European Super League MEGA thread

Jan 26, 2006
Gary Neville today:

One viewpoint I agree with from the very pleasant (/s) chap who has returned to the forum over the last 2 days - is his statement regarding the soul of football and how it's been destroyed now with all these Saudis, Russians and other money laundering funnelling ridiculous amounts of money. How this impacts the emotions you have towards the team....

Growing up, I always supported the team from the city I was born in, but it is owned by a big organisation and i see no soul in the club. Locals can't even get tickets to the games, but you see lots of Malaysians, Emiratis etc... going instead. I no longer have any passion towards them, in fact I am sometimes happier when their local rivals (who are still successful but less so) win.

I'm sure the standard of the football for this European super league will be fantastic - the most exciting league with the biggest players etc..., but i'll be watching non-league football live. I still enjoy watching football but can't stand this moneyball shitshow which has destroyed the excitement of the game and the culture. There's no spirit there.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2006
I kinda agree with this...

Only someone who truly hates football can be behind a European super league

The clubs behind the proposed tournament must find competitive sport offensive, all the way from the grassroots game to the World Cup Jonathan Liew

Perhaps once all this has shaken out, once the imminent threat of a breakaway European super league has been resolved one way or the other, football will find the time for a little reflection.

How we reached this point. How the game’s elite clubs managed to engineer a scenario in which a hostile takeover came to feel inevitable, even irresistible. How the world’s most popular sport managed to hand over so much of its power and wealth and influence to people who despise it.

Because make no mistake: this is an idea that could only have been devised by someone who truly hates football to its bones. Who hates football so much that they want to prune it, gut it, dismember it, from the grassroots game to the World Cup. Who finds the very idea of competitive sport offensive, an unhealthy distraction from the main objective, which in a way has always been capitalism’s main objective.

Unchecked and unquestioned, capital has never merely contented itself with a seat at the table, but will invariably demand the power to make its own rules. This, in large part, is what appears to have happened here.

On Sunday afternoon it appeared that 12 clubs were amassed behind a breakaway: three from Italy, three from Spain and six from England. There was an acrid sense of timing, too: coming just as Arsenal (European elite) were scraping a 1-1 draw at home to Fulham (non-European elite), just as Juventus were being beaten (and overtaken in the Serie A table) by little Atalanta, just as Lyon’s women were succumbing to Paris Saint-Germain: their first Champions League defeat in four years and the first rumbling portent that their golden era is about to be trampled by the march of the global super-clubs.

At the heart of this move, then, is a distaste for the basic point of sport itself: a battle of nations and cultures, towns and regions, ideas and systems, an ecosystem with a top and a middle and a bottom, something you go out and play as well as sit down and pay for. Perhaps this had long been an unfashionable idea at the sharp end of the game.

But in stating their intention to establish a closed competition – or a largely closed competition, which in effect would be largely the same thing – the biggest clubs have laid out their vision for the future of football: a 12-month reality television show whose sole purpose is to generate a ceaseless stream of content, animus and talking points.

The lack of jeopardy that many critics have identified as one of the major drawbacks of a super league is in fact the entire point: a constantly bubbling steady-state tension in which nothing really matters, and so everything does. Missed Liverpool vs Real Madrid? Never mind, they’re playing again tomorrow night, and then three nights after that: football as on-demand stream, football as non-fungible consumer good, football that fits into your life as smoothly as an Ocado delivery slot.

At which point, it is worth pointing out an uncomfortable truth: this is what a lot of people actually want. Maybe not you or the stalwart season-ticket holders or the ultras in the Curva Sud, but certainly millions around the world with no particular historical attachment to the game, and for whom the idea of keeping the elite teams apart for the sake of tradition seems as perverse as shelving the Godzilla vs Kong movie on the basis that they still need to face all the smaller monsters first.

And yet, even at this dramatic late stage, so little about this appears to have been thought through. Will Fifa hold its line against a breakaway league, even if its cherished World Cup is reduced to a glorified Olympics in the process? Will players consent to having their international careers forcibly ended, and if not can they be contractually coerced to do so anyway? Would a new competition be available to a mass television audience, and if not how will the sponsors react? And why on earth have Tottenham signed up when they must know this is their best chance of actually winning something?

