DSLR

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
houman jaan i dont know about D5100 (not a nikon guy) but have you considered 60D ? i just purchased one yesterday , upgrading from Canon Xsi. I am a canon junkie so i can help you with any canon camera dont know anything about Nikon, if you tell me what you are going to use the camera for and what level is your photography i will be able to help.

Cheers,

houman

Bench Warmer
Oct 14, 2004
Dallas, TX
I'm a novice; been using point and shoot for a while, granted I try to mess with the settings on it, but frustrated with that lack of options, so trying to move to DSLR. 60D I feel like is a bit too advanced for me.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
I still recommend the 60D the price difference is 200$ but its a camera you keep for YEARS, T3i is good but I dont like the AF (auto focus) system, it uses a single CT focus point while 60D has 9 cross point , this might not make much sense to you now but trust me once it does u will be like damn i wish i got the 60D !!! another major difference is burst rate of T3i is 3.7, while 60D is 5.3 and 7D is 8, if you are into action shots, the slow T3i will cause a problem. another issue is ISO performance, 60D does MUCH better in low light so perfect for those condition. there are other differences like 60D does Wireless flash control so incase you decide to use multi flash and so on. I personally think

1-) If you go T3i , you will keep it for a year or 2, then want to upgrade to a 7D or FF (Full Frame)
2-) if you go 60D, you will keep it for atleast 3-4 years then upgrade to FF
3-) if you think this will always be a LOW priority hobby go with T3i its a very good camera if you aint planning to make photography a serious hobby :)

btw the Video performance of both camera is similar with T3i having better Crop and 60D manual sound adjustment.

just a friendly warning , if you plan to make this a serious hobby be ready to DUMP ALOT OF CASH into it, i am so hooked now that i got no return path left :)

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
The 60D has a 28-135 with it so that"s good for start.

rest depends what you wanna shoot....for buildings, you might go for wideangle, for people and faces 50-100mm macro

YePaDoPa

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2002
Pooya Khan,
Ma fekr mikardeem harfe mard yeki bishtar neest! :D
three months ago you recommended Canon T2i to me. I guess a lot has changed in such short time. Anyways, I took your advice and have been taking some of kids activities! I'm still not sure if I'm taking good pictures or not, but the scary part is that the group of parents I've been sending these pictures to think of me as AkasBashi!

Sepahan

Bench Warmer
Jan 4, 2003
Alright, you convinced me, I'm gonna go with the 60D. What would be a good starter lens? 50 mm? 18? 80?
STOP wait a minute. If you have not bought the 60D yet. You should consider Nikon D7000, it is much better built camera, better auto focus etc. I think they should be similar price (maybe Nikon a little bit more). 60D is build from hard plastic and D7000 is magnesium alloy and weather proofed.

If you already got 60D enjoy it and invest in some good lenses.

http://www.digitalphotographywriter.com/2010/11/canon-60d-vs-nikon-d7000-vs-canon-7d.html