FIFA U-17 WORLD CUP NIGERIA (24 OCT- 15 NOV) NEWS AND SUPPORT THREAD: GO IRANNNNNNNNN

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Hello,

I wanted to start this post in regards to the u-17 world cup that is starting in 2 days.

http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/index.html

Iran has been grouped with

Group CTeamMPWDLGFGAPts
Iran0000000
Gambia0000000
Colombia0000000
Netherlands0000000

For full standings and groups you can go to:

http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/standings/index.html

Unlike the world cup this tournament is consisted of 24 teams divided into 6 groups of 4.

Please post any update and information as the tournament starts and progresses. I will be updating this post as time permits.

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Ok, heres some news for you all:

Today I spoke with a good Colombian friend of mine and he said that in Colombia its common knowledge that they cheat at youth levels. They had several 20 or 22 year old players in the squad. He said he cant confirm everybody of them is going to the U-17 World Cup, but there will be some overaged players. Also he mentioned that Fifa doesnt take they X-ray tests very seriously (if they do any) because they fear a scandal.

So if Iran ends up losing with five goals to Colombia, we know why ;)
Another thing, Gambia always seems to participate in the last few world youth events as an African representative which leaves me wondering since they absolutely suck at senior level... another over-aged players? I guess Fifa will never let us know.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Interesting point. I hope Iran does very well. After our senior teams heart breaks I hope we can gain some hope and joy from these young lions.

yavar

Ball Boy
Sep 6, 2006
BTW,
JUst a correction that this guy is not Hamid Alidoosti,
I think the coach is Rahim or something Alidoosti. Just a correction.

Good Luck to our Young Lions

Oct 1, 2004
Ok, heres some news for you all:

Today I spoke with a good Colombian friend of mine and he said that in Colombia its common knowledge that they cheat at youth levels. They had several 20 or 22 year old players in the squad. He said he cant confirm everybody of them is going to the U-17 World Cup, but there will be some overaged players. Also he mentioned that Fifa doesnt take they X-ray tests very seriously (if they do any) because they fear a scandal.

So if Iran ends up losing with five goals to Colombia, we know why ;)
Another thing, Gambia always seems to participate in the last few world youth events as an African representative which leaves me wondering since they absolutely suck at senior level... another over-aged players? I guess Fifa will never let us know.
Gambia apparently dropped several players after x-ray tests which the results were kept private. Iran several years ago cheated and was banned for several years. I don't know why they got banned back then considering so many countries continue to do it without any major issues.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Future stars ready to shine

(FIFA.com) Friday 23 October 2009
Print
Email my friend

Africa stands at the very heart of the footballing world this term with September's FIFA U-20 World Cup Egypt 2009 marking the start of a season that will end in style with next summer's 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™. In between those two events, and almost equidistant in geographical terms, Nigeria will be next to share its passion for the beautiful game in its role as FIFA U-17 World Cup host nation.
The action begins on 24 October, when the stars of tomorrow will take their first ever steps in the global arena. In total, 504 players have been called up to show their worth - and vie to take up the baton from illustrious former participants Ronaldinho, Iker Casillas, Michael Essien and Luis Figo? The youngsters heading to Nigeria are nothing like as celebrated as their predecessors, of course, but some have already rubbed shoulders with the finest talents in the game by earning first-team experience despite their tender age. Even that is unlikely to rival the pressures they are about to face, however. "They know their obligations and they know that the national shirt sits heavy on the shoulders," 1986 FIFA World Cup winner and current Argentina U-17 coach Jose Luis Brown told FIFA.com.
The favourites
Brown's charges will get the tournament up and running against Group A rivals Honduras in a game that would not be out of place in the semi-finals, proof that the competition is likely to be engrossing right from the opening whistle. Runners-up on the South American stage and serious candidates to go all the way, the young Albicelestes must nonetheless face 2007 bronze medallists and recent European champions Germany in their section. And if that were not challenging enough, their final group opponents are another team heavily backed to take the title - reigning champions, hosts and three-time winners Nigeria.

