Farid Zakaria says it clearly about Palin

RoozbehAzadi

National Team Player
Nov 19, 2002
There were so many more able Republicans, even women Republicans, who would've been better VP picks. McCain seems to be a huge gambler. I'd say even when it comes to war, he'd probably have even less restraint than Bush. He'd say, "Let's rain down a couple hundred missiles on those Eye-Rainians and we'll see what they do next." And it seems with this pick, he didn't even vet her. She said she didn't even know that flights from Russia to the US didn't go over Alaska. She didn't even have a US passport until last year. I can't understand why Republicans are so dumb when they've got really good people who are electable and intelligent.

LDPC

Bench Warmer
Dec 23, 2003
They never calculated that it would be such a mess and humilation. I was watching Charlie and there was a guy David Brooks who said that he even couldn't watch the interview with Palin because it was such a humilation. I guess Republicans thought in the short time left they can use the image of her without giving into details. Never thought she would perform so bad.

Wednesday debate is going to be interesting. Lets see if Biden would be a gentleman and spare her the embarassment but even if he did the interviewer wouldn't.

Oct 18, 2002
It is sure painful to listen to Palin. But her selection was never about qualifications. The republicans sure knew about it. The reason she was selected was to solidify the social conservative base who were going to sit the election out because of McCain's non-conservative social views. Sure, there were many other qualified VP candidates but none (except the governor of minnesota - Tim Pawlenty) could attract the social conservatives. The gamble was between Pawlenty and Palin, and McCain thought the hype about a woman VP would help him. I would not call it a miscalculation. Any other choice might have been praised by the media but would definitely lose the vote of the GoP base. McCain's choices were between a definite loss (without Palin) and a possible loss (with Palin).

But the market crash threw all that calculation into disarray. Now the presidency is Obama's to lose. In the current conditions it is hard to see how McCain would be able to beat Obama in November unless something extraordinary happens.