Henry: Cannavaro values nothing

dariush-44

Bench Warmer
Oct 15, 2004
Henry: Cannavaro values nothing

France striker Thierry Henry has accused Italy defender and Ballon d'Or winner Fabio Cannavaro of "valuing nothing" and being an unworthy champion. The Arsenal man claimed the Real Madrid centre back deliberately impeded him during the World Cup final, which Italy won on penalties.

"In Berlin Cannavaro put me out of the game in the first minute," Henry fumed. "It is clear he did it deliberately and great defenders don't behave in this way."

France lost the final on penalties, leaving Henry with a trophy-less season despite making it to the Champions League final with Arsenal.

"We were 50 metres from goal," he continued. "I left the ball and he pretended that he didn't see me coming. He did the same thing with (Franck) Ribery during France-Italy at the Stade de France (during the Euro 2008 qualifier, which France won 3-1)."

"For me a great defender must not play like this in such a big game; he values nothing."

"Great defenders are Laurent Blanc, Lilian Thuram, Paolo Maldini and Marcel Desailly, who were always really hard but correct."

French media, chairman of the FIFA Technical and Development Committee Michel Platini, France Foot magazine (who organise the Ballon d'Or) and a selection of French coaches and players have criticised the decision to award Cannavaro the trophy.

However, Henry won nothing in the 2005/6 season and the award normally goes to a triumphant player.

Source
He is claiming that Cannavaro doesn't value anything ; but after reading the article I've came to the conclusion that Henry doesn't value the beautiful game.

He needs to stop moaning and whining, and prove his words on the pitch (apparantly he doesn't have much to say against defenders like Cannavaro).

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser
I don't think Cannavaro deserved it either, but Henry really comes off as loser sometimes. Still can't forget that idiotic interview he gave after the Barca game. He's too pretentious.

sirabi

News Team
Sep 19, 2005
I really don't see what was so wrong about what he said. Cannavaro's foul was absolutely intentional and classic cynical Italian defending. I may be biased because I'm a huge fan of Henry, but whatever you want to say about him, he's no cheat. Although he did sound whiny after the Barca game, I also think the ref let Puyol and Marquez get away with too much. Cannavaro's foul was not only unfair, but very dangerous. Who deserves more criticism, the guy who goes out and cheats, or the guy who calls out the one who is cheating? There are hard fouls and then there are calculated cynical fouls to put people out of games which is what Cannavaro did.

Dariush jan, who's the one who doesn't value the beautiful game? The one who acts like a thug on the pitch or the one who talks about it off the pitch?

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Before Henry starts talking about other peoples class, he should take a look at himself and see how many times he actually faked fouls and dove during the WC :rolleyes:

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002

westwienmaskulin

News Team, ISP Managers Team, ISP Podcast Team
Oct 18, 2002
Av. Aristide Maillol, BCN

liverpool

Bench Warmer
Jul 28, 2006
U.S.
I really don't see what was so wrong about what he said. Cannavaro's foul was absolutely intentional and classic cynical Italian defending. I may be biased because I'm a huge fan of Henry, but whatever you want to say about him, he's no cheat. Although he did sound whiny after the Barca game, I also think the ref let Puyol and Marquez get away with too much. Cannavaro's foul was not only unfair, but very dangerous. Who deserves more criticism, the guy who goes out and cheats, or the guy who calls out the one who is cheating? There are hard fouls and then there are calculated cynical fouls to put people out of games which is what Cannavaro did.

Dariush jan, who's the one who doesn't value the beautiful game? The one who acts like a thug on the pitch or the one who talks about it off the pitch?
Well said, I think this defender is champion of cheat. I'm not a fan of Henry, but let's be a little bit honest about Henry's case in the final game. I was watching the game so closely and Canavaro was trying to sent Henry out of the pitch in the first 5 mins intentionally. I think there is nothing to be biased about.

ali_karimi

Bench Warmer
Dec 19, 2004
Canada
Before Henry starts talking about other peoples class, he should take a look at himself and see how many times he actually faked fouls and dove during the WC :rolleyes:
Henry should take a look at himself? What other player that is playing right now has put as much as Henry has to the game. He's done so much for the game, his Stand-Up, Speak Up campaign, his success, and everything he's done. I remember when that player died on the pitch, they showed Henry during the national anthem before one of his games and he was crying his eyes out for the player. What other player has shown the class that Henry has? Best player in the world right now, no doubt.

