited fans' ire even more than before.
Persistence with this irrationality resulted in multitude of problems at the most inopportune of times; the World Cup games! Without going through the other aspects of this terrible decision-making, we recall Daei’s sub-par performances that didn’t help things at all.

On his return to Iran, he was greeted with even more animosity and aggression, not to mention the ridicule and finger-pointing by fans who absurdly blamed the World Cup fiasco on Daei! Yes, we are that petty and fickle, I’m afraid!
Once a legendary hero to the people of Iran, he had turned to the object of hate and mock by many fans and media!

If we notice, the man was not given a chance to redeem himself and certainly not an opportunity to retire with dignity and style that befitted his years of contribution to our football.
So what does he do? What any great man does when he is cornered. He fights back.
And given his immense determination and maturity, rather than getting into petty squabbles with the media or other personalities, he does it in style and where it makes the biggest statement; on the football field.

Scoring 10 goals while frequently sitting on the bench, coaching a team, rather than playing on the pitch, at such an age, is to be admired and acknowledged. But his coup’ de tate was when he coached his team to victory over all others and claim the championship on his very first stint as a coach. Well, the final goal that sealed his claim to the throne must have been a sweet icing on the already magnificent cake and a slap in the face of all those who berated him.

THIS, provided the fitting finale’ he was always after, to end a career so stellar that is not paralleled by any other Iranian player yet. This was a dignified farewell that he deserved, where fans clamored to hug him and kiss him, to press his hands and congratulate him on his unexpected victory. Where he was hoisted over the champion players’ shoulders and hailed as their HERO.

Ali Daei didn’t ask for much and didn’t expect the world.
Ali Daei wanted to go out on a high that deservedly reflected his conquests, with dignity and while people called him a “hero”.

I am thankful to God that he got it.

Last edited:

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Absolutely agree with everything you said and the best post I read in a long time here on ISP! Bravo :)

Aug 26, 2005
People gotta calm down and stop making him a hero again. It really is great for him that his team won and all that, but let's stop blowing smoke up his ass so that later some others are going to deflate it.

What I find suspect is how Daei acts when things aren't going his way and as soon as he wins he becomes a total gentleman. Daei is not the symbol of grandeur but he did work hard for us and for himself. No need for these countless threads and supposed "I told you sos" there is nothing proved here that we didn't know about Daei.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Peyz jan you mentioned everything in your post so well except one thing ..
and that is it was daei's mis-timing on retiring that caused all the hype .
there is no question of his patriotism and his love for Iran but had he retired at the age of 32 like all strikers do from international and took up coaching ,he could have coached Iran much better than branko did in germany ,that way he could have helped Iran more .and today we could confidently say we are gonna bring the Asian cup home after 27 years !

It is a natural thing ,you get around 32 as a striker your speed and strength diminshes . central Defenders and Goalies can go on a bit longer as experience would compensate ,but for a striker it is very difficult to outspeed and out turn and out jump defenders younger than him ,not at top level .. they all have to say goodbye in early 30s .

Had he retired 4 years ago he would got enough experience to coach Iran in Germany and he might have lead Iran to the second round ! and this is not just a sweet talk , I truly believe in his ability ,to me Ali Daei can become the same guy of 1993-2002 ,those days he helped Iran playing and now he can even achieve more with Iran leading them as a coach .

Nov 24, 2002
I give him the cerdit because what he did in Saipa, even in the begining he tried to again make himself a 90 minutes player which he realised it soon before being too late . however please stop making him as a hero , he should be out of TM from 2004 and insisted to play and if some think branko really wanted him to be stetarer , sorry but this is a way wrong response . i never pardon him for last couple years because he had absolutly nothing to offer as striker and still we are paying the price because we failed to give a reall chance to others during the time MR DAEI was just a MATARSAK up front. however i have respcet for the guy for what he achived , he was a succesfull in every single thing he did , finishing engineering in one of the toughest university in iran , had pretty impressive career in TM untill 2002 and became a succesfull businessman .
But DAEI will never became a hero he was, he played with his reputation not only on the field but off the field with all his stupid intreview which he said couple days a go he regret , again yestarday he attacked , adel ferdosipour, farhad kazemi former saba coach etc , i dont get it why he should do that ?
and for the ones they want him for TM ,when he start to act as a true legend then yes ,untill the time he should focus on his club career ;
having him in TM right now is totaly useless , how you want players like , eneyati, mobali etc respect him and the environement in TM stay freindly ...

