Farhadi's film nominated for Golden Globe award again

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Have you seen it? I've heard it's on a par with jodayeeye nadero simin but haven't seen it myself.
No, I haven't and I can't wait to see it! As said my expectations have gone sky high! From what I read after their awards in Cannes, Shahab Hosseini has supposedly played marvelously in it!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I'm surprised Taxi Tehran didn't receive much recognition from the bigger film awards. That was a terrific film.
Taxi Tehran was a good film from an Iranian point of view because it showed so much of Iran's problems.

Farhadi's movies are usually in a way that everyone, including non-Iranians can connect with them!

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
No, I haven't and I can't wait to see it! As said my expectations have gone sky high! From what I read after their awards in Cannes, Shahab Hosseini has supposedly played marvelously in it!
My dad and I want to watch it as well. It is nice to see this young lad Farhad make a name for himself in the west. Cannes is no joke that is a serious honor I am sure he killed it in his role.

Oct 18, 2010
official italian version trailer.funny to see iranian film dubbed
in italiano.

[video=youtube;l-N7Kx7nh9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-N7Kx7nh9k[/video]

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
I just watched the movie (Seller) and I gotta say, it's insane to even consider this mediocre and somewhat stupid movie for any award let alone Oscars!

WTF?!

Character building: 1/5
Acting: 3/5
Screenplay: 2/5 (Why so weird and "exotic" while pretending to be normal? Why not just be normal?!)
Filming: 0/5 (Absolutely pathetic lighting, angles and zoom levels)
Everything else: 3/5 (average)

Absolutely appalling inability to create suspense or even an ion of appreciation for the main characters/victims. You feel like punching the idiot couple in the face the entire time.

There were at least 3-4 better Iranian movies this year (even those were crap, but still better than this).

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I just watched the movie (Seller) and I gotta say, it's insane to even consider this mediocre and somewhat stupid movie for any award let alone Oscars!

WTF?!

Character building: 1/5
Acting: 3/5
Screenplay: 2/5 (Why so weird and "exotic" while pretending to be normal? Why not just be normal?!)
Filming: 0/5 (Absolutely pathetic lighting, angles and zoom levels)
Everything else: 3/5 (average)

Absolutely appalling inability to create suspense or even an ion of appreciation for the main characters/victims. You feel like punching the idiot couple in the face the entire time.

There were at least 3-4 better Iranian movies this year (even those were crap, but still better than this).
Maybe it's because you watched "Seller"! That's another movie! This is called "The Salesman"! :D

J/K

Joking aside.... I heard and read a lot about Shahab Hosseini's acting! He even won the best actor award in Cannes!! What about him?

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
This film was nowhere near as good as his other movies. It was dull and boring at times and felt like he is trying too hard. I was utterly disappointed, but the acting wasn't bad.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
This film was nowhere near as good as his other movies. It was dull and boring at times and felt like he is trying too hard. I was utterly disappointed, but the acting wasn't bad.
Well if it was that boring as you guys say then it will probably neither win the Golden Globe nor the Oscar this year! I was so hyped up for this movie! :(

but the acting wasn't bad?! I thought it would be tremendous acting!

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
Asghar Farhadi's "The Salesman" has already won a lot of prizes (just like "A Separation")! and just like "A Separation", it's now nominated for the Golden Globe award. If it wins the award, there is a high chance for winning another Oscar!

That's why I'm quite hyped up for this film! I'm getting high expectations here! :)

http://www.tehrantimes.com/news/409121/Farhadi-s-The-Salesman-receives-nomination-at-Golden-Globe
it is a rip off (rendition as IMDB put it) of the arthur miller play The Death of a Salesman. Since i haven't read the play and since my wife is kind of forcing me i go watch it, i ll keep my comments till i have seen it. but i have a feeling i would have similar sentiments to BT walking out of that movie theater. The actress and actor are from that 'Shahrzad' series and that was a piece of crap from A to Z.

fucking distortion of history, main character looked like street vendor from Bangladesh and the protagonists and the antagonists looked all out of place and character.

it basically implied that a no name, no character, impotent, useless cunt of a reporter that looked like a meydoon gomrok rent boy helped shape a huge part of 1332 military coup.

i hope the movie sucks less but can't get my hopes up.

oh and that shahrzad character no disrespect to Hamid alidoosti but once you become an actress and earn based on your looks you are exposing your looks to criticism. She looks nothing special and her acting is as interesting as stale puddle water after a couple of neighborhood dogs have urinated in it.

