Ganji freed.

kaka

Bench Warmer
Sep 28, 2005
Australia
Iranian dissident freed from jail

Iran's most prominent dissident journalist Akbar Ganji has been freed from jail after six years.

Ganji was jailed in 2001 for writing articles in which he linked senior officials to the murder of dissidents.
Correspondents say he is a hero to Iran's reformists for standing up to hardliners, and many world leaders have called for his release.
He has spent much of his jail term in solitary confinement and went on hunger strike for several months last year.
When brought to court to stand trial, Ganji complained he had been beaten but he says he was then threatened for revealing it.
The BBC's Frances Harrison in Tehran says many Iranians thought Ganji, 46, would never be freed from jail, even though his sentence was due to end.
Health poor
He is so outspoken in challenging the regime that they assumed fresh allegations would be levelled against him, she says.
But Ganji's wife and lawyer confirmed he was sent home on Friday night, with no other pending charges against him.
The family says he is not in good health. He has low blood pressure and they say he now weighs only 49 kg, after having first been on a hunger strike and then later, they allege, denied regular food by the jail authorities.
But one family member told AFP news agency he was "doing well and in good spirits" after his release.
Arrest during crackdown
Ganji is not expected to give any interviews now because his wife says that might give the authorities an excuse to arrest him again.
He came to prominence after his investigation of the 1998 murders of five dissidents by intelligence agents.
The Intelligence Ministry said "rogue agents" had carried out the killings, but Ganji maintained senior officials were behind them. His imprisonment came amid a media crackdown by hardliners as the then reformist president Mohammad Khatami appeared to be threatening their power.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4819440.stm

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
westwienmaskulin said:
aaah...he is sitting next to an akhund....evil ganji!!! evil!!!
i love that picture u know. ganji sitting in the middle. someone in suite and tie on his left and some akhoond to his right. they can actually coexist! lol

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Glad to see he is freed.
looking at the pix I could tell Iranian Prison system has improved a lot comparing to 25 years ago. It looks Ganji was allowed to have access to dental hygienes. When I was detained for the first time I asked the guards to let me have toothbrush they laughed at me.

Last edited:

Silverton

National Team Player
Nov 6, 2004
Motori said:
Glad to see he is freed.
looking at the pix I could tell Iranian Prison system has improved a lot comparing to 25 years ago. It looks Ganji was allowed to have dental hygienes. When I was detained for the first time I asked the guards to let me have toothbrush they laughed at me.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :--confuse

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
i can't say if i wish him to continue to be active or not.. on one hand we desparately need strong people like him and on the other.. i don't think anybody would wish to see him go through any more hardship.. he has done more than everyone i know (including the self-righteous people on this board) put together and risked everything..

i do like the Juxtapositioning with the akhound and the man wearing a tie!

oh and lol @ motori .. you a dentist by any chance?!

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
Motori said:
Glad to see he is freed.
looking at the pix I could tell Iranian Prison system has improved a lot comparing to 25 years ago. It looks Ganji was allowed to have dental hygienes. When I was detained for the first time I asked the guards to let me have toothbrush they laughed at me.
Looolll, This is fantastic news. What a great news to wake up to on Saturday.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
I was so glad he was freed, not that outside prison is much different for him anyways.

since BBC censores some stuff, here are his comments after being freed:

Freed Iranian Journalist Remains Defiant
By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writers2 hours, 37 minutes ago

An Iranian dissident journalist freed after spending most of his six-year prison term in solitary confinement vowed Saturday to keep criticizing the hard-line clerical regime.
Akbar Ganji, 46, appeared gaunt and considerably older, with a long beard, as he received friends and family at his Tehran home a day after being released.
"My views have not changed at all. Jail and pressures never forced me to change my views. Today, I'm more determined to say what I said six years ago," said Ganji, who was on a hunger strike for about three months last year.
"My imprisonment was unjust and will remain a great injustice forever," he added to applause from his audience.
Ganji was jailed in 2000 after reporting on the killings of five dissidents by Intelligence Ministry agents. Authorities said the articles he wrote violated the law and insulted the authorities.
He became a hero to the country's reformists for standing up to hard-line clerics.
Many world leaders, including President Bush and U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, called for Ganji's release because of his deteriorating health, but Iran's hard-line authorities rejected those demands.

A statement by Iran's judiciary said Ganji was freed on leave for Nowruz, the Persian New Year holiday beginning Tuesday. The holiday runs until April 3, and the statement said his prison sentence officially ends March 30, so it appeared unlikely Ganji would be taken back into custody.
Ganji's wife, Masoumeh Shafiei, said she was worried about his health. She said some of his friends initially had difficulty recognizing him.

"My husband is so weak physically now. He is just 49 kilograms (108 pounds)," she said handing out drinks to their guests. "But I'm happy he is back home."

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
abouzar said:
i can't say if i wish him to continue to be active or not.. on one hand we desparately need strong people like him and on the other.. i don't think anybody would wish to see him go through any more hardship.. he has done more than everyone i know (including the self-righteous people on this board) put together and risked everything..

i do like the Juxtapositioning with the akhound and the man wearing a tie!

oh and lol @ motori .. you a dentist by any chance?!
Abouzar jAn,
Well said!! I think Ganji single handedly has brought more nationwide and international awareness to IRI human rights and justice system saga. He has earned my humble admiration for his endeavor. Plz believe me to say It feels like I'm looking at my blood brother when I take a glance on his pix.
Even though every one will accept he has carried out his responsibility as an Iranian, Journalist and intellectual still I don't believe he will bring his activity to a halt. He has gone through unimaginable hardship which I think it will make him more resilient and committed to carry on his belief. He was a Sword before being detained but now he is a well Honed One. I wish him health and long life no matter what he does in the future.

BTW No Sir I'm not a dentist.......LOOOOL

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
this man will survive even the south pole.

wha i am worried is six years of jail is decreasing his ability to stay in touch with society.

tears came to my mind seeing this lean man with long beared.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Bache Tehroon(ISP) said:
so should we thank the regime for freeing ganji? Or should we pray for the appearence of Agha emam zaman?

this news made me rather sad than happy.
Soroush jAn,
Why sad?? Can you elaborate little farther?? I don't get it. Yeah I know it is me and the old ages.......:confused: :confused: :confused:

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Motori said:
Soroush jAn,
Why sad?? Can you elaborate little farther?? I don't get it. Yeah I know it is me and the old ages.......:confused: :confused: :confused:
Because it's sad to have to be happy about this. Get it?

It's sad to be happy about the release of someone who should've never been imprisoned in the first place.

It's sad to see 6 years of torture making an unhealthy, tired and probably "to die sooner than expected" Ganji, without a damn thing having changed.

It's sad to be of Iranian origin these days...

Freedom doesn't come free, but the ignorance of Iranian people in general is too much to buy for the likes of Ganji.