Help me understand the IR government..

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
Please read the explanation to the side of each box, once you click on the box:

"This is the most influential body in Iran and is currently controlled by conservatives. It consists of six theologians appointed by the leader and six jurists nominated by the judiciary and approved by parliament. The council has to approve all bills passed by parliament and make sure they conform to the constitution and Islamic law. The council also has the power to veto candidates in elections to parliament, local councils, the presidency and the Assembly of Experts. President Khatami is attempting to remove this power."

Jun 18, 2005
Sorry I wasnt talking about the explanations given but the picture itself. They need to have an arrow connecting the head of judiciary to National guardian council.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Thats not an entirely accurate picture. Only half the guardian council is selected by the Supreme leader. The other half is elected by Majlis from candidates presented by the head of judiciary system.
Not true,
The other half will be selected by Head of the Judiciary then they will be send to Majlis ShowrAyeh Eslami for approval. In essence all 12 members of the Guardian Council are Selected due to Head of Judiciary Himself also being Selected by Supreme Leader.

IRI constitution Article 91
With a view to safeguard the Islamic ordinances and the Constitution, in order to examine the compatibility of the legislation passed by the Islamic Consultative Assembly with Islam, a council to be known as the Guardian Council is to be constituted with the following composition:
1. six 'adil fuqaha' conscious of the present needs and the issues of the day, to be selected by the Leader, and 2. six jurists, specializing in different areas of law, to be elected by the Islamic Consultative Assembly from among the Muslim jurists nominated-by the Head of the Judicial Power.
Who Selectes the Head of the Judiciary who MUST be a Mullah?
Article 157
In order to fulfil the responsibilities of the judiciary power in all the matters concerning judiciary, administrative and executive areas, the Leader shall appoint a just Mujtahid well versed in judiciary affairs and possessing prudence. and administrative abilities as the head of the judiciary power for a period of five years who shall be the highest judicial authority.
and this Article compeletly overrides the power of Majlis
Article 93
The Islamic Consultative Assembly (Majlis ShowrAyeh Eslami) does not hold any legal status if there is no Guardian Council in existence, except for the purpose of approving the credentials of its members and the election of thee six jurists on the Guardian Council.

Aug 27, 2005
Band e 209
Sorry I wasnt talking about the explanations given but the picture itself. They need to have an arrow connecting the head of judiciary to National guardian council.
There is no National Guardian Council, it is just Guardian Council. IRI despise that phrase (national) and they went bunkers in order to eliminate that phrase from power structure lingo.
As matter of fact the word "Melli" is mentioned only 6 times in the entire constitution and all 6 times is used within a sentence and not as a word with independent context.
Article 2, 26, 48, 83, 100 and 176.
BTW: The missing connecting arrow you mentioned is temporarily valid/exists at the time of selecting 1/2 of G.C members, after the assembly G.C will only answer to the Leader and no one else.

Khoda

Ball Boy
Jun 8, 2007
Kudos to IR for accomplishing the following: create the most convoluted governmnet in history so no one knows who the heck is in charge; hold elections that look like real ones on CNN; make it look like there is a constant struggle in the government and they are about to fall; fool think tanks into advising governments that moderates are about to come to power any day now; make everyone think that If you are nice to them they'll be nice to you; pull a Noble peace prize winner out of the hat then have her point at Gitmo instead; ask for the elimination of a member state at the UN and be invited again; show crytsal clear pictures(taken with a hidden camera and a shaky hand of course) showing student demonstrations against the president; periodically send a "dissenting" cleric abroad to show dissention in the ranks then have him come back and disappear until next time.

Oct 18, 2002
do not forget during the reign of his supreme leadership he chooses the members of

"majlese khobregan" so at the end he influences his job for the future as he can bring people in that majlese who knows and loves him best

By the way guys, so far I did not read any fosh bad wordings

I am proud of you...

Makaveli

IPL Player
Jan 28, 2006
do not forget during the reign of his supreme leadership he chooses the members of

"majlese khobregan" so at the end he influences his job for the future as he can bring people in that majlese who knows and loves him best

By the way guys, so far I did not read any fosh bad wordings

I am proud of you...
are you sure about that? I thought the majlese khobregan was directly elected and that the majlese khobregan appointed the supreme leader. is that wrong?

Oct 18, 2002
the IR are purely corrupt, there is no structure in the govt, and all these answers and questions lead to more confusion about something this corrupt....
can you stop those stupid nonsense comment

we all know what problems we have

but lets discuss smth properly and noone acts so childish

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
are you sure about that? I thought the majlese khobregan was directly elected and that the majlese khobregan appointed the supreme leader. is that wrong?
Makaveli jan,
dont confuse yourself! Read the info others have provided.
Majlese Khobregan consist of = 6 theologians(appointed by leader himself) + 6 members whom are elected by people(!). BUT ,a big but, those 6 jurists who run for election are approved/disqualified by Guardian Council. So a clear filter and biaseness basically..

So in reality, the leader himself has atleast 50% of the votes in appointing/changing/removing himself via Assembly of Experts!!!!

Also, as much as they try to show this assembly as powerful, at the end of the day if Khamenei wants to step down, and this assembly chooses a replacement and Khamenei doesnt agree wt him, he can dismiss their choise!!!
Just like Khomeini did, when Assembly of Experts voted for Montazeri to replace him, but Khomeini dismissed their choice and hence Khamenei was chosen!!!

Conclusion= All these assemblies/guardian council/parlimant/etc are run by the same particular figures who hold govt power and they r related like chain, and ordinary ppl have no direct say, unlike democratic countries.

Makaveli

IPL Player
Jan 28, 2006
Makaveli jan,
dont confuse yourself! Read the info others have provided.
Majlese Khobregan consist of = 6 theologians(appointed by leader himself) + 6 members whom are elected by people(!). BUT ,a big but, those 6 jurists who run for election are approved/disqualified by Guardian Council.
Are you sure about that? I thought the Majlese Khobregan consisted of 86 members that are directly elected. And then the Guardian Council is the one you described with the 6 theologians, and 6 elected members, and in fact this group is the one that approves/disqualifies candidates.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Are you sure about that? I thought the Majlese Khobregan consisted of 86 members that are directly elected. And then the Guardian Council is the one you described with the 6 theologians, and 6 elected members, and in fact this group is the one that approves/disqualifies candidates.
oops,sorry yeah thats Guardian council(shoraye negahban) with 12 members. Majlese Khobregan has 86 members as u said, which only clerics can get nominated and shoraye Negahban qualify/disqualify them from election.