Goverment new military services legislation and rules

Hi Guys,

Just a sudden thing is happening around my life at the moment and waned to share it with you guys. would be appreciated if you could put your thoughts and suggestion and help me with the situation i'm going through at the moment.

Obviously you should know, for those people who haven't attended military services in Iran like myself they need to get an exit exemption stamp from the iranian embassy if they want to enter our motherland, Iran! (Once a year).

I am getting married in about 6 weeks in iran and surprisingly when I arrived to iraninan embassy to get my exit exemption stamp 2 days ago (3 hours drive from where I live, I live in Sydney), i got the respond from them saying that the new legislation just came out advising not to provide any exit exemption stamp until further notice! not even buying military services.

Now, My fiance and myself have organised and paid everything for the wedding ceremony.. it's just shocking ..
what would you do guys? would you still take the bloody risk and go to iran without any exit exepmtion, attend your wedding day as if like nothing will happen, lose your job where you live right now and wait in iran til the new legislation comes out, bare in mind with the presidential election happening in 3 months, i don't think the new legislation will come out til end of Khordad month huh !!!!

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Absolutely NOT!

A wedding is one of the most meaningless things in a person's life. No married person gives two shits about their wedding. It's usually a waste of hard-earned money and a source of endless stress for the groom, bride, and their ever less understanding families.

Why would you risk losing your job, safety, status and future for such a meaningless thing?

Congratulations btw :)

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
dude, I bought my sarbazi in 2008. because of the precise problem you were point out.

I think the government needs the money. they are just trying come with a new law so they charge enough money adjusted for foreign currency fluctuation.

I would advise you against going to Iran until you have the stamp (lately they actually do not stamp it. they just say the computer has it).

cancel the wedding untill you have the stamp

if you can not wait to see your fiance. the easiest solution is the following:
using your american passport travel to turkey (if you show your iranian passport in turkey there is no visa needed with american passport you have to pay some fee).

go either to ankara or istanbul (more flights to istanbul)

your fiance can fly no visa requirements to istanbul or Ankara.

from just keep taking the train around Turkey enjoy each other's company.

you can even marry there (I am not sure if foreigner can marry there) if you like and go to Iranian embassy to validate the papers.

bottom line do no go to iran:

in 2009 I had my Maafiat card. I went to Iran without the stamp. then I had to go all the way to tehran from esfahan for a freaking stamp.
and then that whole thing. took three days of my time.

and mind you I had the Maafiat card to begin with.

Bacche tehroon, hehehe .. Merci agha .. to us "men", it is meaningless but to ladies .. ohhhh man!
and thanks for your input esamamni jan, We are just waiting hoping the new law comes out before the big day. If not, then we might do your suggestion of having holiday somewhere around Iran (I live in Australia though).

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Don't do it.
The marriage part I meant.
Save this and 5 years from now you will say I wish I would have listened to ZA.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
OzMate,

I would certainly not go to Iran unless you are certain of your exit. You can marry again 6 months down the line. Your fiance will understand and be waiting. If not then may be it wasn't meant to be at all. I suggest you take a serious and non-compromising attitude to this. You are talking about your future here. Don't be soft. With Iranians (specially women) you have to be firm. Once you soften up a little and give in, then be prepared to give ground again and again in the future.

But I fully understand you. For us men the wedding day is a necessary evil but for women, well they wait their entire lives for it. You need to make sure everything is very good, or at least better than the friends and families weddings because Iranians tend to compare and compete.

Pardon my intrusion, but do you plan to take your wife to Australia? Has she been there before?

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
I wouldn’t risk it but when I was in Iran 2 years ago on my return flight I meet someone that was 28 years old Bahai and didn’t know he needed a exit stamp because it was his first time going to Iran and he took a chance and was able to get on the return flight as they didn’t ask him anything .

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
No way I would risk going to Iran without the exit permission stamp in my Passport. No way in hell.

congrats on getting married and good luck. believe me, you'll need it. ;)

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I went to Iran few years back when my stamp was already expired and I had not noticed. Mind you, when I was about to leave, I was told that my stamp is expired and I am not able to leave. I kept telling the guy that I had already contacted Iranian embassy and they told me I don't need anything. I was trying to bluff of course.

Finally, after talking to 3 more people and waiting for more than hour and staying with my story, I was able to get them put a stamp in my passport and was able to leave.
I know I got really lucky since it is unheard of letting people leave the country without proper exit permit, but somehow, someone was watching over my shoulder and I was able to get out.

Thanx guys ... Payandeh Iran, you always crack me up with your comments, Merci. You, BT and ZB, come on guys .. Marriage is such a joy and memorable moment of your life :)
Agha Behrooz, She understands the consequences and keeps telling me "age nasheh shayad ye hekmatieh, ghesmatesh bereseh migirim", vali I am the one who is so passionate about this day to make it happen. She's never been in oz before but she got her graduation from Belgium.
Maziar, Lucky guy huh ..
Merci agha behzad.
Finally, now that's a pure luck! that someone who watched over your shoulder, could you tell him/her to look after us too please!
Flint, hehehe he will suggest me of making a fake movie, of course! Thanx for your info agha.

My flight in next Friday, I will wait til then, hopefully new law will come soon.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
ozMate,
A quick peace of advice if I may. You can take it or leave it!
Do NOT agree to a hefty mehriyeh. Only accept so much as you can physically afford to pay should things go wrong. Remember, when everything is fine and happy, you don't think of it, but when things go wrong (and I hope that never happens) people change, and you will be the loser.
As you are taking her to Australia with you, she does not have the same restrictions as she would if you lived in Iran. In Oz she will have all the freedoms and all the rights. So Mehriyeh is just not necessary. If I were you I would have made this absolutely clear.
Remember, if you can not pay the Mehriyeh you will be barred from leaving the country. So you have everything to lose.

I know couples in Iran who agree to a small Mehrieh as a token (like 14 coins or something) but in return the man gives the wife to be the right to divorce which gets written in their marriage certificate. Do it this way and is she has any self respect and good intentions she will agree. You will also value her much higher this way.

Anyway, sorry for being nosy. My best wishes to you.