Dame Florida Garm.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
Last Week Herman Cain (the latest Black Candidate for the White House) won many hearts and minds nationwide in the latest round of GOP debates in Orlanda - Last night Florida proved it in straw polls, by getting more votes than Perry and Rumni combined. Could he be the 2nd balck US President in a row? This would be a person I would support. Do you know about his 999 plan? sounds good to me - he proposes to increase sales tax 9% and reduce Fed Tax to 9%.

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/herman-cain-discusses-999-tax-plan/he

BTW - some idiot has told Obama to express more pasion......and the fool is doing it - as if pasion covers stupidity. No buddy pasion enhances stupidity.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
China - what do you think of 999? As you should know by now - I don not focus on messenger - only the message.
Those of you with expertise in econ - do you have info or know where to get info on how much total USA fed sales tax is and how it compares to total federal income tax?
I think the best way to get money from the rich is to increase sales tax - those who spend money have money. I think they should exempt food and some other essential items from sales tax increase.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
China - what do you think of 999? As you should know by now - I don not focus on messenger - only the message.
I think in politics not only the messanger but usually also the message is overrated. There is a german saying that says: "Papier ist Geduldig" meaning Paper is patient. You can write down the best things in the world and paper doesnt complain. Kontor ke nemindaaze. Infact almost everyone who wants to get in charge or win peoples votes, is able to put together some bold stuff to fool people and almost every single of them dont give a fuck about their promisses as soon as they get elected. So...be happy with his messages as long as you can :)

About the tax issue: Well a country in which you are not even able to tax people who are earning more than 1 Mio. a year, is a sick country.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I guess the link is old, because it doesn't point to this 999 whatever it is! However, I have to say that I have been promoting a federal sales tax in lieu of income tax for a little while now. The only thing is that the people who make laws, pass laws, and appoint officials have no interest in changign the tax system. I would love a system where there is no income tax and you get taxed as you spend. There is no way to hide from paying your share then!! Of course, like it was mentioned above, food, and maybe some other basic items should be exempt. This may be over simplifying and figuring out the right percentage will take some thought, but I would like to hear arguments on either side of this idea.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
sales tax sounds good untill you realize that under that system rich people will end up paying even less than they are paying now.

How much does warren buffet spend on this personal life.

let's say 20 million dollars. a 20 percent tax will mean he only pays 4 million dollars in taxes which is considerbly lower than what he pays now.

ofcourse what it will ensure is that low income folks like illegal immigrants, single mothers, minorities all will pay more into the system.

a household of 4 in the u.s making about 20 k is considered on poverty line.
so with a 20 percent sales tax a family purchasing 16k worth of goods will 3200 dollars in taxes.

If we really had the so called flat sales tax in the U.S. there would probably be riots in the streets.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Masoud you just like the messenger otherwise the first politician that advocated this was Jerry Brown in his first run for the presidency. Of course you probably made fun of his idea and called him Governor Moonbeam.

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
If you're keeping score, the repulican audience at the debates have applauded execution, cheered letting uninsured people die, and boo'ed an active US serviceman for being gay...

Oct 18, 2002
Another problem with sales-only tax is that cash and under-the-table deals will skyrocket. I doubt such scheme could be manageable in a vast country like US.

beystr 2.0

Bench Warmer
Jul 9, 2006
Ye..as Ehsan said...and I'm curious as well..if somebody made 5 mil.or 100 mil. and decided to move to France...or Iran..lol..what happens then?

essentially..how many Cheloo Kababs can one eat in a day or in a year..?