Doubtless the coming days will bring some clarity, as well as plenty more confusion. Resistance will come in many forms: protests, boycotts, strongly-worded radio phone-ins, the inevitable rebuke from a toothless parliamentary subcommittee. In the meantime, it is worth noting why Europe’s biggest clubs have decided to go now. Barcelona are £1bn in debt and facing one of the biggest financial crises in their history. Real Madrid were unable to afford a single big signing last summer. Juventus
have to find around £100m by the end of June. Internazionale’s owners sought emergency funding in February.

These are the most lucrative clubs in the most lucrative sport in the world: the sharpest minds, the smartest guys in the room. Are we really to believe that these galaxy brains can work together to organise a breakaway league when they can barely keep a roof over their heads?

Perhaps, for all the heartache and upheaval, this is the logical conclusion: you’ve been threatening to go it alone for years now. Well, guys: best of luck.

1618782206727.png

Jan 26, 2006
Announced...

Fuck them all. All 12 teams.

And a particular fuck you to Florentino Perez.

I hope folks who are looking forward to exciting beautiful football where top players are showcased enjoy what happens to "The Beautiful Game" now.

I hope these 12 clubs lose their support as fans who care about football, its history, its culture, and most importantly the soul of the game
, boycott the teams they previously might have supported.

1618784631911.png
1618784657994.png
1618784686038.png
1618784693162.png

Last edited:

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I don't see anything wrong with it. This will show how good the teams are playing in a league with top clubs from other countries. better than shitty FA cup or Coopa Italia.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
As a Juve, and Real Madrid supporter I'm ready to turn my back on both of these clubs and all of the rest involved.

I don't see anything wrong with it. This will show how good the teams are playing in a league with top clubs from other countries. better than shitty FA cup or Coopa Italia.
I was wondering how Inter milan would manage to lose the scudetto this year and here it is. Can't wait for Atalanta to be declared Serie A champions.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
This is basically the American frenchise model of running the game. Once there you can't relegate. The clubs outside it will eventually die, the very small clubs have no chance. And it's totally against competition.

Everyone has a responsibility. Fans should refuse to watch it. Players should refuse to play in it.

It also comes down to TV money. It's not enough to punish the clubs. Any TV channel that chooses to televise the games should also be punished by regulators and all other UEFA/FIFA/National competitions should refuse to deal with them. Take the rights to televise all other games away from any channel that televises the games.

But what gets me is seeing Tottenham, Arsenal, and City in there. Since when are these clubs part of the elite anyway? They haven't won a single European cup between them. They are just buying, rather than earning, their way into the elite.

The whole thing is made up by rich owners who want to suck more and more out of the game with no regard for tradition and the overall health of the game.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2002
People want both "khoda" and "khorma" without realising the cost.

It reminds me of the Newcastle fans on social media last year who have things like "no to SJWs, anti-Sharia, anti-Feminazis, pro-Brexit" but then put flags with the message "There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad is his prophet" on their social media, because they wanted the money and entertainment but didn't understand the compromise of the spirit and soul of their club if they got the Saudi takeover they wanted last year.

A tournament like this just becomes a funnel for stupid amounts of money, no competition, no respect for the foundation of the clubs etc... All that happens is that Saudi, UAE, Malaysia, China carve up football between them.

Those of you who are freaking out about Ramadan starting to be mentioned by European clubs have no idea what's about to happen, if you support something like this.

I hope "no shitty FA cup or Coopa Italia" is then worth it for you.

Jan 26, 2006
On twitter it seems to highlight the divide between the local fans who are disgusted and the fans from Malaysia, UAE, Saudi Arabia etc... who are really excited about this.

I think this superleague will involve a lot of travel to Saudi, UAE, Qatar, China, SE Asia etc..

Essentially these clubs are securing a future for themselves in the super-rich countries and it will be a dream for the fans of these clubs in those countries who can watch the football they want without " shitty FA cup or Coopa Italia."

Eventually the teams may have to relocate to those countries....

1618837709235.png

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I guess I don't get it, please let me know if I am wrong. These teams are still playing in the country league and champions league but also play in super league. Is that correct ?