HENRY FOREVER

Sabzi

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Henry should take a look at himself? What other player that is playing right now has put as much as Henry has to the game. He's done so much for the game, his Stand-Up, Speak Up campaign, his success, and everything he's done. I remember when that player died on the pitch, they showed Henry during the national anthem before one of his games and he was crying his eyes out for the player. What other player has shown the class that Henry has? Best player in the world right now, no doubt.

HENRY FOREVER
Are you kidding me? Henry is an unbelievable player but lately he dives and rants a lot. Its just the way it is... he made such a fool out of himself when he acted in the Spain game which showed me his true face (I actually liked him very much before and still dont dislike him...).

Oct 18, 2002
704 Houser

I believe Henry is a wonderful player who deserves all the praise in the world for his wonderful play. But that interview was wrong on so many levels, it was disgusting. First he attacked our defenders for playing rough, but then said he's not a girl which I don't doubt but defeats the whole purpose of crying about rough play in the first place. If you wanna act like a man in a "man's game (whatever that means)" then whining and bitching doesn't really help your cause. But it got even worse, because the next time we saw Henry on the field, the nice high-definition pictures from the world cup exposed him as a diver in a couple of occasions. I think the game against Spain stood out in particular.

There something else about him that rubs me the wrong way. It's those interviews that he gives to American reporters which we have all seen about racism. I admire him for taking on this issue and believe me I'm absolutely disgusted by it too. But I think football already gets a bad rap in this country and he doesn't really need to give those simple minded sports talking heads another reason to hate on "soccer." As if football fans weren't already stereotyped enough as hooligans by the American media, we now carry a dirty little secret too, that we are a bunch of racists.

I don't know, it's just the way he talks to those reporters that irritates me. The way he phrases his question. "they call us monkey, can you believe this in the 21st century?." And then they show a close-up of the idiot reporter shaking his head in disgust. I just wanna jump in and answer Henry's question. "Of course I believe it. You see, Thierry, racism is actually a bigger problem here. Although we have decided not to openly call black athletes by the N word anymore, US of A proudly retains her title as the most segregated nation in the world. Our black people live in the inner city wastelands and white people live in the comfort of the rich 'burbs. In this country institutionalized racism gives the black man so little opportunity that he thinks his only way out of ghetto is shooting hoops which kinda gets back to your question about the state of athletics in this country as it relates to the question of race. So there Thierry, that's your answer."

sirabi

News Team
Sep 19, 2005
FZ jan, your point about the way he talks in interviews is actually the one thing about him that bothers me. It's not the subject matter, but I just don't like the way he talks sometimes. It's not because I think he's not smart, because I think he is very intelligent, but the way he tries to sound cutting edge and philosophical all the time is a little annoying. On the other hand, I do genuinely believe that he says a lot of stuff that others don't and some very insightful things about football.

Regarding the racism thing, I've got to agree with him there. I don't think he's denying the huge racism that exists here, but I genuinely think that Europeans could learn a thing or two about how to deal with racism in sport from Americans. I'm not naive enough to not notice the racism in America or in American sports, but at least you don't see authority figures getting away with it so easily. And at least you see people acting on racism. Aragones said that stuff about Henry and what happened? A small fine and nothing else. In America, a coach would have been fired for saying that. And I understand the point you're making about the popularity of the game here, but I honestly don't think what he says will make much difference. He just said what needs to be said, except that in America there is an ear to listen to it or outlets for it, whereas in Europe, no one really cares to hear about it because they don't want to face up to their problems with racism in football.

Although the stuff in the WC was a little theatrical, I don't think he dived as opposed to being run into. I think the ref made a mistake in calling the foul. Over his career, he hardly ever dives.

Babak G

News Team, ISP Managers Team
Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
"Cheating"? Becareful how you label things because you are threading a very very thin line.

If this was cheating then Id like to see what other things in football are labelled as? Murder? Betrayal? Treason?

Feb 6, 2006
Cannavoro is the best defender I have seen ever playing. I mean the way he played in WC06 was the best I have ever seen a defender play. I have seen Bobby Moore, BaykenBauer, Faketi, Passerella, Baresi, Maldini and Costacorta playing great, but none of them has been as solid as this guy.

Also in WC06 Gatuso played his position perfectly, being a deffensive halfback.

Aug 26, 2005
Yeah Henry whines and talks some non-sense time to time - even he readily admits this character flaw - but he's right.

backechap

Nov 22, 2002

Well, I'm not a fan of Henry, in fact I hated the "unenthusiastic" way he played during the entrie world cup. But I do agree with him on this topic. I saw the foul on Henry, and if it's the same one he's talking about, he has every right to say what he said. It was an absolutely disgusting dirty foul. Having siad that, judging from the way he had played in the earlier games, I doubt Henry would have made a difference in the final even without the foul.