FIFA World Cup 2022 ( November 21 to December 18, 2022 )

rahim

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
behbahan
Doo doo doo
Islamic republic clinched 29th spot!
They finished better than Qatar, Denmark and Wales!
14th place finish of 78 seems unreachable!
With two more teams eliminated, IR is still at 29th. Both Saudi and Mexico, as well as other eliminated teams: Tunisia and Ecuador with better records than Islamic Republic.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Poland is by far the worse team to have made it. No imagination. They were disgustingly negative today even at 2-0 down.
Second tier Europe is just rubbish: Denmark, Wales, Poland..... a few more left to be decided.

There is not enough quality in a 32 team format. How the hell is it going to be any good watching 48 teams in next WC? Absolute rubbish.......

HalaMadrid

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
There is not enough quality in a 32 team format. How the hell is it going to be any good watching 48 teams in next WC? Absolute rubbish.......
Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, maybe even Afghanistan!
This is my theory though re somewhat poor performance of European teams: Most of these teams have players in European leagues, the Euro Leagues did NOT shutdown, Champion League & Europa League played out, so I *think* World Cup being in the middle of the league is hurting them the most.

WC with 48 teams = STUPID
WC in middle of Nov = STUPID
WC in a country that doesn't understand what Human Rights are: STUPID

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, maybe even Afghanistan!
This is my theory though re somewhat poor performance of European teams: Most of these teams have players in European leagues, the Euro Leagues did NOT shutdown, Champion League & Europa League played out, so I *think* World Cup being in the middle of the league is hurting them the most.
I disagree. World Cup is usually in June/July after Euro leagues and comps have finished in May. Players go into camp almost immediately after the season's end and forever they have been bitching and moaning aboutbeing "too tired" after a long season (+ champions league/UEFA cup). Some others would complain that finishing in May with a wolrd cup that kicks off in June, they're not "match fit" at the start of the tournament having not played competitively in 4-5 weeks (warm up games are rubbish).

This WC, most players in european leagues (as well as most other leagues) were literally playing up until a week before the tourney start. Therefore, all should be match fit and as the season's are only about a third of the way through, should not be fatigued either.

HalaMadrid

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
I disagree. World Cup is usually in June/July after Euro leagues and comps have finished in May. Players go into camp almost immediately after the season's end and forever they have been bitching and moaning aboutbeing "too tired" after a long season (+ champions league/UEFA cup). Some others would complain that finishing in May with a wolrd cup that kicks off in June, they're not "match fit" at the start of the tournament having not played competitively in 4-5 weeks (warm up games are rubbish).

This WC, most players in european leagues (as well as most other leagues) were literally playing up until a week before the tourney start. Therefore, all should be match fit and as the season's are only about a third of the way through, should not be fatigued either.
My point was more regarding team chemistry. They had very little time to work together and build chemistry compared to other world cups.
for example, in 2018, La Liga's last match day was May 19, and the World cup started June 15.
What do you think is the reason behind Europe's weak performance?

PajamNL

Football Fan
Oct 18, 2002
The Netherlands, The Hague
Poland is by far the worse team to have made it. No imagination. They were disgustingly negative today even at 2-0 down.
Second tier Europe is just rubbish: Denmark, Wales, Poland..... a few more left to be decided.

Agree, this was the last "real" WC with 32 countries. From now on countries like China, Syria and Uzbekistan have a real chance to make it to the end tournament.
And maybe even more important IMHO ; the whole WCQ isn't intresting anymore now TM shouldn't have any problems to achieve qualification.

I assume top-3 from 2 final poules will qualify directly in Asia for the next WC AND we keep our play off spot?

PajamNL

Football Fan
Oct 18, 2002
The Netherlands, The Hague
Asia is getting 8 spot + playoff, so I guess top 4 will go? lol
what??

So lets look back at the 2 finale poules for this WC :

Group A ---------------Group B
1. Iran--------------------1. SA
2. South Korea------2. Japan
3. UAE--------------------3. Australia
4. Iraq--------------------4. Oman
5. Syria----------------5. China

Bolded would play play off, the rest would've qualified ; HORROR!

Nov 29, 2002
This was the last real world cup before qualifying and reaching second round loses meaning.

Shame for those of us who wanted to see Iran reach the second round but hopefully a real free Iran can do something in the coming decades

footy

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2019
Marina Dool Rey
17k and 20-40k bonuses were reported for players and CQ. Apparently players had damanded their qualifying money ahead of US game so Head of sports had travelled there w a suitcase. Per Taghavi, ex player on Iran int'l.

Last edited: