Differences between now and 30 years ago

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
1) regime is divided, while Shah was united for the most part and didn't have an active resistance from within his ranks the way the reformists have now broken away from the regime

2) population of Iran was 35 million, now is 75-80 million, and thus a smaller percentage of people need to come out to have as effective a presence as existed 30 years ago

3) 75-80% of Iranians are under 35 years old. The radical youth are a much higher percentage of the population today than back then.

4) INTERNET. twitter & youtube have made the casette tapes of 30 years ago ridiculous in comparison. Information is real-time, and the government can't stop this.

5) Iran has no friends in the world, besides other countries that are losers like itself right now. Cuba, North Korea, Zimbabwe, Venezuela, and maybe Syria are Iran's friends right now. The Shah had the US, Europe, Japan, and many many other countries to count on as friendly towards Iran and himself.

6) The acts of rape and killings of the mullahs are more horrendous than what the Shah did. It seems the akhounds determined the shah to have been weak and decided to torture and kill more disgustingly than he did. Somehow, they've managed to make rape of young men and women acceptable by their religious codes. Bigger hypocrites can't really be found.

7) Iran is looked at as a menace and threatened with attack by the US, Israel, and Europe not to mention by surrounding Arab states. 30 years ago, saghdumb would piss in his pants at the mere thought of the Shah's army, and nobody else was thinking of attacking Iran either.

8) Iran has already gone through a major revolution, and the people won't be tricked again. People back then wanted freedom and independence, and this revolution was hijacked by the mullahs and esp. the ones who wanted to move towards dictatorial power. I don't think the people would once again let a big change towards freedom and change be diverted to another ideology. They've gone through this and have seen the results, for 30 years. The people seem to have put their hero-worhipping aside and now want power for themselves, real democracy where they decide on the future of the country and not a bunch of individuals with big egos.

Arian

Elite Member
Oct 28, 2004
Seattle
I believe they will fall faster than the shah did
I wasn't born until after the revolution.
I don't know how fast Shah fell, khoda biamorz.

All I see is that in this green movement, we are lacking a leader. Mousavi is too scared to be that leader.

I think with every protest, we are getting more united and organized. We still lack a single and united vision/goal.

Once a goal is identified, a leader can lead us through a revolution, and to a Jomhoorieh Irani.

Zende baad shohadaye jonbeshe sabz. It's because of them that the green movement is growing, with more passion.