They know their obligations and they know that the national shirt sits heavy on the shoulders.
Jose Luis Brown, Argentina coach

As for Brazil, they will go into the tournament eager to clinch their fourth title at this level, having previously prevailed in 1997, 1999 and 2003. They will also be keen to erase memories of their last two appearances, which ended in defeat to Mexico in the 2005 final and a Round-of-16 loss to Nigeria last time out. Spearheading the Seleçao bid will be fearsome duo Neymar and Philippe Coutinho, who have already captured the imagination of the Brazilian public and given future opponents a stark warning thanks to their displays in the Brazilian top flight.

How concerned Spain will be by that warning is debatable, with the European side surely belonging among the elite company of the overall favourites. Regularly dominant on the Old Continent, La Roja hope to at last transfer their local supremacy to the highest level.
The outsiders
Talented and unpredictable in equal parts, Mexico went from winning everything in Peru in 2005 to failing to qualify to defend their title at the following edition in Korea Republic. Who knows what side the young Aztecas will bring to the party this year? Their American neighbours to the north cannot be written off either, particularly as they are the only country to have appeared in every edition of the competition, often faring well. They start as potential outsiders.

In terms of Europe's representatives, the same goes for a solid Italy side, an ambitious Turkey team and a Netherlands squad out for revenge. All featured in Peru before failing to qualify for Korea Republic and all have enough quality to make a mockery of the prediction process. The same could also be said of Japan and Korea Republic, whose fluid play and excellent youth training programmes may be finally about to produce tangible results.

Lastly, a surprise of sorts could come from Gambia, though as two-time African champions at this level, it would be far from a shock to see them prosper. Enjoying a football renaissance at the moment, Algeria could also go far, and both they and Gambia will undoubtedly acclimatise themselves to the hot and humid Nigerian conditions ahead of their rivals.

Perfect venue
As a country with a fervent love of the game, Nigeria looks likely to be the perfect venue for this festival of football. Thousands of fans travelled to follow the Golden Eaglets in Korea Republic two years ago and their noisy, playful support clearly lifted the team coached by Yemi Tella, who has since passed away. Those same supporters are doubtless readying themselves to fill the stands and cheer on the stars of the future, with Abuja, Bauchi, Calabar, Enugu, Ijebu-Ode, Kaduna, Kano and Lagos the eight cities selected to welcome the 24 trophy hopefuls.

http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/news/newsid=1121662.html#future+stars+ready+shine

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Iran (IRN)

The past
In comparison with Iran's achievements at senior level, their record at this age group pales into insignificance, with the junior Team Melli featuring at the FIFA U-17 World Cup only once (Trinidad and Tobago 2001). They finished runners-up in Asian qualifying to book their passage to those global finals, but they had a disastrous campaign once there, crashing out in the first round after three straight defeats.
The present
Since then, Iran have pursued a youth development programme to catch up with their rivals on the continent and the rest of the world. After missing out narrowly on qualification for the last two FIFA U-17 events, they bounced back to win last year's AFC U-16 championship and book a place at Nigeria 2009. Under the stewardship of Ali Doustimehr, Iran comfortably won their group ahead of Bahrain, Singapore and hosts Uzbekistan to storm into the quarter-finals, where they overcame Syria 2-0. They went on to defeat UAE 3-0 in the semi-final before defeating Korea Republic 2-1 to take the Asian laurels.
The future
A wealth of talent was responsible for Iran emerging on the Asian scene in 2008. Kaveh Rezaei proved to be the biggest revelation at the finals, scoring six goals, which was enough to earn him the tournament's golden shoe. Defender Bahram Maleki is the rock at the back while Iman Sadeghi is a dependable figure between the pipes. Blessed with such players, Doustimehr is optimistic that Iran can break new ground in Nigeria. "We promised to qualify for the World Cup and we made it. But my work has just begun because we have to show our best when representing both Iran and Asia on the global stage."
Facts and figuresFormer starsMansor Ahmadzadeh (2001), Hossein Kaabi (2001)

