Going to IRAN after 22 years, Need your advice fast...

Oct 19, 2002
Sorry to post this here but I am short on time and need your advice.Since I haven't gone in so many years, Would appreciate a Do's and Don't list.

1) I need to purchase a ticket in the next couple of days for sometime this August. Do I purchase it on internet or from a travel Agency?(some say its best not to purchase a ticket to IRAN on line or some say it doesn't matter) what is your experience and what do you recommend?

2) what to take or what not to pack to take to IRAN?

3) places to visit or Restaurants you recommend in IRan.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated no matter if you are a frequent traveler to IRan or just once every blue moon. Answers to question #1 is my main concern right now

Thanks in advance

Old-Faraz

Bench Warmer
Mar 19, 2004
Buy the ticket from an agent specializing on Iran. There are several. I have use cyrus travel and they have worked well.

Ask for the CIP program at the cost of ~$60. It makes going through immigration/customs much less painful.

If you are not used to Iranian toilets, take a lot of wetnap, baby wipes with you. Lack of clean toilets is one of the biggest headaches.

Depending on how long you are going for and whether or not you have access to a laundry, take a lot of change of cloth with you. The dirty air in Tehran may force you to change more than once a day.

My favorite kabab places are right around intersection of Vanak and SHiraz (known as Shiraz circle). They are called Kabab sonnati. There are four of them almost side-by-side. get the koobideh which is to die for. The service sucks, but the food rocks.

Be kind to your fellow countrymen and treat them with the respect they deserve and have fun.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
1)I have never bought the tickets to Iran online really but my cousin did it once as she was in hurry and she got it within 24hrs w/o any problem..

2)Take blank CD/DVD to copy the latest songs/foreign movies in Iran!! Dont forget your camera,every min of staying there is worth a shot!

3)If u havent been there for 22 yrs, visit Niavaran Palace for sure. Bazaar,Darband,Darakeh, Tochal, Parke Jamshidiye are a must I think(although I havent been to Bazar!lol).
As for resturaunts, Nayeb resturaunt infront of Saee Park. Visit Jame Jam rest in ValiAsr too. there are also lots of good resturaunts in Parke Jamshidiyeh with great view of the city. oh and Vida Sandwitch in Pasdaran Ave.

enjoy your stay and have fun!

Aug 7, 2004
u want to know what is goingin the society??

get in the cabs
buss
minibus

u want to know what people really think

go to fucked up kababis.

u want to know what the youth think in Tehran visit nazi abad street or around bazar dovom that should give you good help.

Dont count the opinion of people from Sadat abad and gisha the opinion of all iranians.

trave to diffrent cities.

Some of the most beautifull cities are like

yasooj,astara,ardebil,Hamadan.

if you get a chance go couple of mornings to noonvaiee stay in saf see what people talk about.

Aug 3, 2004
shawn2004 said:
u want to know what is goingin the society??

get in the cabs
buss
minibus

u want to know what people really think

go to fucked up kababis.

u want to know what the youth think in Tehran visit nazi abad street or around bazar dovom that should give you good help.

Dont count the opinion of people from Sadat abad and gisha the opinion of all iranians.

trave to diffrent cities.

Some of the most beautifull cities are like

yasooj,astara,ardebil,Hamadan.

if you get a chance go couple of mornings to noonvaiee stay in saf see what people talk about.
You wanna see what devils look like?
Watch mullahs on Iran's natinal TV channels.

Oct 19, 2002
Thank you all specially Old-Faraz and Niloufar for detailed answers.

Faraz jaan,
what excatly is the CIP program and what does it stand for? can you give me a bit more detailed info.

Any other advise from anyone else is sought and appreciated.

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I think CIP is Commercially Important Person. Using that you won't have to wait/pickup your luggages and you will be taken to a nicer area and will be offered refreshments and they will bring your stuff to you. However these days people easily go through custom without any problem specially those who have not been in the country for quite a while. Have a safe and great trip.

Old-Faraz

Bench Warmer
Mar 19, 2004
The CIP stands for Commercially Important Person. It was originally designed for foreign businessmen, but everyone can take advantage of it. Basically you can get it thorugh your travel agent or someone in Iran can register for it. It is easier to do it through your agent here.