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
Well if it was that boring as you guys say then it will probably neither win the Golden Globe nor the Oscar this year! I was so hyped up for this movie! :(

but the acting wasn't bad?! I thought it would be tremendous acting!
Dude the Oscars have given awards to many much worse movies and much worse actors and actresses.

This is the same Academy that gave Chicago an Oscar.
Or gave Shakespeare in love an oscar over saving private ryan.
Or gave Dances with wolves an oscar over Goodfellas.
or gave Forrest Gump an oscar over Pulp Fiction...

The formulas to win an oscar.

1 - have gay characters
2 - have it be about mentally handicapped people
3 - have it be about prostitutes
4 - have it be about Hollywood and/or writers (they love to be praised)
5 - have it be about the Holocaust.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Dude the Oscars have given awards to many much worse movies and much worse actors and actresses.

This is the same Academy that gave Chicago an Oscar.
Or gave Shakespeare in love an oscar over saving private ryan.
Or gave Dances with wolves an oscar over Goodfellas.
or gave Forrest Gump an oscar over Pulp Fiction...

The formulas to win an oscar.

1 - have gay characters
2 - have it be about mentally handicapped people
3 - have it be about prostitutes
4 - have it be about Hollywood and/or writers (they love to be praised)
5 - have it be about the Holocaust.
Agree but you forgot:

6 - have it to be about a raped woman.

Because I have a feeling the movie "Elle" will win both the awards before "The Salesman"! "The Salesman" is also about a woman being raped but not so much about the woman per se, as it seems to be in Elle. The latter has also won many more prizes than The Salesman.

Having said that, even a nomination in Oscar would be huge for Farhadi IMO! His name would be stuck in the minds of the world more than already!

Let's keep our fingers crossed anyways! Golden Globe ceremony is in Sunday!

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
it is a rip off (rendition as IMDB put it) of the arthur miller play The Death of a Salesman. Since i haven't read the play and since my wife is kind of forcing me i go watch it, i ll keep my comments till i have seen it. but i have a feeling i would have similar sentiments to BT walking out of that movie theater. The actress and actor are from that 'Shahrzad' series and that was a piece of crap from A to Z.

fucking distortion of history, main character looked like street vendor from Bangladesh and the protagonists and the antagonists looked all out of place and character.

it basically implied that a no name, no character, impotent, useless cunt of a reporter that looked like a meydoon gomrok rent boy helped shape a huge part of 1332 military coup.

i hope the movie sucks less but can't get my hopes up.

oh and that shahrzad character no disrespect to Hamid alidoosti but once you become an actress and earn based on your looks you are exposing your looks to criticism. She looks nothing special and her acting is as interesting as stale puddle water after a couple of neighborhood dogs have urinated in it.
LOL...Keyvan jan, when you go to the movies with this mindset, be sure your feelings will be the same during the entire movie and after...

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
LOL...Keyvan jan, when you go to the movies with this mindset, be sure your feelings will be the same during the entire movie and after...
i am not going to anything with any feeling i just made a prediction that i might concur with BT on this movie. I might be surprised. don't think so though.

I can understand movies such as 'a separation' or series such as 'shahrzad' would be appealing to a certain segment of IR population. However, since i know about the history of IR (formerly known as Iran) enough to know that:(and this is important please note)

- the director is not putting politics in the background to implement a love story. (he only pretends that) He uses a 'love story' (if you could call it that, i would call it more bestiality (a cockroach falling in love with female monkey), anyway he uses the so called love story to enforce his political agenda.

someone like me would never continue to watch this once you see the bullshit. however, the younger generations (the generation whose standards have become more Shit-e and less Iranian) would not even notice what the fuck is going on and would watch it and go home and masturbate to shahrzad.

i suspect the farhadi movie being along the same lines but i might be surprised.