Key players
Iman Sadeghi (goalkeeper), Bahram Maleki (defender), Mehrdad Yeganeh (midfielder), Kaveh Rezaei (striker)Qualifying statistics
6 wins, 15 goals scored and 3 conceded.
The numbers game
2 - The number of goals Iran scored at previous appearance at the FIFA U-17 World Cup, with Mansor Ahmadzadeh bagging a brace in their 3-2 defeat to Paraguay at Trinidad and Tobago 2001.

Squad List

1 Iman SADEGHI
2 Omid ALISHAH
3 Bahman MALEKI
4 Iman SHIRAZI
5 Ali GOUDARZI
6 Mehrgan GOLBARG
7 Ali HEYDARI
8 Akbar IMANI
9 Kaveh REZAEI
10 Afshin ESMAEIL
11 Payam SADEGHIAN
12 Hadi RISHI
13 Mehrdad YEGANEH
14 Hamid AMALI
15 Saeid LOTFI
16 Reza GHIYALI
17 Hossein GOUHARI
18 Saeid GHADAMI
19 Milad GHARIBI
20 Morteza POURALIGANJI
21 Hossein HOSSEINI

Aug 19, 2006
So what happened to this guy Manssor Ahmadzadeh who was a star last time around?
he got into ipl in 07/08 (when he was 23-ish i guess) by joining pas hamedan. his position is in midfield and he had 8 appearances and 0 goals that year, 10 appearances and 1 goal last year and thus far 0 appearances this year.

basically, he's not even an ipl-team starter

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Here are the results so far today.

German was leading Nigeria 3 0 and now its been tied 3 3

Honduras has lost the favorites Argentina 0 1

Araujo sinks brave Honduras

Print
Email my friend

Argentina were heavy favourites heading into their opening match against Honduras in Abuja, but the South American giants didn't have things all their own way in a 1-0 win over the Central American minnows at the National Stadium.
The opening game of these U-17 world finals, played in the heavy humidity of the Nigerian capital, began with the fancied Argentines predictably bossing possession while Honduras, by far the underdogs of a powerful Group A, looked to be on their way to being found out early. But as the half progressed, the Central American hopefuls slowly began to haul themselves into the game with Nestor Martinez and Oscar Padilla both going close to scoring and causing serious problems in the Argentina rearguard. The best chance of the first period fell to the Martinez, of Tegucigalpa giants Olimpia, who slammed his curling free-kick off the junction of post and crossbar on the half-hour mark.
Argentina looked a far better side in the second half, though, and Boca Juniors prodigy Araujo hit the only goal in the 58th minute. The young gun received the ball well after some good approach work from Adrian Cirigliano and Sebastian Gonzalez, guiding his shot deftly inside the far post. The scorer, perhaps on his way to becoming one of the shining stars of the competition, was withdrawn by coach Jose Luis Brown on 70 minutes as the match deteriorated due to a massive rainstorm that soaked the pitch and slowed the ball movement to a crawl.
Argentina move to the top of the section, for the time being at least, and will meet Germany in their next match on 27 October. The Hondurans, who can take heart from a determined opener, will meet the host Nigerians in the late game that same day.

