First UK Prime Minister TV debate

Feb 17, 2009
United States have done it for a while and now Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg come face to face with each other in a live election debate.

What do you think of it?? Do you think it'll be as hectic as the US debates?? Please post here :)
it will be interesting as rezaei-ahmadinejad debate
boringgggg

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
don't get too excited these events are so Choreographed that you will see no spontaneous moments in it.

you prime minister's question time is better than any kind of debate we get in the u.s

Alixman984

Bench Warmer
Feb 8, 2005
Southampton/UK
As a long life Liberal Democrat, I think Nick Clegg did wondefull.

If we are lucky we might get a Labour/Lib Dem coalition goverment, screw Conservatives, with their spending cuts plan!

Nov 29, 2002
Bullingdon Club are gonna be awful for this country, even though DC is actually a decent guy now.

These guys dont know how to run a country, they used to go out with 10,000 pounds in their pocket and trash restaurants twice a week back in their Varsity years.

As a long life Liberal Democrat, I think Nick Clegg did wondefull.

If we are lucky we might get a Labour/Lib Dem coalition goverment, screw Conservatives, with their spending cuts plan!
Completely agree. I voted for the Lib Dems last year for the European elections. This year, I've seen changes - positive ones for Britain. Gordon Brown has been given time to rebuild. By doing this recession is starting to come to an end and unemployment rate is slowly but surely decreasing whilst house prices are increasing again. However, we are still in massive debt and a change of Prime Minister could be a solution.

I watched the TV debate all the way through, one of 10 million viewers in the UK. I found it really interesting - especially with the mentions of Iran, started by David Cameron, completely irrelevant to the question given to them beforehand.

He said that UK should be alerted with the nuclear threat which Iran and North Korea are "posing". Gordon Brown then interrupted saying that the nuclear project UK are doing has nothing to do with Iran and North Korea, then Clegg responded "Why are we having nuclear projects in the first place?" A perfect question if you ask me.

David Cameron spoke as if he'd won the election already. Terrible attitude as the person who's currently got the job Gordon Brown spotted that the posters of him smiling got him happy. "Out of three years in the job, newspapers never managed to have got a photo of me smiling until the Conservatives come and posted them up across Britain." Mr. Cameron was sent to the spot when Nick Clegg told him to "listen" in an abrupt manner but he needed to be told. Cameron has also put his children to state school in which he proposes the schools to be free. Ambitious but it seemed that he even couldn't afford the fees himself!

Gordon Brown's performance was controlled. The media had feared that he couldn't control his anger but he did which was pleasing for the people of the UK. Brown got a little desparate at times and went to Nick Clegg wanting to say that some of the policies which Labour has announced in their manifesto this week, Lib Dems would agree. Clegg denied everything and would keep themselves out of any influence the top two parties had. Brown didn't say anything headline grabbing but people of Bolton which were on the spotlight during ITV News at 10 weren't impressed by him as they perhaps are one of many people which want "change" whether they're voting for Cameron or Clegg, is still uncertain.

People's favourite and the winner of the first TV debate of Britain's history belonged to Liberal Democrat leader, Nick Clegg. He was composed and was a deserved outright winner. He was the only candidate to have looked at our TV screen as if we're the British public rather than the 200 who turned up to the Granada Studios. His hand gestures was as if he was smoothing a cat but all the same, he addressed the audience and was in comanding position. The only reason which he performed well though in my opinion was because when Cameron and Brown were bickering with each other over nonsence, Clegg backed out all the time and made sure that he wouldn't fall into his trap.

So has the last twelve months changed my decision for who to vote in the general election on the 6th May? Yes. Has last night's debate changed my decision of my change of heart? No. I'll be keeping my vote for the Labour party. They got us in that financial mess and they're getting us out of recession. It's not necessary to change Prime Minister because we have one at the moment who certainly knows what he's doing now he's been in power for three years.

Alixman984

Bench Warmer
Feb 8, 2005
Southampton/UK
Bullingdon Club are gonna be awful for this country, even though DC is actually a decent guy now.

These guys dont know how to run a country, they used to go out with 10,000 pounds in their pocket and trash restaurants twice a week back in their Varsity years.

LOL, Dr. Jan i cant believe you mentioned that, i was just about to say the exact thing -- Eventhough as a London resident, I'm pretty happy with the performance of Boris Johnson, however the fiscal policies of DC and Osbrone would mean deepening of this recession.

Alixman984

Bench Warmer
Feb 8, 2005
Southampton/UK
Completely agree. I voted for the Lib Dems last year for the European elections. This year, I've seen changes - positive ones for Britain. Gordon Brown has been given time to rebuild. By doing this recession is starting to come to an end and unemployment rate is slowly but surely decreasing whilst house prices are increasing again. However, we are still in massive debt and a change of Prime Minister could be a solution.

I watched the TV debate all the way through, one of 10 million viewers in the UK. I found it really interesting - especially with the mentions of Iran, started by David Cameron, completely irrelevant to the question given to them beforehand.

He said that UK should be alerted with the nuclear threat which Iran and North Korea are "posing". Gordon Brown then interrupted saying that the nuclear project UK are doing has nothing to do with Iran and North Korea, then Clegg responded "Why are we having nuclear projects in the first place?" A perfect question if you ask me.

David Cameron spoke as if he'd won the election already. Terrible attitude as the person who's currently got the job Gordon Brown spotted that the posters of him smiling got him happy. "Out of three years in the job, newspapers never managed to have got a photo of me smiling until the Conservatives come and posted them up across Britain." Mr. Cameron was sent to the spot when Nick Clegg told him to "listen" in an abrupt manner but he needed to be told. Cameron has also put his children to state school in which he proposes the schools to be free. Ambitious but it seemed that he even couldn't afford the fees himself!

Gordon Brown's performance was controlled. The media had feared that he couldn't control his anger but he did which was pleasing for the people of the UK. Brown got a little desparate at times and went to Nick Clegg wanting to say that some of the policies which Labour has announced in their manifesto this week, Lib Dems would agree. Clegg denied everything and would keep themselves out of any influence the top two parties had. Brown didn't say anything headline grabbing but people of Bolton which were on the spotlight during ITV News at 10 weren't impressed by him as they perhaps are one of many people which want "change" whether they're voting for Cameron or Clegg, is still uncertain.

People's favourite and the winner of the first TV debate of Britain's history belonged to Liberal Democrat leader, Nick Clegg. He was composed and was a deserved outright winner. He was the only candidate to have looked at our TV screen as if we're the British public rather than the 200 who turned up to the Granada Studios. His hand gestures was as if he was smoothing a cat but all the same, he addressed the audience and was in comanding position. The only reason which he performed well though in my opinion was because when Cameron and Brown were bickering with each other over nonsence, Clegg backed out all the time and made sure that he wouldn't fall into his trap.

So has the last twelve months changed my decision for who to vote in the general election on the 6th May? Yes. Has last night's debate changed my decision of my change of heart? No. I'll be keeping my vote for the Labour party. They got us in that financial mess and they're getting us out of recession. It's not necessary to change Prime Minister because we have one at the moment who certainly knows what he's doing now he's been in power for three years.

Well I kind of agree with you in the whole winner bit, but I really DO think it's time to change the prime minister, I respect Gordon Brown, but Im not happy with his progress, mean time I really do NOT want Davic Cameron any where near No. 10.

My vote has always been for Lib Dems, as I agree with most of their NHS/educational/fiscal policies, they wont win the election, but Im hopefull that we could get a hung parlimant with LibDems and Labour with Nick Clegg as next prime minister (in sunday polls LibDems are clear second now) - that would be an absolute dream come true