Film company accused of foreign worker fraud, extortion

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
God Bless Iranain Havatans that are taking care of one another

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/film-company-accused-foreign-worker-fraud-extortion-143748199.html

An Iranian couple has gone public about how a B.C. business charged the pair $15,000 to come to Canada — a violation of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program rules — for jobs that turned out to be non-existent.
“We came for job. But they didn't give us,” said Sareh Aminian, who said her husband was only given one day’s paid work. “It makes me crazy.”
The couple entered Canada in March 2013, under contracts with Parvaz Film Corporation originally signed in 2011 and 2012.
Company owner Sherry Soltani and her husband, Majid Mahichi, run a photo studio in Maple Ridge, B.C. They also broadcast cable TV shows in Farsi for the local Persian community.
“After you get this situation, you pay $15,000 and after that … where is my money? Where is my job? I always ask — when can I start my job?” said Aminian’s husband, Payam Bakht.
“I am telling you, I got very, very bad depression. We don't have anybody here. No relative here, no friends here.”
Aminian and Bakht also said that once they were in Canada, Parvaz Film told them that if they paid an additional $1,200 per month to the company in cash, it would remit false payroll taxes to government, so the couple could pretend Bakht was working — and stay in Canada.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
unfortunately stuff like this is nothing new in Iranian ex-pat community.

although it should be said we only heard one side of the story. there was a lot of VISA fraud in LA

where Iranian-Armenian lawyer would bring people over with H-1 B visa and they had to actually pay their employer for a while

until they got their green card.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
This is nothing new in any community. I have heard similar stories with Russian, Israelis, Philipinos, etc. etc. etc., just in the past few weeks.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Happens all the time in Canada and not just by Iranians.

They caught some Chinese dude who scammed hundreds of families the same way.

Canada's government has really turned its back on Canadians and harbors a lucrative environment for criminal activities such as this. The level of suffering in this one pales in comparison to most of the horror stories around the temporary worker program.

Just ask the oil field workers in Alberta.

Oct 18, 2010
indians and asians bring you here for a fee and also make you do slave work for
free for a number of years.at least these guys are free to go back.