David Beckham on the cover of Sports Illustrated

ABall

Bench Warmer
Jun 15, 2006
whoknowwwws?
I don't know if SI is known overseas, but it is the biggest sports magazine in the US. This week, David Beckham is on the cover and inside the story talks about everything from US Soccer, to his time in Europe (specifically Spain), the LA Galaxy, celebrity, etc. I couldn't find the story online, but I read the 5 page article. Here are a few quotes from it that I thought were interesting...it is written by Grant Wahl:

Found it online!: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/grant_wahl/07/10/beckham0716/

On the reputation of the MLS:
"True, the quality of MLS is clearly below that of La Liga and the English Premier League, but it isn't nearly as bad as most U.K. commentators think. With Yanks having bought three Premier League teams (Manchester United, Liverpool and Aston Villa) in the past two years, the condescension may reveal British insecurity about the U.S.'s rising soccer influence. 'It irritates me so much I want to put my fist through a wall--or through a television set playing Benny Hill," says Galaxy president Alexi Lalas, the Hall of Fame U.S. defender. 'It's an ignorance that's fuled by an arrogance.'"

Beckham on expectations:
"'That's one thing I'm worried about,' he admits, 'because people probably do think they're going to see me turn out, and we'll win our first game 10-nil'."

On Beckham's time this year at Madrid:
"'At his darkest moment he rediscovered himself and found arguably the richest vein of form since his greatest days at Manchester United,' says Ray Hudson, who broadcasts the Spanish league in the U.S. for GolTV, referring to Beckham's 11-year stint with the English Premier League club. 'That in itself is a feat of unbelievable character. I call it testicular fortitude. Whether you love him or hate him--and I've never been his most ardent fan--it's inarguable that he was as deadly as he's ever been.'"

On Beckham's pay:
On Beckham's salary (6mil+) compared to teammates Kyle Veries ($17,700), Alan Gordon ($30,870) and Gavin Glinton ($50,000):
"'It would be kind of a nice gesture if he came in and just splashed the locker room with cash for some of the younger guys, but I don't think it's going to be a big issue,' says forward Landon Donovan, the Galaxy's second-highest-paid player ($900,000).

David's thoughts on the US:
"Hopefully when we do move to the U.S., it's going to be more like it was at Manchester, where on Sundays we used to take our sons to one of the other players' houses and have a barbecue," Beckham says. "I'm hoping it's going to be that sort of vibe because it would be great to have that again."

Where he will be playing:
"Beckham will move from right wing (where he played at Real Madrid) to the central midfield to increase his time on the ball and more fully use his superior vision and passing ability. 'I've loved playing that position whenever I've been given that chance,' says Beckham"

"David Beckham is only one man. But if the newest American idol can have the same effect on a few million other Yanks, this New World Adventure might just have a chance."

Last edited:

Bauvafa

Bench Warmer
Oct 26, 2004
"In God We Trust"

Let the marketing begin, and they got a lot of grounds to cover. He could become a financial disaster, will see!