The Swiss beat the mexicans 2 0

Swiss make dream debut

Print
Email my friend

Switzerland kicked off their debut participation at a FIFA U-17 World Cup in winning style by recording a 2-0 triumph over Mexico in Lagos. Lazio-based midfielder Pajtim Kasami had the honour of scoring the first goal at Nigeria 2009, converting after 22 minutes as the Europeans made a dream start. An unfortunate own goal from Mexico goalkeeper Jose Rodriguez three minutes before the interval took the margin to two and, despite opportunities at both ends, it proved to be the last of the goalscoring.
Contrary to the scoreboard Mexico enjoyed far more possession than their opponents in the opening stanza, recording a mighty 66 per cent of the ball. Despite the apparent imbalance the Swiss were invariably dangerous around the penalty area, hitting the frame of the goal once in each half. Oliver Buff rocked the crossbar with a marvellous strike from outside the penalty area on 17 minutes, just prior to Kasami's left-footed opener. The lead doubled with custodian Rodriguez unable to deal adequately with a corner.
Two goals down midway through the second half, the Mexicans were desperate for a lifeline and they were duly handed one just moments after Swiss midfielder Granit Xhaka's effort smashed against the post. Swiss midfielder Buff earned his second caution within five minutes and was duly given his marching orders. Mexico battled hard to reinvigorate the match but could find no way past goalkeeper Benjamin Siegrist. Their hopes were finally extinguished with the dismissal of substitute striker Martin Ponce with seven minutes remaining.
The Swiss were good value for their win, displaying great concentration, teamwork and an effective physical style of play. El Tri might be beaten but they should not be bowed given the fact that the 2005 team that claimed a breakthrough U-17 world crown also lost one of their group fixtures before ultimately collecting the trophy in Peru.

Brazil beat Japan 3 2 with a 94th minute own goal scored by the japs

very exciting start. I will post the final score to the NIgeria Germany game which will be over soon.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
ALL NEWS IS PROVIDED BY FIFA.COM

Nigeria 3 Germany 3 final score

Iran will be playing tomorrow

Calabar's champion collision

Print
Email my friend

The opening game of the 2009 FIFA U-17 World Cup Nigeria's Group C pits two continental champions in direct competition. Iran, reigning kings of Asia, will be slight favourites against African toppers Gambia, who lost 11 influential players in a squad shake-up last month. The Iranians' slick passing and smooth technique will be seriously tested by the athletic and defensively astute Africans as the U.J. Esuene Stadium opens its doors for action.
The game
Iran - Gambia, Sunday 25 October, Calabar, 16.00 (local time)
The stakes
In a section that also includes European runners-up the Netherlands and South American grafters Colombia, both the Iranians and Gambians will be keen to put some points on the board and get among the goals early. Gambia may well struggle after coach Tariq Saigy dropped 11 important players last month over concerns regarding the random age tests to be conducted here in Nigeria. Even so, the best of the best in Africa will be bolstered by the fact that at their only previous U-17 world finals - in 2005 in Peru - the Baby Scorpions opened with a sensational 3-1 win over mighty Brazil.
Iran are also playing in only their second FIFA U-17 World Cup and coach Ali Doustimehr has set the bar high. Having proclaimed publicly that he expects a place among the top three here in Nigeria, it remains to be seen if the boss's bluster will have the desired effect of spurring the lads, or heaping too much pressure on their young shoulders at the outset. A win on Sunday would be the first-ever for the Middle Eastern nation at a U-17 finals, as they lost all three of their games at Trinidad and Tobago 2001.
The stat
2 -
The number of goals scored by Iran at the FIFA U-17 world finals. Both came from current PAS Hamedan FC man Mansour Ahmadzadeh at T&T 2001, in the last ten minutes of their meeting with Paraguay.
The words
"No matter what, we come in as champions of Africa and we feel the pressure to defend our title. Our strength will come from our defence, which is spirited and athletic. We have to wait and see. After our first game here we will know how we measure up. We're waiting to see what happens," Gambia coach Tariq Saigy.
"The junior Team Melli features the most promising young talents from our country, who are in their best condition. Our team have no weaknesses otherwise we wouldn't have won the Asian championship last year. I have a strong faith in my team and I believe we can return from Nigeria as one of the medallists," Iran coach Ali Doustimehr.

Current schedule and latest scores

http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/matches/index.html

current standings after match day 1

http://www.fifa.com/u17worldcup/standings/index.html

DOOO DOOOO ROOO DOOOO DOOOO DOOOO

IRANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN