Downtown Toronto Condo

Oct 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Hi guys,
This is a bit last minute but I figured I'll drop a line here anyways... I'm about to rent a room in a 2 year old (luxury) condo right at Yonge and College. The suite is on the 33rd floor. It has two rooms, one a master bedroom with its own washroom, and a smaller room that is 11X11 ft. I'd be taking the smaller room. The rent for the entire suite is $1900/month. The way we've (so far) decided to divide up the rent is $920 for my room and $980 for his room. In addition, he'll be taking care of the utilities (electricity and internet) entirely. There's also a $200 (approx) annual insurance fee that he's covering. According to him, electricity can range between $50-100/month and the internet is $45/month.

Is this worth it?
Thanks

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Worth it as in compared to the rest of Toronto or just the area around?

If Yonge and College is where you desire to be, then it's normal to pay that much for a small room, but as I'm sure you know, you can get the same room much cheaper in other places.

I do remember my friend was renting a fairly nice bachelor alone at Bloor and Jarvis and it was costing him $800/month 2 years ago. At that time I found it to be a huge bargain.

Nov 24, 2002
WOW ..900 to 1000 you can rent a decent ( not luxury of course ) 2 bedroom or as they say here in Québec (4 1/2) in down town montreal area ..

Nov 24, 2002
Are there price differences between the Francophone and Anglo sections?
Well sajad jan , the centre of down town montréal is 95% english , more you go east more it become french
as they say saint-catherine (real down town )is english downtown and saint-denis is french one so the area close to these areas is considered as much more expensive than others

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Sigh... If you only knew how much rent is in LA...
I know it's very expensive, but people earn ridiculous salaries there too! I remember when I first got hired, this other dude got hired for the same job but in our California office (close to SF) and his salary was almost twice mine. I was so pissed and jealous but then one day he came to Toronto for training and told us about his housing expenses and it totally changed things. We were basically making the same money.

pendar

Bench Warmer
Oct 17, 2002
T dot
www.legofish.com
Hey dude,
I live in the same area (Bay and College), and the price is more or less normal for around here. I used to rent when I was at UofT as well, in a really nice rental building at 235 Bloor St E (It's at Bloor and Jarvis, I'm pretty sure it's the same one BT is referring too).
I lived there for 2 very happy years. I had a Jr. 1-BR and the rent was only $1100, which is really great considering how good the building was (for a rental), and the location.
I used to walk to UofT most days, it's about a 20 minute walk. A little tough in winter, but walking on Bloor St. and then taking the Philosopher's Walk is always pleasant, even in winter.

Oct 21, 2002
I lived in 235 Bloor building (Bloor & Jarvis) and other building around. I used to walk from there to my work at King and University and just used to love it. I live around the same area and bike to work (including winter). I can tell you that for that amount of money you could get a much better deal on St George st especially on the intersection of St. George and Bernard Ave. Great neighborhood and big apartments. Not all the apartment on the south side of St. George are good but the more north you go the building gets better.
The price range should between $1000 to $1150 for One bedroom and $1350 to $1500 for 2 bedrooms. Good luck man!