Do they accept Azad university in US?

Javeed

National Team Player
Nov 12, 2002
My niece has been admitted to both Azad and "sarasary" universities in the same major (chem. engineering"). The "sarasary" is different city so her parents wants her to stay in Tehran and go to Azad. Her plan is to continue her study in US after graduation.

I guess that she would have a better chance of being accepted in US if she goes to "sarasary" but I don't the fact.

Does anyone know for fact that it makes any difference?

Thanks,

Aug 21, 2005
next door
^^most universities do accept some of the courses from Azad universities, i have friends that have had as much as 35 credit hours accepted in US, but as far as the degree i am not sure! they probably have to do it all over again, but with less credit hours

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Degrees acquired from NONE of the universities in Iran are recognized here (pretty sure it's the same for both US and Canada).

In Canada, some credits are given to degree holders only and only if they manage to pass some provincial or national tests and are only good for continuing education.

As for Azad vs. Sarasary, it makes little difference in North America.

Aug 19, 2006
Degrees acquired from NONE of the universities in Iran are recognized here (pretty sure it's the same for both US and Canada).

In Canada, some credits are given to degree holders only and only if they manage to pass some provincial or national tests and are only good for continuing education.

true but the exception is an engineering degree from sharif or amir kabir of course...

Oct 20, 2003
Is this something new BT JAn? My degree (non engineering from a prominent University in Iran was accepted, the only little problem I had was with the stupid "darol tarjomeh" translation of some of the courses I had in Iran. But that was many moons ago.

Javeed JAn, from my little experience travelling in Iran, nobody chops tarreh for Azad University's graduates in Iran as they consider it a degree mill, I do not know about the US, but there are many gollabi Universities here too.

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
My niece has been admitted to both Azad and "sarasary" universities in the same major (chem. engineering"). The "sarasary" is different city so her parents wants her to stay in Tehran and go to Azad. Her plan is to continue her study in US after graduation.

I guess that she would have a better chance of being accepted in US if she goes to "sarasary" but I don't the fact.

Does anyone know for fact that it makes any difference?

Thanks,
What is the other university? If Sanati Esfahan or Shiraz then maybe she would be better off going there, otherwise I would recommend staying in Tehran.

Degrees from Azad and most other universities in Iran are accepted in most places in US and Canada. I don't know of any who don't accept them. They may not give them much priority in terms of admission or aid but they accept them. Those universities (like Standford) who know Iranians better, will make a distinction b/w Azad and else or even within public universities. Many won't even know there's a difference.

Oct 18, 2002

BT jan, for the purpose of continuing education into graduate studies, degrees from Iranian universities are well recognized. Both Sarasari and Azad. Of course the difference is that If you are a Sharif graduate you make it to Stanford and MIT. If Azad, you have to look at a lower rate university.

As Khodam said, many admission committees in North America do not distinguish between Azad and Sarasari. They just look at GPAs. I know Azad university graduates who were admitted to graduate programs at Carleton University, Queen's university and several other top schools in Canada.

Another question is: Which Azad branch and which provincial university? Tehran Azad branch is well accepted by many (especially if there is an Iranian prof on the admission committee).

Agha Shojaa

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2002
Canada
In fact, a family friend who got his bachelor in architecture from Tehran markaz Azad univeristy, got accepted at Colombia University for a masters' program and just started in NY.

My own uncle who is a professor at a school in Australia (Mechanical Eng) has a graduate student finishing his Phd with him and he too, did his bachelor in Tehran markaz Azad U.

Oct 20, 2003
I guess the graduates of Azad University can brag about their institution ;). It has 1.3 million student and is the third larger University in the world.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_universities_by_enrollment[/ame]

The_Referee

National Team Player
Mar 26, 2005
Jabolqa Opposite Jabolsa
Javeed,
Have you tried or have the family tried checking on the university websites, especially the ones they are aiming at in the future. I am thiking that some university might have a list of acceptable institution or an indication in their admission pages.

By the way, I have known people with AZAD qualifications accepted here in Australia.

YePaDoPa

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2002
I have a Doctor friend from Yazd Azad, who is practicing in US for a few years now. He had to do some real hard work, studies, and exams before being accepted into gyneocology program in NY.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
Here is the fact: My own sister is a graduate of Azad university and she started her grad school at one of the prestigous schools in America last year. She actually got accepted to every school that she applied to. What helped her was her good scores in TOEFL and GRE and her GPA. No one even cared about her school per se as much as they did about her own merits.
This Tehran university, sharif, melli, ....mombo jombo is all an Iranian delusion. Exclude a handful of US schools that know about a few good programs in Iran, mainly because of the quality of their previous graduate students (like UC Berkley knowing the quality of Sharif electrical engineering grads). Otherwise, I am not sure there is a sense how good or bad a particular university in Iran is. And lets be honest with ourselves: by American standards, all universities in Iran, and I mean no exception, are substandard. What makes graduates of a particular school strong, is not the education they got at their Iranian school, it rather is the fact that they were smart students to begin with to go to those schools.

Aug 21, 2005
next door
^^totally agree with you, i know people that have gone to average schools and yet they are just as smart as anyone who has gone to an IVY school!!! what matters at the end is not "what university you went to" but rather "are you able to preform and put into use what you have learned"

Nov 24, 2002
As the others said , Yes the degree from Azad university can be accepted

there are some condition

1) depend on your programm
2) if only if you continue for master , phd , etc ..
3) not all university accept that

I know many people who got their Phd here and orginally had just an engineering or science degree from Azad university , they just got accepted directly for master and later they did their phd .. so if canada accept this , i am pretty sure US will do ;)