FIFA World Cup 2022 ( November 21 to December 18, 2022 )

Nov 29, 2002
Japan have now been to round of 16 more times (4 times) than they have gone out in group stage

This world cup, they beat Spain and Germany and topped the group.

Samurai Blue

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
The So. African referee made the biggest mistake of the tournament so far!! He didn't even go check Japan's 2nd goal on VAR, only declared it goal after listening to VAR referee!!! He gifted Japan with this win... Spain was robbed! The ball that was sent onto the goal was out. I cannot believe this
I wished they would review it again... so unfair

Nov 29, 2002
The So. African referee made the biggest mistake of the tournament so far!! He didn't even go check Japan's 2nd goal on VAR, only declared it goal after listening to VAR referee!!! He gifted Japan with this win... Spain was robbed! The ball that was sent onto the goal was out. I cannot believe this
I wished they would review it again... so unfair
They are using quite advanced technology

So even though it looks really clear that the ball was out in this photo:

1669929167545.png

It is this part of the ball which has to contact the filter line

1669929223575.png

1669929249063.png

Somehow, it just about touched the line if you look at the whole sphere not just the bottom of the ball.

footy

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2019
Marina Dool Rey

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
You guys give too much credit to Japan! This was the biggest mistake of the tournament so far... They will talk about this again and again, the issue is that the idiot referee had to go to review it , he simply decided not to! That was so pathetic...
What sucks is that despite having the technology, they still make mistakes like this!

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
You guys give too much credit to Japan! This was the biggest mistake of the tournament so far... They will talk about this again and again, the issue is that the idiot referee had to go to review it , he simply decided not to! That was so pathetic...
What sucks is that despite having the technology, they still make mistakes like this!
IR team beat a 10 man Wales and there was more credit given to them than a Japan team that beat Germany and Spain.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
IR team beat a 10 man Wales and there was more credit given to them than a Japan team that beat Germany and Spain.
Who talked about Iran here? This is about Spain-Japan game. The whole point they brought VAR was to eliminate the mistakes... Minimum is that this ref will not get to officiate any other game in this tourmament
Wait a minute! Is this a deja-vu with Asian teams?!! Didn't refs rob Italy and Spain against So. Korea in 2002 WC?!!! last time WC was hosted in Asia... here we go again, WC is in Asia again!!!

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Who talked about Iran here? This is about Spain-Japan game. The whole point they brought VAR was to eliminate the mistakes... Minimum is that this ref will not get to officiate any other game in this tourmament
Wait a minute! Is this a deja-vu with Asian teams?!! Didn't refs rob Italy and Spain against So. Korea in 2002 WC?!!! last time WC was hosted in Asia... here we go again, WC is in Asia again!!!
Based on this, Brazil will win ... Yay
Brazilete

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
You said "you guys give too much credit to Japan!"
My reply was just to let you know that not only "too much credit" was not given to them, but more credit was given to an IR team that beat a 10 man Wales team. Don't know why this was complicated.

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Settle down mate. The referee doesn’t have to check to screen him/herself to confirm whether ball crossed the line or not. Same as off sides. The ref only checks the screen for “discretion calls” ie fouls, handball, red cards etc. Non discretionary calls like off sides and whether the ball has crossed the line or not is determined by VAR technology.

Nov 29, 2002
I just find it amazing we are comparing Japan, a team which has around 15-20 top level midfielders playing at the highest level, has the complete spine of a single Bundesliga team - with iran whose only real central midfielder is a sub for a Danish second division team and is overweight by a few stone for professional football.

(I never get the cognitive dissonance personally...)

IR Iran's talent pool outside the strikers is very very poor. It's a miracle to turn up to the world cup. It's a miracle to get a result and that is down to people like Queiroz who has managed to make something out of absolute dust, regardless of how much he messed up any relationship with the people....

This team has no business anywhere near a world cup, let alone three consecutive world cups. Hopefully if wonders happen and we have a free Iran within 6 months - we can start building an infrastructure and the talent in the country can reflect in a good cup run in 8, 12, 16, 20 years or whenever....

HalaMadrid

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver, Canada
what mistake are you referring to? that ball did not FULLY go out. It was SUPER close, but as you see here, about 2-3 milimeter of it is touching the line. Remember, 100% of the ball has to go out.
1669934830655.png

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I just find it amazing we are comparing Japan, a team which has around 15-20 top level midfielders playing at the highest level, has the complete spine of a single Bundesliga team - with iran whose only real central midfielder is a sub for a Danish second division team and is overweight by a few stone for professional football.

(I never get the cognitive dissonance personally...)

IR Iran's talent pool outside the strikers is very very poor. It's a miracle to turn up to the world cup. It's a miracle to get a result and that is down to people like Queiroz who has managed to make something out of absolute dust, regardless of how much he messed up any relationship with the people....

This team has no business anywhere near a world cup, let alone three consecutive world cups. Hopefully if wonders happen and we have a free Iran within 6 months - we can start building an infrastructure and the talent in the country can reflect in a good cup run in 8, 12, 16, 20 years or whenever....
Dr joon, Australia has even a worse crop of players and a domestic coach and they also punch well above their weight. Its called "Aussie Spirit". In Iran I guess we call it gheyrat. Although its a term I'm reluctant to use for this team given gheyrat means other things as well which they haven't displayed.