Oct 18, 2002
Very niiiiiiiiiiiiiice article and ISP should post that on the news section as an editorial

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, very good written too good for non native speaker hehe and soooo both sided written

God bless you man....

and to those who still come up with some stupid comments go to ....

Oct 18, 2002
I give him the cerdit because what he did in Saipa, even in the begining he tried to again make himself a 90 minutes player which he realised it soon before being too late . however please stop making him as a hero , he should be out of TM from 2004 and insisted to play and if some think branko really wanted him to be stetarer , sorry but this is a way wrong response . i never pardon him for last couple years because he had absolutly nothing to offer as striker and still we are paying the price because we failed to give a reall chance to others during the time MR DAEI was just a MATARSAK up front. however i have respcet for the guy for what he achived , he was a succesfull in every single thing he did , finishing engineering in one of the toughest university in iran , had pretty impressive career in TM untill 2002 and became a succesfull businessman .
But DAEI will never became a hero he was, he played with his reputation not only on the field but off the field with all his stupid intreview which he said couple days a go he regret , again yestarday he attacked , adel ferdosipour, farhad kazemi former saba coach etc , i dont get it why he should do that ?
and for the ones they want him for TM ,when he start to act as a true legend then yes ,untill the time he should focus on his club career ;
having him in TM right now is totaly useless , how you want players like , eneyati, mobali etc respect him and the environement in TM stay freindly ...
you just have no clue what is going on behind the curtain my friend

Oct 18, 2002
People gotta calm down and stop making him a hero again. It really is great for him that his team won and all that, but let's stop blowing smoke up his ass so that later some others are going to deflate it.

What I find suspect is how Daei acts when things aren't going his way and as soon as he wins he becomes a total gentleman. Daei is not the symbol of grandeur but he did work hard for us and for himself. No need for these countless threads and supposed "I told you sos" there is nothing proved here that we didn't know about Daei.
you also have nooooooo fucking clue about Daei

He will be the hero till the end of his life and we owe him the whole football country

Aug 26, 2005
you also have nooooooo fucking clue about Daei

He will be the hero till the end of his life and we owe him the whole football country
LOL, I probably know Daei better than you do. :)

To you yes, he will be a hero. To others he won't be. That's the reality and that's what I mean about not making heroes out of every guy whenever they're the flavour of the month. People will once again wait for Daei to fall and pick at him, you'll see. And some of them will be the ones praising him now.

He's already making enemies again I hear? Said something about Firooz Karimi and Adel Ferdosipour on Iranian TV after winning.

Oct 18, 2002
LOL, I probably know Daei better than you do. :)

To you yes, he will be a hero. To others he won't be. That's the reality and that's what I mean about not making heroes out of every guy whenever they're the flavour of the month. People will once again wait for Daei to fall and pick at him, you'll see. And some of them will be the ones praising him now.

He's already making enemies again I hear? Said something about Firooz Karimi and Adel Ferdosipour on Iranian TV after winning.
again and again no clue my friend.

It shows that your knowledge is based on soap paper...
Nevermind, you might grow up one day and understand what is going on in Iran

Nov 24, 2002
you just have no clue what is going on behind the curtain my friend
u love the man , that is fine plz keep it for ur self dude ,
we are paying the price of his GOD-BAZI and MAN MANAM KARDAN , so dont start the discussion in this case , just plz explain to me why we failed to developp any quality forward during the last 4 years ?
and if you have a better information plz let us know

Oct 18, 2002
u love the man , that is fine plz keep it for ur self dude ,
we are paying the price of his GOD-BAZI and MAN MANAM KARDAN , so dont start the discussion in this case , just plz explain to me why we failed to developp any quality forward during the last 4 years ?
and if you have a better information plz let us know

it shows your low quality of understanding the matter

You all think that Daei has its influence in IFF and whatever which is such a lie, idiotic and your escape to realize the truth

He told me many times that he never ever influence anyone to get his benefit. Branco has stated so many times that he count on Daei just because he is stil good for TM. If Karimi is such a fool that he refuses to play with Daei as a team, it is not Daei fault that he was so out of the game. Why did that Ferdisipour did not show his interview after Mexico game, because Daei had facts to tell...

We all saw what Daei did in the last 12 months, isnt that fair enough to say that he is at least not too old for this game. What else what the fuck else do you want? As sub he did his job and as I suggested for WC 2006 Daei would have been a great sub, too but there the coach and the team failed and not Daei...

God damn it what does it need to all your childish brain that Daei achieved his goals and victories by hard work and good work. When does it come to your small brain that it was not Daei who lost big time in 2006. There were players who refused to play, there was IFF failed to set up a decent prep work and there are so many people surrounding TM like you to have the best answer and solution whereas those who coach and play for the team does not matter for you

You guys never accept anything even not the word of a TM coach that he believes in Daei and that is why he as a player played and not because he wants to be at TM for his self benefit.

I dont care if Daei is a good or bad guy, I just know that Daei never ever would have influences others to get smth. He does not need to and that is the fact. He told me once the structure in Iran and how people do their daily business which was actually very true ...so for Gods sake give it up and wash your face and believe for once that Daei just did his daily job and tried his best to play well as his coach wanted him to play and not vice versa god damn it

Last edited:

backechap

Nov 22, 2002
Thank you for your support of a true Iranian hero. Don't be discouraged by the words of those who have abandoned him.

To me, actions speak 1000 times louder than words. Fact is Daei has scored many more goals than any other Iranian player in the world. Yes he has played longer, but that is a plus not a minus, as it shows how durable his body has been.

More important fact is that he won the IPL in his first year as a coach. Again, yes he inherited a good team, but a bad coach can never win a league even with the the best of players and budget. His determination and focus, which we saw so many times during his playing days, continued as he became a coach, and were reflected in his players.

And MOST IMPORTANT fact is that Daei opened the door for our youngsters to go to Europe. He showed them how an Iranian can play in the best leagues and earn respect all over the world. No, he wasn't the first to make it to Europe, but he was the first one who was successful.

Damesh garm. He has made me proud.

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
it shows your low quality of understanding the matter

You all think that Daei has its influence in IFF and whatever which is such a lie, idiotic and your escape to realize the truth

He told me many times that he never ever influence anyone to get his benefit. Branco has stated so many times that he count on Daei just because he is stil good for TM. If Karimi is such a fool that he refuses to play with Daei as a team, it is not Daei fault that he was so out of the game. Why did that Ferdisipour did not show his interview after Mexico game, because Daei had facts to tell...

We all saw what Daei did in the last 12 months, isnt that fair enough to say that he is at least not too old for this game. What else what the fuck else do you want? As sub he did his job and as I suggested for WC 2006 Daei would have been a great sub, too but there the coach and the team failed and not Daei...

God damn it what does it need to all your childish brain that Daei achieved his goals and victories by hard work and good work. When does it come to your small brain that it was not Daei who lost big time in 2006. There were players who refused to play, there was IFF failed to set up a decent prep work and there are so many people surrounding TM like you to have the best answer and solution whereas those who coach and play for the team does not matter for you

You guys never accept anything even not the word of a TM coach that he believes in Daei and that is why he as a player played and not because he wants to be at TM for his self benefit.

I dont care if Daei is a good or bad guy, I just know that Daei never ever would have influences others to get smth. He does not need to and that is the fact. He told me once the structure in Iran and how people do their daily business which was actually very true ...so for Gods sake give it up and wash your face and believe for once that Daei just did his daily job and tried his best to play well as his coach wanted him to play and not vice versa god damn it
*clap*

:)