Jan 26, 2006
I'm wondering whether COVID-19 was a bit of a test for the fat cats in football.

I guess some of them may think that they don't even need fans.

Regardless, football as spectator sport will be finished and I don't think they care. In the UK they already lost cricket to this through Sky and Murdoch. This is the same at a much larger scale for a much bigger sport.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2006
I guess I don't get it, please let me know if I am wrong. These teams are still playing in the country league and champions league but also play in super league. Is that correct ?
I dunno man, I guess perhaps tell me which bits you don't get from the posts in this thread!

Read the newspaper article in the fourth post of this thread - which bits aren't clear to you exactly..?

I'm not entirely sure what you don't get - it feels like you aren't actually reading anyone's posts or even the articles on the subject but still want an answer from people here ... Of course they are not going to be playing in the champions league! That's one of the first things mentioned ffs...

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2006
Ceferin:

“Čeferin admits that he was blindsided by the European Super League. “I’ve seen many things in my life, I was a criminal lawyer for 24 years, so I’ve seen different people, but I’ve never ever seen people like that,” he says. “If I start with Ed Woodward,” he adds.” I didn’t have much contact with him but he called me last Thursday in the evening, saying that he’s very satisfied with the reforms, that he fully supports the reforms, and that the only thing he would like to speak about is financial fair play. And obviously he already signed something else.”

And the full line on Agnelli: “He’s probably the biggest disappointment of all, I don’t want to be too personal. But the fact is I’ve never seen a person lie so many times, so persistently. That he did was unbelievable. I spoke with him on Saturday afternoon. He says, ‘These are only rumours. Don’t worry, nothing is going on.’ And then he said, ‘I’ll call you in one hour. And he turned off the phone. Next day, we get the announcement.’ I’ve seen many things in my life but not a situation like that. Obviously, greediness is so strong that all the human values evaporate.”

And back to Sean Ingle: “Ceferin admits he is ‘angry’ about the actions of the Breakaway 12. “They write in their press release about solidarity, they don’t know S about solidarity. They want to be famous. They will be famous in the wrong way.”

He is then asked whether Uefa would like domestic leagues to kick out these these teams. “This is the decision of domestic leagues but we are in contact with them and I’m sure they will do the same sanctions, as we will do within the law of course. Not like this dozen, we work within the law always and within institutions.”

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I dunno man, I guess perhaps tell me which bits you don't get from the posts in this thread!

Read the newspaper article in the fourth post of this thread - which bits aren't clear to you exactly..?

I'm not entirely sure what you don't get - it feels like you aren't actually reading anyone's posts or even the articles on the subject but still want an answer from people here ... Of course they are not going to be playing in the champions league! That's one of the first things mentioned ffs...
My question was a yes or no.
Nobody still know the exact plan. The plan won't work if they don't want to compete in champions league because FIFA already said if that is the case, the players won't play in world cup which will kill it.

Feb 4, 2005
They won’t play in CL and eventually pull out of domestic league (or at least cup competitions) due to number of games. Two groups of 10 teams mean each team will play 18 games in group stage compared to 6 games in CL. Plus they’ll have to play 38 games in their respective leagues. That leaves very little room for any other games. If it goes through it’ll eventually be a parallel to uefa/fifa/local leagues

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2006
Imagine Korea without Son!
Rumour is that the remaining three teams are Bayern, Dortmund and Porto (!!!!!!!)

Super League players face World Cup and Euros ban, warns furious Uefa chief

• Plan ‘a spit in the face of all football lovers and society’
  • Ceferin expects domestic leagues to impose sanctions

Scarves of the six Premier League clubs who have signed up to join the European Super League. Photograph: Alastair Grant/AP

Uefa’s president, Aleksander Ceferin, has insisted that players who join the new European Super League will be banned from World Cups and European Championships if the breakaway materialises.
Ceferin admitted it was unlikely a ban would come into effect in time for Euro 2020, which starts in June, but left no one in any doubt at his anger at the Super League, which he called a “disgraceful and self-serving proposal from clubs motivated by greed”.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Also no team from France or Germany has joined ... so they need 20 teams and only 12 has registered. I don't think this will happen honestly.