You pay about $60 (you need to do this several days in advance of your arrival) to your travel agent. When you deplane in Tehran, there will be a guys that will have a sign with your name on it as you set foot at the Airport terminal. You identify yourself to him and follow him where he takes you to a lounge (there will be tea, coffee, etc). He takes your passport and information and takes it through immigration. He also collects your luggage and takes it through customes after asking you a few questions. Then you exit through the CIP exit where your family can meet you. They also give you all your luggage at this exit.

It is very convenient and IMHO well worth the $60 to avoid all the hassles/lines associated with arriving at Mehrabad.

I forgot to mention that you have to visit Darband if you have been out so long. Go late at night, the traffic is a bit easier to deal with.

If you are into books, visit bookstores, a lot of foreign books are translated into persian and it will cost you a fraction of what you will pay here. Visit a computer store and you can pick up software for a fraction of the price here too. Same thing with music and movies. There are a lot of DVDs where you can choose a farsi language option.

Good luck and safar be-kheir.

Romira

IPL Player
Dec 13, 2002
middle of no where
Niloufar said:
2)Take blank CD/DVD to copy the latest songs/foreign movies in Iran!!
i would not recommend it, it's against the law to copy and has a big fine.
it doesn't worth the risk.

as sooghati( gifts/presents) for elderly take different kinds of Vitamins(e.g C, B12, E ) pain reliever, and regular hand/body lotion.

also, make sure your carry on desn;t get too heavy and all your suitcases are up-to-date and have good pair of wheels. ;) :)

safe trip!

Oct 20, 2003
When you take cash with you make sure that the cash i.e. $100 bills are new and flawless (Eskenass Ta Nakhordeh). It is funny but my experience has been that if your $100 bill has smallest cut, stain mark, or is old, some banks will not cash it.

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Iranpaak said:
When you take cash with you make sure that the cash i.e. $100 bills are new and flawless (Eskenass Ta Nakhordeh). It is funny but my experience has been that if your $100 bill has smallest cut, stain mark, or is old, some banks will not cash it.
Very good point. There was also a time when they said if the bill has been entered the circulation more than 3 years ago (almost) it won't be accepted. So make sure they all came t circulation in 2003/2004/2005. I'm not sure if it still is true but why taking chances. Man this seems to becme very complicated! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in Iran.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Romira said:
i would not recommend it, it's against the law to copy and has a big fine.
it doesn't worth the risk.
sorry Romira joon, but which law?!!there are actually computer stores in Tehran that copy CD/DVD(computer softwares) for you!!
+
If u dont want to get it from stores,etc most of the young ppl in Tehran have latest Music albums and Hollywood movies that are playing in theatres!!

houman

Bench Warmer
Oct 14, 2004
Dallas, TX
International Copyright laws are not abided by in Iran. Otherwise, there would have been no Microsoft Windows in Iran, since Microsoft is a US company, and they aren't allowed to do business with countries listed as sponsors of terrorism; yet the day Windows XP was released here in US, it was also released in Iran.

Oct 19, 2002
I Love you all and Thank you all,

Please keep the advice coming, I am learning a lot and believe me, I am taking every one of your suggestions. Tell me more

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
You should visit paietakht, u can buy the latest DVDs, computer games , programs for a really a cheap price, plus its a great mall and it has one of the best coffee shops and a lot of foreigners go there to take advantage of the cheap prices, the last time I went there I meet this guy from Italy who spoke English , I had a nice long chat with him. And don’t get on the domestic flights in Iran, they are very scary, I thought we were gone crash like 20 times when we a took flight from Tehran to shiraz and the airport in shiraz is the only airport I seen which the plane drops off the passengers in the middle of the runway, you have to walk from the runway to the terminal . And defiantly goto shomal and rent a villa for a week, its fun. The best thing for us Iranians who are outside of Iran is the fact that everything is so cheap for us when we go back to iran , you can basically do what ever you want with a small budget.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Romira said:
i meant copying foreign/amercian movies (NOt iranian ones) and carrying them to the us. given that Footballer lives here.

cheers!
but Romira jan, they dont check the laggages in the airport in USA, or do they?!and copied DVD/computer programs are not sealed or anything,so I dont think they check/install every single CD he brings to US.

ciao!

Oct 1, 2004
I always bring CD's and software, and no body in Customs gives a damn, instead they ask me dumb questions like "are you chewing heroin gum?"